Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 442 Old 09-03-2010, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchong View Post

There's no rattling of the internals in my unit.

When sitting idle I don't get any interference/noise from my mains. However, when doing the sweep (in the full range measurement) I do get a like a soft, high pitched whine from my mains.

Many thanks for the replly ,
I was giving up on getting a response.
I have sent it back due to the problems I highlighted and also issues I have with the product.
Going to give REW a try

Regards
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 442 Old 09-03-2010, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Well, I already owned a mic stand, but I had to buy a universal mic holder and then "customize" it to hold the tiny mic. Also had to buy an extension for the mic cable. Kludgey, but it works.

The mic cable being the USB cable? I tried to separate the USB connector from the base and just extend the RCA connector (which I thought was the mic cable) and did not work?

Two other things: (1) On my laptop, the lower right hand corner of the screen where it has the ability to check off how many you want to display is not visible and (2) I could not find how to smooth the full measurement screen. The place where you change the number of points per octave was not there?

Other than the ability to average three measurement spots, I have yet to find any real advantage of this product over the free REW. In fact, the whole mic thing is a major downer since with REW, I operate in another room. May soon be a copy of XTZ for sale.
post #93 of 442 Old 09-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Two other things: (1) On my laptop, the lower right hand corner of the screen where it has the ability to check off how many you want to display is not visible and (2) I could not find how to smooth the full measurement screen. The place where you change the number of points per octave was not there?

Strange that you don't have those options on your laptop. I suppose you downloaded the latest version from XTZ's website?

Quote:

Other than the ability to average three measurement spots, I have yet to find any real advantage of this product over the free REW. In fact, the whole mic thing is a major downer since with REW, I operate in another room. May soon be a copy of XTZ for sale.

I haven't played with REW much, but I think the software is more powerful. The main advantage with XTZ is the hardware integration, everything you need is in the box, just plug and play.

But I do feel XTZ could improve on the software.
post #94 of 442 Old 09-03-2010, 07:35 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

The mic cable being the USB cable? I tried to separate the USB connector from the base and just extend the RCA connector (which I thought was the mic cable) and did not work?

Chuck, I put the base on a low table behind the mic stand. The RCA cable, as-is, was long enough to reach, but I needed a USB extension to keep the heavy base from dangling in mid-air.
post #95 of 442 Old 09-03-2010, 07:40 AM

As said the attraction is plug and play , but when this first came out for review everyone complained about lack of threaded insert on the base ,XTZ said they would consider it , they obviously have and decided not to bother.
In the short time I had it 5 days I emailed support about different problems I had , and to be fair they responded very quickly but not always with a satisfactory answer.
I couldn't find where the images were saved in bitmap then found you had to convert to jpeg.
Was told to download latest manual which is 2009 , the one in the box was 2007 queried if I had old stock and was told there was no such thing.
Also asked why when using Freq Response with sub only it showed 30db readings above sub cutoff , was told it was background noise , and that even in a quiet room the background is 30db ,my room was dead quiet I unfortunately don't believe them.
So lost faith in the product and sent it back.
post #96 of 442 Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post

I couldn't find where the images were saved in bitmap then found you had to convert to jpeg.

Shift/Printscreen puts a bitmap on your clipboard. It can be used as you wish.

Quote:

Was told to download latest manual which is 2009 , the one in the box was 2007 queried if I had old stock and was told there was no such thing.

Correct. The product hardware design has not changed. Only the software.

Quote:

Also asked why when using Freq Response with sub only it showed 30db readings above sub cutoff , was told it was background noise , and that even in a quiet room the background is 30db ,my room was dead quiet I unfortunately don't believe them.

A "dead quiet" room can easily have such a noise level. They are correct.
post #97 of 442 Old 09-03-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Shift/Printscreen puts a bitmap on your clipboard. It can be used as you wish.

Correct. The product hardware design has not changed. Only the software.

A "dead quiet" room can easily have such a noise level. They are correct.

1. The program has an option under file "Export Screen Dump" supposed to be under folder "XTZ Room Analyser" when you look for it it is not there.
Searching does not find it.
You can find it eventually
If you use "Export Screen Dump" on the full range screen ,then eventually find the bitmap only top part is saved , waterfall is missing.
Reply I received from XTZ
If you are using the "Export screen dump" function, you can chose where you want to save the file.
The Waterfall is a Open 3D rendering function and that will not be on the "Export Screen Dump"
If you want to export that,, I recommend the normal "Print screen" button

"Export screen dump" does not ask where you want to save it
Whats the point of "Export screen dump" on full range screen if it does not work.

2. Finding a 2007 manual in a product bought in 2010 when the latest manual is 2009 must surely be questioned

3.As my SPL meter is only selectable to 60db can't confirm if this is the case,
but if it is, why do we try and EQ peaks less then 30db when apparently 30db is quiet
post #98 of 442 Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

30db is quiet. My room is very, very quiet but will read that level. Just turn on the RTA function and you will see your ambient room noise.
post #99 of 442 Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post

I have a dedicated HT room in my basement. Even when it's dead quiet to my ears, my SPL meter reads 28dBA.
post #100 of 442 Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTZ AB View Post

Hi guys!

