AVS Forum banner

The "Official" xtz Room Analyzer Thread

76K views 583 replies 69 participants last post by  sleepysurf 
#1 · (Edited)
XTZ Room Analyzer II is a room acoustics measurement system: http://www.xtz.se/en/products/measurements/rooma-analyzer-ii

The system includes a microphone, soundcard/base and cables for connecting to the audio system and a computer:

● Complete analysis toolkit
● Easy to use
● Room Analyzer
● RTA Real Time Analyzer
● Frequency response measurement
● Full frequency 2D waterfall plot
● SPL - Full frequency measurement
● SPL Peak and average meter

● High precesion electret microphone
● Tolerance +/-2dB
● Goosneck in metal
● Microphonehouse in aluminum
● XLR connectors in aluminum
● Included cables

The manual can be found here:
http://www.xtz.se//product-assets/measure-systems/room-analyzer/manuals/RAENG.pdf

The software can be downloaded here:
http://www.xtz.se/en/support/file-archive

A demonstration of the system can be found here:
http://www.xtz.se/page-assets/support/file-archive/files/roomanalyzer_demo.zip

Sample graphs:

XTZ Room Analyzer Standard Videos by Nyal Mellor:

Attachments

See less See more
2 4
#352 ·
Hi Philips

Thanks for your suggestions and finally we might be onto something

While going through the various screenshot requests I have found that with the XTZ connected and you then see the XTZ mic that under its properties the mic level is showing 35, the volume mixer for XTZ is 100 and you do not get green on the output level

Adjusting the properties mic level to 100 and with the volume mixer set at say 89 the XTZ output level goes green perfect

I then carried out measure but the output again was low, went back into XTZ Mic level and it has reduced back to 35 which to me invalidated the measurement

So where to go from here, any suggestions more than welcome

Regards

Andy

#353 ·
Hi Craig

Thanks again for your comprehensive reply which I take on board

If you check my reply to Philips you will see that we have perhaps found a reason why I can't get the correct level on the XTZ output level meter

If you can again bear with me until this is resolved then we can progress with the system set up

Regards

Andy

#354 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips751  /t/1264522/the-official-xtz-room-analyzer-thread/330#post_23434718

Here is a easy way of dong it, i was going to give instructions, but i think you just want to sort it.

Go to this link www.tweaking.com and download the following
Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All in One) v1.9.14 Released

Run step 2 and 3 they do both.

Also this is a awesome all round fix, but in the meantime.

Also i think you have missed some info required in post 340, more screen shots.

Hi Phlips

Thanks for the link

Downloaded and run windows repair so will see if there is any improvement to Laptop performance

#355 ·
Mine - Win7-64 - does the mic 35 thing.

I should wait for later to post this, I got my first bass trap today so will be playing with ztz later, but, maybe you're okay and don't know it?

You're looking at the bar during test, and I'm not sure mine goes green then either. All that matters is what you see on the spl meter when running it seems to me, and I get ~72 db.

There's so much posted in this conversation I've lost track, but try this. Set slider to max. Set windows speaker volume to max. Adjust AVR volume to get at least 70 db when running room analyzer. I have to use -3 db or so on mine to get that (loudest normal setting for me is -14 db.) In other words, ignore the test thing, just set it to produce what you need - does that work without the bump?

#356 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames  /t/1264522/the-official-xtz-room-analyzer-thread/330#post_23438105

Mine - Win7-64 - does the mic 35 thing.

I should wait for later to post this, I got my first bass trap today so will be playing with ztz later, but, maybe you're okay and don't know it?

You're looking at the bar during test, and I'm not sure mine goes green then either. All that matters is what you see on the spl meter when running it seems to me, and I get ~72 db.

There's so much posted in this conversation I've lost track, but try this. Set slider to max. Set windows speaker volume to max. Adjust AVR volume to get at least 70 db when running room analyzer. I have to use -3 db or so on mine to get that (loudest normal setting for me is -14 db.) In other words, ignore the test thing, just set it to produce what you need - does that work without the bump?

Hi fjames

Thanks for the reply and yes I do seem to have taken over the thread, hopefully I will be gone shortly

Along the way I have set the slider to max, windows speaker volume to max and if I did have the AVR volume at -3 then I would end up with the bump

I need the AVR at around -12 -15 to prevent that.

