7.1 surround speaker output - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-03-2010, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Of the surround sound speakers, it always seems in my setup that the rear most speakers are dominant compared to the immediate R&L surround speakers, even if the speakers are all the same brand and model. Is this typical? Or do I need to go back and tweak the calibration settings for the R&L surrounds and boost them? Curiously during the speaker calibration via the AVR, the test tones from all of the surround speakers are at the same volume level. Or another spin on this is that the immediate R&L surrounds are the least important speakers in a 7.1 home theater system and it may not be advisable to spend much on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-03-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Of the surround sound speakers, it always seems in my setup that the rear most speakers are dominant compared to the immediate R&L surround speakers, even if the speakers are all the same brand and model. Is this typical? Or do I need to go back and tweak the calibration settings for the R&L surrounds and boost them? Curiously during the speaker calibration via the AVR, the test tones from all of the surround speakers are at the same volume level. Or another spin on this is that the immediate R&L surrounds are the least important speakers in a 7.1 home theater system and it may not be advisable to spend much on them.

Something's not right if your rear surrounds are more dominant than the side surrounds. If the channel levels are set properly (using a SPL meter), most surround material will come from the sides, and 5.1 surround material will come from the sides, leaving the rears unused.

Check your speaker cables to make 100% sure that you didn't plug the rear surrounds into the side surround terminals and vice versa.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #3 of 8 Old 07-03-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

Something's not right if your rear surrounds are more dominant than the side surrounds. If the channel levels are set properly (using a SPL meter), most surround material will come from the sides, and 5.1 surround material will come from the sides, leaving the rears unused.

Check your speaker cables to make 100% sure that you didn't plug the rear surrounds into the side surround terminals and vice versa.

Ah, back to basics. Checked the wiring connections and they are correct, leaving the possibility that inside the AVR the surround sound connections are reversed so that the rear most speakers are receiving the feed for the immediate surrounds and vice versa. For the sake of discussion, let's say that's true which might imply that there is no pressing reason to buy matching speakers for the rear most surrounds? At one time I had four Polk two way R50's in those positions, but they have been replaced with better 3 way speakers.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-03-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

.............leaving the possibility that inside the AVR the surround sound connections are reversed so that the rear most speakers are receiving the feed for the immediate surrounds and vice versa.

That is not a possibility.

Have you calibrated your setup properly? What processing are you applying to provide you with 7.1 audio?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 8 Old 07-03-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

That is not a possibility.

Have you calibrated your setup properly? What processing are you applying to provide you with 7.1 audio?

Standard stuff. I have a Panasonic SA-BX500 and run through the auto speaker set up via a microphone at about ear level pointed towards the ceiling. The out put has always been the same with the immediate R&L surrounds definitely suppressed, when compared to the rear most speakers. This isn't a huge deal, but if my results are abnormal, then I would just switch the inputs on the back of the AVR. As you say, it really is not a possibility because the test signals during the calibration are always in the proper orientation. Still, quite curious. Just so that readers can understand, after the Polk R50's were pulled out of the rear most surround speaker position, I put in a pair of 30 yr old Infinity Qb's that sounded dramatically better than the R50's, not too surprising. I still had a pair of the Polk R50's in the immediate surround positions. Then I got a pair of Infinity P362's that I moved into the rear most surround positions and moved the Qb's into the immediate surround position. And that is where I am at today. The pressing question to me is whether or not to pick up another pair of Infinity P362's and replace the Infinity Qb's. There is always the possibility that the AVR is defective in some respect?
post #6 of 8 Old 07-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I ran into a similar problem with Dynamic EQ turned on with a Denon Receiver. Might be worth going through your menus and making sure you don't have anything turned on.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1248730
post #7 of 8 Old 07-03-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate View Post

I ran into a similar problem with Dynamic EQ turned on with a Denon Receiver. Might be worth going through your menus and making sure you don't have anything turned on.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1248730

Well, my dense understanding is that once the speaker calibration is done via the AVR, then the resulting info is processed and something is spit out and that becomes the default for the audio output throughout whatever HT system one might have. I suppose that the speaker calibration is somewhat primitive but it should take into account the speaker distances from the microphone and set appropriate delays, one way or another. It also sets whether the speakers are designated small or large, depending upon the output of the subwoofer, as well as the crossover for the subwoofer. There is always the possibility that the calibration system just gets confused. For the present, I have just accepted the calibration when it came to setting the speakers. Whenever I get back my main front speakers from repair, I can start to play around with this stuff in earnest. It is somewhat humorous to encounter these sorts of problems after setting up the HT system 18 months ago. For me, it turns out to be continual tweaking as well as upgrading components. That is the path and I have learned a lot along the way. Then there is always the continual thought of how I can improve it and not break the bank. That is the challenge and the fun of setting up a home theater system.

Anyway, I don't exactly understand what you are getting at when you write not to have anything turned on. If you are referring to the calibration procedure, then the only thing that is on is the AVR and the powered subwoofer. Everything else is electrically off.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-24-2012, 11:59 AM

Liked: 10

Hi! Has this been resolved or your problem remains? I just want to share that I have the same problem and when I called the Oppo Technical Support, he said there is no known issue like this. On my previous test, I still had my Oppo 981 so I was able to compare the exact same settings except of course the trim as 980 has 7.1 and the delay which is in feet for Oppo980 and in inches for Oppo 981. Also in 980, it is the actual distance while in 981 it uses the difference between the Front Left/Right to the Center, SL ,SW and SR. Anyway, I have the same issue so I think there must be a technical problem that was missed by Oppo.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page