Need suggestions for simple 2 channel system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to put together a simple 2 channel (or 2.1) system for my living room. While there is a tv in the room, I don't want or need a home theater setup, as that will live downstairs.

What I want is something very simple and clean. Ideally, I'd like an integrated CD/DVD/Receiver so I can reduce the number of components and cables (This needs to live in a small corner of the room). I found info on the Klipsch CS-700 online which would be ideal if it hadn't been discontinued.

I'm not an audiophile, and I don't want to spend a big whack of cash. I don't want a HTIB setup that comes with six speakers. I don't need a 5.1 receiver, as I will not be hooking up surround speakers or a center channel.

Anyone got some component suggestions? I've found a Sony 2 channel receiver (SRDH100 I think) which will work with my budget if I can pair it with some decent bookshelf speakers, but I'm hoping someone here knows of an integrated solution that might work for me.

Thanks,
Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 173
NAD L-54 all in one unit at Audio Advisor for $400.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 327
So what is your budget? Can't begin to help you without that.

I would avoid all-in-one solutions if at all possible.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #4 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

I don't want to spend more than $600 with speakers. Cheap, yes, but I have too many expensive hobbies to make audiophilia another one.

I'm wary of all-in-one solutions, too, but I want something tidy. I do have a serviceable DVD player, so I could live with just a receiver and not necessarily a combo.

If it weren't for the fact I have a large space one of the micro shelf systems would be ideal. I don't think they'll be loud enough, though.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

NAD L-54 all in one unit at Audio Advisor for $400.

Thanks, that looks really promising.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazednconfused View Post

I want to put together a simple 2 channel (or 2.1) system for my living room. While there is a tv in the room, I don't want or need a home theater setup, as that will live downstairs.

What I want is something very simple and clean. Ideally, I'd like an integrated CD/DVD/Receiver so I can reduce the number of components and cables (This needs to live in a small corner of the room). I found info on the Klipsch CS-700 online which would be ideal if it hadn't been discontinued.

I'm not an audiophile, and I don't want to spend a big whack of cash. I don't want a HTIB setup that comes with six speakers. I don't need a 5.1 receiver, as I will not be hooking up surround speakers or a center channel.

Anyone got some component suggestions? I've found a Sony 2 channel receiver (SRDH100 I think) which will work with my budget if I can pair it with some decent bookshelf speakers, but I'm hoping someone here knows of an integrated solution that might work for me.

Thanks,
Dean

Take a look at a refurb Harman/kardon HK 3490 240 Watt Receiver, - a very capable 2 channel receiver selling on eBay usually under $200 shipped. There are many decent CD/DVD players for around $50 (or less) from Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, etc. You may only need one connection from the CD/DVD player to the receiver.

You should have at least $350 for a nice pair of speakers. Many solid choices at this price point in the speaker section here. I'll start by recommending these but many other great choices. If you decide to go for used speakers, you'll do even better.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-05-2010, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 327
$600 is quite doable. The key is to maximize your speaker budget (which is why all-in-ones typically are not a good value). One of the Onkyo stereo receivers should suit. For speakers, PSB, Paradigm or Infinity Primus on the low end are good places to start.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page