The resultant chart according to other users does not show a high enough reading in db's to be a valid reading

I would like to get the XTZ to work as per the plug and play design, which is press test, get output level into green, then measure the room

I appreciate that you are experiencing the same issue as I am having, and welcome your suggestion but hope there is an alternative solution

Regards

Andy

#357 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor  /t/1264522/the-official-xtz-room-analyzer-thread/330#post_23435862

Hi Philips

Thanks for your suggestions and finally we might be onto something

While going through the various screenshot requests I have found that with the XTZ connected and you then see the XTZ mic that under its properties the mic level is showing 35, the volume mixer for XTZ is 100 and you do not get green on the output level

Adjusting the properties mic level to 100 and with the volume mixer set at say 89 the XTZ output level goes green perfect

I then carried out measure but the output again was low, went back into XTZ Mic level and it has reduced back to 35 which to me invalidated the measurement

So where to go from here, any suggestions more than welcome

Regards

Andy

First of all adjust the XTZ SPL meter to Slow C weighting and take note of the LCS reading, if that is in the 70 - 80 mark that is ok.

Run the measurements with mains at the moment, not the sub this will make measurements louder because more frequencies are involved >120hz.

Windows reverts back to default which is 35. Now when you hook up the mic make sure it is connected to the same USB port, it recognizes the mic each time.

I meant run the CHKDISK and SFC/Scannow from that software (you did this?) to make things easy, but if you have done the repair that is ok too.

I wouldn't have the mic set to anymore than 50% personally.+ the laptops speakers are muted.

For test sake try revert back to setting the internal mic back to default and then restart the laptop, plug in mic etc then open XTZ software, re run measurements.

With the Recording and Speakers please post the Advanced window as well, sorry should have asked last time. Windows have settings in there that might interfere.

#359 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips751  /t/1264522/the-official-xtz-room-analyzer-thread/330#post_23438280

First of all adjust the XTZ SPL meter to Slow C weighting and take note of the LCS reading, if that is in the 70 - 80 mark that is ok.

Run the measurements with mains at the moment, not the sub this will make measurements louder because more frequencies are involved >120hz.

Windows reverts back to default which is 35. Now when you hook up the mic make sure it is connected to the same USB port, it recognizes the mic each time.

I meant run the CHKDISK and SFC/Scannow from that software (you did this?) to make things easy, but if you have done the repair that is ok too.

I wouldn't have the mic set to anymore than 50% personally.+ the laptops speakers are muted.

For test sake try revert back to setting the internal mic back to default and then restart the laptop, plug in mic etc then open XTZ software, re run measurements.

With the Recording and Speakers please post the Advanced window as well, sorry should have asked last time. Windows have settings in there that might interfere.

Yes I did the CHKDISK and SFC/Scannow + repair for good measure

I had this as well forgot to post

Early morning here will follow up the rest later

Thanks

Andy

#360 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor  /t/1264522/the-official-xtz-room-analyzer-thread/330#post_23438351

Yes I did the CHKDISK and SFC/Scannow + repair for good measure

I had this as well forgot to post

Early morning here will follow up the rest later

Thanks

Andy

Change both Recording and Speakers (Advanced) to 48000 DVD Quality.

Also above screenshots, default settings etc.

#361 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips751  /t/1264522/the-official-xtz-room-analyzer-thread/330#post_23438757

Change both Recording and Speakers (Advanced) to 48000 DVD Quality.

Also above screenshots, default settings etc.

Hi

Managed to change the default Microphone, speakers, and digital Audio (S/PDiF) to 48000 DVD

All other devices second microphone and line In 48000 DVD is not supported

I will try XTZ tonight and check, and if possible change the settings in the properties

Hopefully this helps

I have also been in touch with XTZ support and advised of the microphone properties defaulting to 35 and they have requested screenshots to give to the programmer

Thanks for the input

Andy

#362 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor  /t/1264522/the-official-xtz-room-analyzer-thread/360#post_23439653

Hi

Managed to change the default Microphone, speakers, and digital Audio (S/PDiF) to 48000 DVD

All other devices second microphone and line In 48000 DVD is not supported

I will try XTZ tonight and check, and if possible change the settings in the properties

Hopefully this helps

I have also been in touch with XTZ support and advised of the microphone properties defaulting to 35 and they have requested screenshots to give to the programmer

Thanks for the input

Andy

Does the RTA work ok?

