7.1 audio L&R immediate surround speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have a 7.1 HT system and have always found the output of the L & R immediate surround sound speakers to be reticent, when compared to the output of the rear most speakers. In calibration, the speakers all have about the same loudness of the test tone, one at a time. Or another way of putting it is that most of the surround sound comes from the rear most speakers. All of the surround sound speakers are 3 way with all of the speakers set to small, including the front speakers, deferring to the sub-woofer. This is especially true for 5.1 audio on a blu-ray disc. The rear most speakers are Infinity P362's while the immediate L&R speakers are an old pair of Infinity Qb's. Recently, I had four Polk R50's in those positions and still got the same type of output, in terms of volume. The Infinity speakers are a lot better, but then it is a three way speakers versus two way speakers with a dramatic difference in cost. I am curious as to the experience of those with full range, tower type speakers in the surround positions whether or not the immediate R&L speakers are also somewhat turned down, compared to the rear speakers assuming the same speakers in all four of the surround sound positions. Is it worthwhile to upgrade the Qb's to a pair of Infinity P362's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-24-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Any chance you've got your rear speakers wired to the surround outputs? I ask because with 5.1, you shouldn't have any sound coming out of the rears. With matrix processing such as PLIIx, the rears should not have most of the sound.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-24-2010, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Any chance you've got your rear speakers wired to the surround outputs? I ask because with 5.1, you shouldn't have any sound coming out of the rears. With matrix processing such as PLIIx, the rears should not have most of the sound.

Always learn something new. I ignored the PLIIx button on the remote control of the Panasonic SA-BX500. I would assume that it is ON because the manual states: The technology enables you to play 5.1-channel Dolby Digital and DTS sources on 7.1 channels (when two surround back speakers are connected to the unit)....................

The overall sound is front dominant with the rear most speakers providing an amazing fill-in.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 5 Old 06-25-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Always learn something new. I ignored the PLIIx button on the remote control of the Panasonic SA-BX500. I would assume that it is ON because the manual states: The technology enables you to play 5.1-channel Dolby Digital and DTS sources on 7.1 channels (when two surround back speakers are connected to the unit)....................

The overall sound is front dominant with the rear most speakers providing an amazing fill-in.

The manual is not totally explicit.

a) You have to engage PLIIx if you want it to function.

b) >>when two surround back speakers are connected to the unit<< means the back speakers are present, in addition to the side speakers. The sides are "the surrounds" and in a direct 5.1 playback mode, they will be operating and the rears will be silent. Hence BIslander's question, since what you describe is the opposite effect.

Once you have confirmed each speaker is connected to the correct channel, then try PLIIx Movie mode and see if that helps.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page