1K budget for a setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-29-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know there are a few separate threads for Speakers and receivers but I was wondering if I might get some feedback here.

Initially I was going to go out and spend about 450.00 or so for just fronts, surrounds, center and a receiver and add a sub later.

I was looking at Jamo 401/400's and an Onkyo 507 refurb which would be about ballpark for that price.

Now I think I've decided to wait it out till near the end of the year and have more money to spend into my first setup that's not an HTIB. I know many things can change from now until then but if you had a 1K budget to spend right now for receiver and all speakers what route would be good one to take?

Is 1K a decent amount to make a few steps up from what I was considering before?

This system will be for movies, games and definitely music via DVD-A 5.1 mixes. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-29-2010, 07:04 PM

I'm nowhere near the expert that so many here are, but if I was working with a $1k budget, I'd be thinking something along these lines:

Speakers:
Fluance SXHTB+ $300
Subwoofer:
HSU STF-1 $300
AVR:
Pioneer-VSX-1019AH-K $400

That's a pretty decent system for $1k. But there may be better options depending on your room, WAF, etc.

Jim Hall
Until there are NONE, please adopt ONE - http://www.petfinder.com
post #3 of 3 Old 05-29-2010, 08:13 PM

Good way to conserve speaker budget by getting a refurb receiver. Here's another good alternative. http://www.ecost.com/Detail/Receiver...avid=155438257
Given overall budget, you should be happy with a Bic F12 sub for @$200 but if music is really important the Hsu STF-1 recommendation is a good one.
http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...er_id=!ORDERID!
For speakers, since you've decided to wait a bit, I would start trolling Craigslist for used deals, especially for surrounds that don't have to match your fronts. You might just get surprised and a great deal on a full 5.1 set from someone who's upgrading. Be sure to audition anything you're interested in.

Mike

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page