Have you tried plugging the mic etc in before opening XTZ software?

Try speaking into the mic and also try the RTA with this.

#363 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips751  /t/1264522/the-official-xtz-room-analyzer-thread/360#post_23443011

Does the RTA work ok?

Have you tried plugging the mic etc in before opening XTZ software?

Try speaking into the mic and also try the RTA with this.[/quote

]RTA level is also low, on checking the XTZ mic level in properties it defaults to 14 when in

RTA so I have to manually increase to get a decent reading

I always make sure the XTZ is connected before opening the software

Support at XTZ also suggested this, the microphone and RTA responds ok as does the SPL

XTZ Support advises that a reading of 35 in the XTZ Mic properties is correct and is set by the program

Would any members be kind enough to check their reading, and also under RTA

Thanks Andy

#364 ·
Ok i have already posted for other people to check there settings (Windows 8), maybe 7 as well could help.

Checked mine (XP) use to use Vista , yesterday and the volume for the mic is set to 35 and volume on the speakers (laptop) are muted. XTZ volume is just over half and i get SPL off about 72 on full range.

Also try changing the mic and speaker to 44100 CD Quality, i know this is not necessarily right but might help.

Another idea is to disable your Antivirus, some reject/play up with foreign programmes and plug in mic and open XTZ.

I would keep in contact with XTZ.

BTW don't use registry cleaners (although CC is one of the better) just use that Repair as this resets Windows and works with Windows. I have stopped using the Registry cleaner and the computer runs better, watch out for updates.

#365 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips751  /t/1264522/the-official-xtz-room-analyzer-thread/360#post_23446576

Ok i have already posted for other people to check there settings (Windows 8), maybe 7 as well could help.

Checked mine (XP) use to use Vista , yesterday and the volume for the mic is set to 35 and volume on the speakers (laptop) are muted. XTZ volume is just over half and i get SPL off about 72 on full range.

Also try changing the mic and speaker to 44100 CD Quality, i know this is not necessarily right but might help.

Another idea is to disable your Antivirus, some reject/play up with foreign programmes and plug in mic and open XTZ.

I would keep in contact with XTZ.

BTW don't use registry cleaners (although CC is one of the better) just use that Repair as this resets Windows and works with Windows. I have stopped using the Registry cleaner and the computer runs better, watch out for updates.

Thanks for confirming the 35 setting, it wont matter what OS owners are using in this regard as that is as 35 is per design according to XTZ

I don't have any antivirus as Windows 8 has it built into the OS, of course I can disable it and try as suggested

I have noted your suggestion as to computer maintenance it sounds like a plan

Finally I am coming to the conclusion that the microphone might be faulty

XTZ suggested talking loudly into the mic and I should see greater than 60dB on the SPL meter, I get 45-50dB

Increasing the mic level in properties to 100 (Which I'm told I should not have to ) and it reads approx. 85dB

I am waiting for XTZ to respond and come up with a solution as I am now getting bored tweeking levels I am not supposed to use to get some kind of satisfaction

Many thanks for your help, I would not have discovered the "Hidden Levels" without your persistence

Andy

#366 ·
One final post to thank all participant's who have responded to my questions

I have learned a lot

Just to say that my system before XTZ and coming here sounds fantastic but the replies provided here suggests it can and will be better

My aim was to get the best LP speaker and subwoofer positioning which you cant do without XTZ ( Forget REW I'm not interested )

Although I am having unresolved problems with XTZ I think it is a fantastic tool

By unconventional use of the Mic level I have already found better positions for my Subwoofers and see reduced ringing in the time domain

I only wish it would work as design because then I could just get on with it, I still have a lot of readings I wish to make before finally running Audyssey

So again many thanks

I will report back if XTZ support resolves my issues

Andy

#367 ·

Quote:
Just to say that my system before XTZ and coming here sounds fantastic but the replies provided here suggests it can and will be better

Yes it can
Quote:
My aim was to get the best LP speaker and subwoofer positioning which you cant do without XTZ ( Forget REW I'm not interested )

Agree with that + more
Quote:
By unconventional use of the Mic level I have already found better positions for my Subwoofers and see reduced ringing in the time domain

Thats great being able to let Audyssey do as little as possible.
Quote:
I only wish it would work as design because then I could just get on with it, I still have a lot of readings I wish to make before finally running Audyssey

Frustrations will be worth it in the long run.
Quote:
I will report back if XTZ support resolves my issues

Yes please.

