Front speaker placement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-30-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How far apart should my fronts be from my tv?

Viewing distance is 10 ft from my 40inch LCD. Should three feet from each side of my tv be fine? What's the range?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-30-2010, 02:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Personally, I like to "scale" the size of the front soundstage closer to the size of the display. An unrealistically wide front soundstage sounds, well... unrealistic. I would try a placement 1 to 2 ft. on either side of the display. I think you might find the audio "image" locks up better with the video image than with a wider stage.

OTOH, many peole prefer that wider soundstage, even with a smaller display. It's all personal preference. Also, Dolby recommends 22 to 30 degrees. You may prefer that.

For 2-channel music listening, a wider stage would be better. Usually an equilateral triangle is recommended.

Bottom line, it's all personal preference. Try it multiple ways and see what *you* like.

Craig
LL

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #3 of 14 Old 05-30-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks, what I dont understand is why would Dolby/DTS say 20-33 degrees from viewing distance from screen if they dont take into consideration TV size? Obviously a bigger tv would probably push speakers further apart which at the end would mean more degrees? From what you see im kinda stuck.. I could put them right next to my center speaker around 2ft away or 4 ft that I have right now. Viewing distance is around 10ft away. (pics make it look closer) Im thinking of going 55-60 inch tv in the future ( once 3D technology goes down in price) i think it should blend my video and sound better
LL
LL
post #4 of 14 Old 05-30-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well done on the 3 identical front speakers!

Can you slide the display to the right a little and then move the left speaker to the other side of the door? Is the listening position centered on the display?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #5 of 14 Old 05-30-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The thing is that the listening position is center to the tv (my bed). I cant move the tv to the right because their is a chimney next to my bed. I can go bigger and fill the wall (with a bigger tv in the future) but thats about it. I was thinking of sliding the tv to the left a bit but it would prob only move everything closer around 1ft.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-30-2010, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Well done on the 3 identical front speakers!

Can you slide the display to the right a little and then move the left speaker to the other side of the door? Is the listening position centered on the display?

Craig

thanks
post #7 of 14 Old 05-30-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Can you move the display over just enough to make room for the left speaker inside the door? Then move the right speaker over next to the display, the same distance away as the left speaker. This will pinch the soundstage, but it may "scale" to your display better. Also, it will move the L/R speakers away from the side walls and reduce the reflections off those walls. Try it. You *might* like it.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #8 of 14 Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang323 View Post

thanks, what I dont understand is why would Dolby/DTS say 20-33 degrees from viewing distance from screen if they dont take into consideration TV size?

The size of the display isn't taken into consideration because the angle isn't measured from the display. It's measured from the listening position. It's measured from the couch in the picture that craig used, but it would be measured from the bed in your case.

There's nothing to see here.

post #9 of 14 Old 06-02-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
The angles of the speakers depends more on the speaker off axis response and not what Dobly generalizes.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #10 of 14 Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

The angles of the speakers depends more on the speaker off axis response and not what Dobly generalizes.

Actually I think that for stereo the 30 dagree each, 60 degree total is about rightish regardless of speakers' off axis response. We're talking more about directional cues and less about the FR effects of off axis response. Deal with axis issues by adjusting toe in, at least sez me. YMMV

On the general topic, I've been running my fronts in the roughly 30 degree setup, which puts tham probably a couple of feet from the TV, without any problems. Experimentally, I placed them significantly farther apart (one potential rearrangement of my room would demand it) and while it was different with movies, I did not find it distracting. I think that's because in most movies most of the sound that's toward the center is present significantly in the center speaker. But I recognize this is likely an unusual personal non-preference kinda thing. Of course it's hopeless for imaging with a stereo signal, but I've tended to use one of the Dolby modes to expand my stereo sources into 5 channel, so the center can sort of (but not fully) fix it. As I said, experimental.

I also suspect that images panned hard left or right are likely to be off-screen sounds anyway, but that's (a) a WAG and (b) sure to differ from movie to movie. I admit it seems weird to me when I see setups that put the three fronts so close togehter that you must be getting "wide mono" with little spatial differentiation. But as others have said before it's personal preference, and you can do what you like.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-02-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

I also suspect that images panned hard left or right are likely to be off-screen sounds anyway, but that's (a) a WAG and (b) sure to differ from movie to movie.

I remember some DVD review site (forgot the name) several years ago sampling a few dozen films to see whether hard panned sounds coincided with images at the edge of the screen OR with objects just off-screen. It's what you suspected: different from movie to movie. There were some soundtracks that sounded right with the L/R speakers placed against the sides of a RPTV or just inside an acoustically transparent screen, while other movies tracked better with the L/R speakers spread away from the display. So, like you said, it comes down to personal preference.

Sanjay
post #12 of 14 Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

anyone recommend any bluerays that have great amount of 5.1 panning?

Something that can give me a pretty good idea how my speakers mix with the video?
post #13 of 14 Old 06-04-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang323 View Post

anyone recommend any bluerays that have great amount of 5.1 panning?

Something that can give me a pretty good idea how my speakers mix with the video?

Don't know if it's out on Blu-ray, but try chapter 11 of 'Mission to Mars', where the mission commander's voice circles the room. You'll get a good idea of how well your various speakers are timbre matched AND how well the audio tracks with the video.

Sanjay
post #14 of 14 Old 06-05-2010, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's funny , I have mission to mars but on dvd
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page