We would be happy to answer your questions also directly in this forum.

/Rikard

Welcome Rikard, We're very happy to have you guys here to join us and participate in the discussion about your great product. I'll kick things off and ask a simple one. Is there a way to get the Frequency Response charts to show measurement below 16hz? I'd like to measure down below 10hz. Is there a setting somewhere in a config file or the registry that can be tweaked to get lower in the charting?

Thanks in advance.

Darren
post #101 of 442 Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

I have a dedicated HT room in my basement. Even when it's dead quiet to my ears, my SPL meter reads 28dBA.

And not all meters are accurate in that low range. My RS SLM never reads anything lower than in the low to mid 20s but my TEF system has a noise floor of -130dBV and reads a noise figure just below 20dB in my CT room (at certain times of the day).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #102 of 442 Old 09-07-2010, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

With REW I can change the scale of the plots, shift the curves so they overlay each other, etc. With XTZ hOw do I change scale for full range. HOw do I shift the curves?

Other than a bit easier to set up, XTZ (at about $340 with duty) seems to not be anywhere near the features of the free REW unless I am missing something.

Temporarily (for now) very disappointed.
post #103 of 442 Old 09-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Just ordered one, looking forward to seeing the results.

Verum postulo res.
post #104 of 442 Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 115
Quote:

With REW I can change the scale of the plots, shift the curves so they overlay each other, etc. With XTZ hOw do I change scale for full range. HOw do I shift the curves?

Other than a bit easier to set up, XTZ (at about $340 with duty) seems to not be anywhere near the features of the free REW unless I am missing something.

You are not missing anything. XTZ is EZ and lite.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #105 of 442 Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 AM

Liked: 13
Thanks Rikard, understood. Could you also tell us if there are any plans for an updated version of the software in the future and what some new feature might be? Is there any sort of roadmap for the product you could share with us?
post #106 of 442 Old 10-19-2010, 07:25 AM

Hi,
This is my first post! I just got the XTZ and plan to use it to enter the filters in my Classe SSP 800. I basically listen to music in 2.1 setup. My (trivial) questions are related to how to do it:
1. Do I have to connect the mic directly to the sub? Or connect it to the SSP 800 as I am using bass management?
2. Given the filters provided by XTZ, to which channel should I enter these in the Classe SSP 800 PEQ? In the main left, main right and sub? Or just the sub? Or the appropriate channel depending on the mode frequency?
Thanks in advance
Enrique
post #107 of 442 Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo-colo View Post

Hi,
This is my first post! I just got the XTZ and plan to use it to enter the filters in my Classe SSP 800. I basically listen to music in 2.1 setup. My (trivial) questions are related to how to do it:
1. Do I have to connect the mic directly to the sub? Or connect it to the SSP 800 as I am using bass management?
2. Given the filters provided by XTZ, to which channel should I enter these in the Classe SSP 800 PEQ? In the main left, main right and sub? Or just the sub? Or the appropriate channel depending on the mode frequency?

You'll want the XTZ to feed into the SSP so you can see the effect of the EQ. Just feed into the Left input, using a Config that crosses over the L at say 80 Hz, and start by leaving the main speaker's amp turned off or disconnected so you can see the sub response alone. Adjust only the sub channel EQ.

After it is tuned, add the L speaker and check the splice. May also want to add the R speaker as well since the sub has to play nice with both, at minimum. Delay/polarity/level and EQ may be necessary to get a god splice (no dips/bumps).
post #108 of 442 Old 10-19-2010, 09:07 AM

Roger
thanks a lot. I have the crossover at 60 hz (btw, mains are B&W 803D, and sub is a JLA F113). Should I add the left and right mains at the same time?
Enrique
post #109 of 442 Old 10-20-2010, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo-colo View Post

Roger
thanks a lot. I have the crossover at 60 hz (btw, mains are B&W 803D, and sub is a JLA F113). Should I add the left and right mains at the same time?
Enrique

If you also plan on EQing the mains, then of course do them one at a time. You will not make them flat, but try to fix problem areas and get them to match each other (at least in the range from 60-250 Hz).

As for checking the sub/main splice, I don't think it matters whether you do them separately or together. Might be good to check all three conditions (L, R, L&R) to see how things shake out.
post #110 of 442 Old 10-20-2010, 08:27 AM

Roger, thanks again. I will try over the weekend and post some pics of the results.
Enrique
post #111 of 442 Old 12-15-2010, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Has anyone used the "Export Curve" in XTZ RA and "Import Frequency Response" in REW?
Seems to work great so far.
REW has a lot more tweaks for adjusting (smothing, offsets, axis limits, colours, etc) and comparing graphs than XTZ RA.
post #112 of 442 Old 12-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hello all, I'm new to this forum, just a quick hello to say that I am retailing the XTZ Room Analyzer acoustic measurement software in the US&CA. Any questions drop me an email or call. That's the last time I will mention it since I don't want to be classified as a spammer!