Also post your graphs and findings once you are up and running.

#368 ·
Hi Guys

Well I managed to borrow another laptop and

Pressing test now achieves green on the XTZ output level

The difference is dramatic as on RTA the levels respond to people speaking in the room where before the bars hardly came off the bottom at 20dB

In room analyser readings now show up to 70dB in the scale

So the problem must lie in my Laptop sound card

Unless this can be resolved I suppose a new Laptop is on the cards

I don't know if an external sound card would be an option as there is no mention in the manual how this would interface

I am glad that the hardware is OK though

Regards

Andy

#369 ·

Quote:
Well I managed to borrow another laptop and

Was it the same operating system as yours?

What is your OS system?

If so did you take note of the settings for comparison with yours?
Quote:
So the problem must lie in my Laptop sound card

I didn't think that the laptops sound card is used, XTZ has this?
Quote:
Unless this can be resolved I suppose a new Laptop is on the cards

Before jumping in to a new laptop have you sent this to XTZ?
Quote:
I don't know if an external sound card would be an option as there is no mention in the manual how this would interface

Not as far as i know.

XTZ sound card does this i think.

Please post back with your findings and notes.

#370 ·

Quote:
Was it the same operating system as yours?

What is your OS system?

No it was Windows 7

I use Windows 8 Pro
Quote:
If so did you take note of the settings for comparison with yours?

Unfortunately didn't have time as the owner had to go and the battery ran out
Quote:

I have seen conflicting information that the box that comes with XTZ is a pre amp, another that it is a soundcard, might be both?
Quote:
Before jumping in to a new laptop have you sent this to XTZ?

I have advised XTZ and queried the sound card problem hopefully they will confirm if the laptop soundcard is used

Of note my computer originally had Vista and I upgraded to Windows 8, I have heard of issues with Vista using REW and I think also with XTZ

Although I did a clean install obviously it is the original soundcard, will be checking the web to find out if the vist issue was hardware related

Apologies for the format of the reply, can't figure how to quote then give a reply?

Thanks again

Andy

#371 ·

Quote:
No it was Windows 7

Windows 7 was great, arguably Windows OS best.
Quote:
I use Windows 8 Pro

Still should work under 8
Quote:

I have seen conflicting information that the box that comes with XTZ is a pre amp, another that it is a soundcard, might be both?

It is both as far as i know.
Quote:
Of note my computer originally had Vista and I upgraded to Windows 8, I have heard of issues with Vista using REW and I think also with XTZ

Maybe this could cause problems.

Did you upgrade yourself or someone do it for you?

When upgrading you need to update drivers as well, see manufacturer website.
Quote:
Although I did a clean install obviously it is the original soundcard, will be checking the web to find out if the vist issue was hardware related

Check for Windows 8 drivers under the manufacturer website.
Quote:
Apologies for the format of the reply, can't figure how to quote then give a reply?

Highlight text

Click quotation symbol (left of plain text) that puts QUOTE both ends of the text you just highlighted

Drop down a line after the end QUOTE

Type your reply at the end of the last QUOTE
Quote:
Thanks again

Andy[

No problems nice to see people appreciate, thank you.

#372 ·
Hi Again

As XTZ support have been dragging their feet with my issues I managed to get a second brand new laptop with windows 8 to check if I can get green when pushing test on the output meter prior to measure

With my AVR master volume at -5

The result is exactly the same as my own Laptop the output level fails to go green and the db readings on charts when doing a test seem low

Running the AVR test tones in RTA only shows readings of 40db, my hand held SPL meter reads 75db

Can anyone suggest any tests I can do to confirm the XTZ Room analyser is functioning properly?

