A/V Receiver & Gaming Headset Setup Info Needed! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-14-2010, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so here is the situation I am faced with: I have a PlayStation 3, an Aiwa receiver (with only one optical input, no outs, from 2002) and a Trittion AX720 5.1 headset (optical in only). Because I want to use my Aiwa when I watch movies and my headset when I game, I currently have my PS3 going out to a 3 port TOSLINK switch which then allows me to switch between the two. My question is: Is there a better way to do this, maybe through a better receiver?

I cannot seem to find a receiver that has even one optical out, let alone the two I would need to switch between. It's not a huge issue since I have to get up to switch disc's anyway so to hit the switch is no big deal but I'd like the little convenience of not having to.

FYI: I have a Samsung HLT5687 TV that I am connecting this all to that features 3 HDMI inputs and one optical output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-09-2011, 03:40 PM

I have a cheaper Sony receiver that came with 5.1 speakers. It has the lame HDMI "pass-through" setup. I recently purchased an IR wireless headphone system. I have an XBOX 360, DirecTV, and PC hooked up right now. Unfortunately I have to switch the physical hook-ups back and forth from the receiver to the headphones every time I want to alternate between the headphones and speakers.

I thought a receiver with a kind of universal optical out would work perfectly where no matter what device input the receiver is set on, it would output the corresponding sound to the headphones. My wireless headphones can accept one digital coaxial, one optical, and one rca input. I would prefer to have all devices go through the receiver and have the receiver output one signal out an optical out that can hook up to my wireless headphone optical input.

Did you ever find an adequate solution that does not include an additional piece of hardware? Thanks.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-19-2011, 09:38 PM

To answer my own question, I ended up buying a Pioneer VSX-1120-K which has an optical out but it only sends optical out from the optical input. It does not carry the HDMI audio input. I ended up hooking up everything HDMI and then I can set my audio output the "Pass Through" which passes the audio to my tv. My Panasonic plasma tv has an optical out so that's how I'm able to use my wireless headphones with all of my devices.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-21-2011, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwdlnd View Post

To answer my own question, I ended up buying a Pioneer VSX-1120-K which has an optical out but it only sends optical out from the optical input. It does not carry the HDMI audio input. I ended up hooking up everything HDMI and then I can set my audio output the "Pass Through" which passes the audio to my tv. My Panasonic plasma tv has an optical out so that's how I'm able to use my wireless headphones with all of my devices.

Hdwdlnd - I think I have the same exact problem you were having - with the same exact equipment. I'm glad you found a solution, but I was wondering if you could be more specific.

I too have the Pioneer VSX-1120-k with a Panasonic Plasma TV that includes an optical out. See my thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ess+headphones

I was wondering what wireless headphones you are using and what you meant by "I ended up hooking up everything HDMI and then I can set my audio output the "Pass Through" which passes the audio to my tv. My Panasonic plasma tv has an optical out so that's how I'm able to use my wireless headphones with all of my devices."

So does that mean when you aren't using your headphones, all of the audio comes out of your TV speakers and not you're surround sound speakers?
post #5 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 04:58 PM

Years later I reply...I'm sure this is of no interest anymore....

I have the Pioneer SE-DIR800C Wireless Headphones which has two optical inputs. I bring all audio into my receiver with mostly HDMI but it doesn't really matter...I come out of my receiver and go to my TV with an HDMI cable. This passes all audio and video to my TV. When I'm not using my headphones the sound comes out my surround speakers. If I want to listen with my headphones there is an option in the 1120's audio menu that allows HDMI-Passthrough which sends the audio to the HDMI cable going to the TV. I disable my TV speakers through my TV menu and I have my TV optical audio output going to my first optical input on the head unit for my headphones.

I've had the headphones for three years and they are great but all white or very bright scenes on the TV will interfere with the IR signal causing "static" and cutting-out if the headphone receiver is close to the TV. My setup required my receiver to be directly in front of my TV so I would experience this a fair amount. I recently bought a new place and will be setting up a theater room in the basement. I will see if I can get around this interference with my new setup. I would buy these again if I had the chance though.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page