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #113 of 442 Old 02-05-2011, 12:46 AM

This may be a dumb question, but anyway here it goes:
Any advantage to spending $300 for XT vs. real EQ which is free?
I'll be needing these for my own room
Thanks
post #114 of 442 Old 02-05-2011, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHomeTheater View Post

This may be a dumb question, but anyway here it goes:
Any advantage to spending $300 for XT vs. real EQ which is free?
I'll be needing these for my own room
Thanks

While the REW software is free you still need to spend money to buy a sound card and a SPL meter (or mic and preamp). With XTZ everything is included.

You can think of XTZ as a very user friendly system and suitable for beginners. The REW software is more powerful and has more features than XTZ. The setup is a bit more complicated but once you get the hang of it, it's fairly simple.
post #115 of 442 Old 02-05-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:

While the REW software is free you still need to spend money to buy a sound card and a SPL meter (or mic and preamp). With XTZ everything is included.

You can think of XTZ as a very user friendly system and suitable for beginners. The REW software is more powerful and has more features than XTZ. The setup is a bit more complicated but once you get the hang of it, it's fairly simple.

So,maybe better to go with a sophisticated system like REW? Thanks
post #116 of 442 Old 02-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

I have both setups. XTZ is quicker to setup if you want to do some readings and doesn't require as much initial learning to get going.

REW is 'free' but if you want to get to the same calibrated level that XTZ is you'll need a soundcard, mic preamp and calibrated mic. That stuff will run you at least $150-$200. But factor in the time it'll take you to track down the right stuff, buy it, get it up, running and clibrated

Both systems are great XTZ is probably better if you are looking at doing occasional measurements and tweaking. REW might be better if you plan on doing a lot of measuring and tweaking.

These are just general guidelines. REW will require more effort to get up and running (if you want to be as accurate as XTZ).

Some may lead you to believe that REW will work with a Radio Shack SPL meter and generic calibration file, but that is no where near as accurate as XTZ.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #117 of 442 Old 02-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I did an extensive comparison of Room EQ Wizard vs XTZ Room Analyzer on my blog.

Just from the software side:

XTZ has a couple of features that Room EQ Wizard lacks - multi-position measurement mode that maintains visibility into the sound decay performance of the room and a 'stimulus EQ' mode, which lets you simulate how the measurement would look with EQ in the system.

Room EQ Wizard has an energy time curve that XTZ Room Analyzer does not have that allows you to identify strong early reflections or first reflections.

On the hardware side, XTZ is calibrated and getting repeatable measurements is super simple, Room EQ Wizard requires you to identify and purchase mic, soundcard, cabling, etc.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #118 of 442 Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone using XTZ Room Analyzer on Windows 7 64-bit?
I am shifting from a Windows XP 32-bit (Lenovo T400) to an
Windows 7 64-bit (ASUS N53SV) and XTZ RA seems to be working
fine except that I noticed a rather high peak at 4kHz in the RTA
in a "silent" room which isn't there if I use it on the old computer.
Anyone has any ideas what could be "wrong" with it on Windows 7?

Both computers are on when I did the two screen grabs and both
are running on batteries.
I even tried put the microphone in a separate room with the door closed
and having the computer outside to eliminate any sounds from the computer itself but the peak is still there.
LL
LL
post #119 of 442 Old 04-20-2011, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Anyone using XTZ Room Analyzer on Windows 7 64-bit?
I am shifting from a Windows XP 32-bit (Lenovo T400) to an
Windows 7 64-bit (ASUS N53SV) and XTZ RA seems to be working
fine except that I noticed a rather high peak at 4kHz in the RTA
in a "silent" room which isn't there if I use it on the old computer.
Anyone has any ideas what could be "wrong" with it on Windows 7?

Both computers are on when I did the two screen grabs and both
are running on batteries.
I even tried put the microphone in a separate room with the door closed
and having the computer outside to eliminate any sounds from the computer itself but the peak is still there.

I changed the sample rate from
2-channel, 16-bit. 44100 Hz (CD-quality) to
2-channel, 16-bit, 48000 Hz (DVD-quality)
and now I get the same graph but which is right?
Hopefully 48000 with no 4Khz peak.
But clicking on "Restore Defaults" sets it to 44100 Hz...
LL
post #120 of 442 Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

You could find sone tones in the 2-6k range and do some sweeps while checking with a Rat Shack meter to see if that tells you anything.

Unless you plan on doing full range EQing I don't think the 4k bump should matterthat being said I'd use the setting in Win7 that doesn't have the bump.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page