set-up Karaoke system at home - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-28-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am a newbie who just moved to a new house.

I have a HDTV and a DVD player (they are connected via HDMI cable). I have also a bunch of karaoke DVD discs. So I want to set up a karaoke system in my entertainment room. I know I am going to purchase a microphone. But I was told that I must also have a mixer AND a receiver (don't even know what they are) and a set of speakers to make everything work. Is that true?

Also, since my DVD player is connected to the TV via HDMI cable, how do I get the sound to come out on the speakers?

I am not interested in speaking a lot of money. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-01-2010, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

BTW, I have figured out that I connect the DVD player to the receiver using a HDMI cable and the receiver to the TV with another HDMI cable. This is probably the easiest to ensure the best video and audio quality.

It is my understanding that if I have a karaoke mixer, I connect it between the DVD player and the receiver. But I have not seem any mixer to be connected via HDMI. If not using HDMI, I don't know other ways I can make the connection to ensure the highest quality for both video and audio. If you know, please let me know! Thanks.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-01-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
You'll have to buy a cheap mixer (or expensive, whatever -- you can spend from under $100 to over $100k for a mixer) and use the analog outputs from the DVD and into the TV when doing the karaoke thing. There are other ways, but that is the easiest and cheapest for something like this (imo). I suspect the difference between that and HDMI sound will be minimal, especially for people trying to rememebr the words and the tune... You might have to tweak some delay settings to synch up the sound and picture.

For mixers, look at places like Sweetwater Sound (www.sweetwater.com), Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, even Radio Shack or Best Buy (they are beefing their music-production type stuff, mostly online). Behringer makes a cheap little one that should do what you want.

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4 of 8 Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 AM

Unless you plan to do a lot of singing I would recommend just purchasing a cheap dvd player which includes a karaoke feature. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/TOSHIBA-SD-K69.../ref=de_a_smtd

Connect the dvd player to the tv using component cables and connect the dvd player to a receiver using digital. There's really no need for hdmi cables because most karaoke video is not hi-def. All of the stuff I've seen (and I have close to 100 karaoke dvds) seems like the video was shot using a flip camcorder!
post #5 of 8 Old 07-01-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
^^^ +1 -- that sounds like a great idea to me!

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6 of 8 Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I have seen upconvert DVD player (not sure blu-ray player) with karaoke function. So I guess getting one is the easiest way and removing a mixer from the picture altogether.

My current DVD player has a coaxial connection capability. Would that be useful in any way?
post #7 of 8 Old 07-01-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicking View Post

My current DVD player has a coaxial connection capability. Would that be useful in any way?

The coax connection is just one way to connect the dvd player to your tv. Depending on what your dvd player offers you also have component, composite and hdmi.

Coaxial and hdmi carry both video and audio signals so you only need the one cable. Composite and component carry the signals separately.

It really all comes down to how you want to set up your system.

If you only want to use the tv for both picture and sound then you would hook up your karaoke dvd player directly to the tv.

If you decide to purchase a stereo system, then you would connect the video from the dvd to your tv and you would connect the audio from the dvd to your stereo system.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-10-2012, 02:15 PM

You can find at least thirty models of DVD karaoke players with built in microphone mixing jacks on them.
One website I recomend is Acesonic.com - they are one of the better karaoke dvd player sellers available in the USA.
Googling "Karaoke Player" will bring up hundreds of US dealers for DVD Karaoke players.
Most will play CDG (CD+G), Video CD (VCD), and DVD with no problem, you can check all the specs online too!
DVD players with Karaoke function will play your singing and music through the TV,so they do not require an external microphone mixer or reciever, but they do come with the option to hook up external amplifiers if you want to crank it up.
Almost all have jacks for two microphones, and have level and echo control knobs to adjust your sound against the music.
The brands I have tried over the years are Acesonic, CAVS, Vocopro, Malata, RJ Tech / Iview. RSQ, Arirang, Vidtech, ProAudio, BKV, Martin Ranger, JVC, Sony, Samsung, and some older ones no longer around.
There are over thirty brands that can be found on the internet however getting service is problematic for any none US warrantied units, although you can buy them anyway if you like. My next player will be a DVD Karaoke play from Mad Boy Audio Model MFP-2000.
You can find units of most brands with HDMI,S Video, Composite Video(RCA coax), Component Video(RGB), VGA(PC), and Scart(Europeon) Video outputs,
And Audio output will usually be Stereo, 5.1, Toslink Digital(Coaxial) or SPDIF Optical Fiber
HDMI output requires only one HDMI cable to send picture and sound together to your TV set if your High Definition Widescreen has HDMI jacks (most have at least one).
Good Luck Karaoke Hunting!
rocknemeth
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page