Toslink only passing 2.0 stereo through tv. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-31-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I currently have coaxial plugged directly into the back of my tv Sony KDL-32S510 from there I have toslink cable from tv out going to my receiver Sony HT-SS360 to tv in. It will only pass 2.0 stereo through the receiver on my digital/hd channels, the standard def channels are fine in 2.0. I have same setup in the other room with a samsung tv and hts and it passes the DD through the local HD/digital channels just fine. I've tried numerous options through the receiver and tv that I could think of but nothing is working. Only option has been to manually change from stereo to PLII to convert it which isn't the best. Only other thing connected is ps3 to receiver through hdmi and hdmi out from receiver to hdmi1 on tv. TV manual states it can do pcm through the optical out. Any insight or help to fix the issue why it won't output DD on the hd/digi channels would be great. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-31-2010, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Check settings in the TV audio setup and set to "raw", "bitstream", "auto" or "both".
post #3 of 11 Old 07-31-2010, 05:30 PM

Liked: 15
it may not support DD/DTS 5.1 out. If it states it only supports PCM out, then that's all you're going to get is 2-channel PCM. Many TVs are like this. You'd need to get a cablebox that supports 5.1 out, or a different TV.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-31-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I don't see an online manual at sonystyle.com for the KDL-32S510. There's one for the KDL-32S5100 and it says the optical output is for equipment capable of handling PCM. It appears the set does not output DD 5.1.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-01-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It would think that it does since it's newer model TV with an internal ATSC/QAM tuner.

Also, the spec sheet states:
"Dolby®: Dolby® Digital (for broadcasting)"

Here's the link:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/spe...S5100_mksp.pdf
post #6 of 11 Old 08-01-2010, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess if that is the case of it only doing PCM then I will only be getting 2.0 then. You'd think with a lil newer tv they'd show a little love. Kind of a bummer. Thanks for thelp.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-01-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Oh well, couldn't pass it up for the deal I got it for. Does the "Dolby Digital for Broadcasting" refer to the hdmi you think or misprint. I never saw anything in the HTS manual stating it's optical in supported DD but I am sure it does. I checked in audio settings of the TV as well to look for raw, bitstream etc but it was pretty much TV Speakers or Audio System you select.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretsam View Post

Does the "Dolby Digital for Broadcasting" refer to the hdmi you think or misprint.

I believe it means it can decode DD signals on broadcast channels. You get usuable audio on channels with DD 5.1 soundtracks, confirming that it can do the decoding. But, that doesn't mean it will pass a DD signal out the optical port. In fact, here's what it says in the specs on p22 of the manual:

DIGITAL AUDIO OUT
(OPTICAL)
PCM optical signal

Quote:

I never saw anything in the HTS manual stating it's optical in supported DD but I am sure it does.

That seems almost certain.

Quote:

I checked in audio settings of the TV as well to look for raw, bitstream etc but it was pretty much TV Speakers or Audio System you select.

The manual doesn't show any of the specifics contained in the Sound menu. It just says "The Sound Menu allows you to customize your sound settings to suit your audio preferences. You can also set the settings to enjoy the sound from your connected audio system." Is there simply an option to output audio to a sound system, but no choices to control the type of audio?
post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey... y'all could be correct. But again, I find it very strange that a "newer" TV with an ATSC/QAM internal tuner doesn't pass DD via the optical out. MAybe that's why it was a "deal".

My OLD F38310 from 2002 passes DD.

FWIW, Maybe the OP should try contacting Sony and verify the capability(s).
post #10 of 11 Old 08-01-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

I find it very strange that a "newer" TV with an ATSC/QAM internal tuner doesn't pass DD via the optical out.

Me, too. But, given what the OP observes and what the manual says, that would appear to be the case. I agree that a call to Sony is in order.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-03-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I can try giving them a call. I also found a thread on here for the specific model of the tv where someone did call Sony and they gave them a explanation also. Don't have the link with me to it on here its on the laptop an its downstairs. But Sony explained something to why it was only passing 2.0.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page