I think I would be wasting my time doing any room analysis unless I can achieve adequate SPL readings on the charts

Thanks again

Andy

#373 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor  /t/1264522/the-official-xtz-room-analyzer-thread/360#post_23537410

Hi Again

As XTZ support have been dragging their feet with my issues I managed to get a second brand new laptop with windows 8 to check if I can get green when pushing test on the output meter prior to measure

With my AVR master volume at -5

The result is exactly the same as my own Laptop the output level fails to go green and the db readings on charts when doing a test seem low

Running the AVR test tones in RTA only shows readings of 40db, my hand held SPL meter reads 75db

Can anyone suggest any tests I can do to confirm the XTZ Room analyser is functioning properly?

I think I would be wasting my time doing any room analysis unless I can achieve adequate SPL readings on the charts

Thanks again

Andy

To keep things basic can you get a XP machine, even a PC?

XTZ have normally good service.

Maybe its a hardware problem.

I agree that doing measurements is not viable at this stage.

Something you can look at is when the mic is plugged in and XTZ software opened, the laptops settings sound in both mic and speaker settings does it show "working"

Make sure the mic is plugged in before opening the software.

#374 ·

Quote:
To keep things basic can you get a XP machine, even a PC?
As per a previous post I borrowed a laptop with windows 7 and XTZ room analyser seemed to work fine although I only had the laptop for an hour so couldn't do much with it

As my Laptop is 5 yrs old and I have been thinking of replacing it anyway so I have just ordered a new one with Windows 7 Pro so will see how that goes
Quote:
Maybe its a hardware problem.
My Laptop is an Acer Aspire with Windows 8, and the New one I bought and returned was also a Acer Aspire with Windows 8
Quote:
Something you can look at is when the mic is plugged in and XTZ software opened, the laptops settings sound in both mic and speaker settings does it show "working"
I have not noticed working anywhere but I'll check it out
Quote:
Make sure the mic is plugged in before opening the software
I have been doing that since suggested in a previous post

Thanks again for the reply and suggestions, will report back once I get the Windows 7 machine ( Not Acer)

#375 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor  /t/1264522/the-official-xtz-room-analyzer-thread/360#post_23541544

As per a previous post I borrowed a laptop with windows 7 and XTZ room analyser seemed to work fine although I only had the laptop for an hour so couldn't do much with it

As my Laptop is 5 yrs old and I have been thinking of replacing it anyway so I have just ordered a new one with Windows 7 Pro so will see how that goes

My Laptop is an Acer Aspire with Windows 8, and the New one I bought and returned was also a Acer Aspire with Windows 8

I have not noticed working anywhere but I'll check it out

I have been doing that since suggested in a previous post

Thanks again for the reply and suggestions, will report back once I get the Windows 7 machine ( Not Acer)

I had mine running on a Acer Aspire ok

Yeah check under the XTZ label will be there or similar. Where it says "unavailable" on others there will be a sign saying this.

I can't remember what settings mine was, using a different OS now.

With the "Sound" then both "Playback" and "Recording" change the default to the laptops mic and speaker.

Try this with XTZ plugged in and then not plugged in.

Sorry i meant the XTZ hardware was faulty.

#376 ·
Hi

I have finally received a reply from XTZ Quote

Unfortunately for some reason I have never been able to download a link from a XTZ email, nor from the website

I have sent XTZ at least three emails asking why, but have up till now not received a reply

I have never had so poor support from a company this is a month now emailing and hitting a brick wall, they now have different software version with higher output for W8, and as you can see no admission or explaination that there is/was a problem

this is my request
Quote:
Try as I might I cannot download and install software from your link, or the XTZ website

Also as I am already a registered customer why does the system insist on asking me to register every time I try a download?

I get as far as inputting all my details , then when I enter my serial number the download bar starts to run green before you get a chance to click download, then nothing happens and you have to go right from the start again

The only time I have been able to download is when I fist bought the product, I couldn't download the version 2.32 they sent ,and they then sent the link via Dropbox, the installer program from there was entirely different than the website and worked fine

I also have never had any problems downloading software from anywhere else, but their site is useless i.e how do you update the software?

ANSWER, you cant you have to uninstall and register as a customer at every attempt.to install the latest version

Why register in the first place the download page doesn't ask if you are an existing customer, or already registered?

I now really wish I had returned XTZ room analyser at the beginning of this saga and tried REW

I feel I am computer literate but also feel like a fool trying to get a satisfactory response from XTZ