How to adjust soundstage with Audyssey - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've recently run Audyssey MultiEQ XT on my 7.1 system (omnipolar speakers). While the sound is terrific and very 3 dimensional, it seems like the soundstage is shifted significantly towards the top center and slightly to the back. For example, when listening to music it sounds like the voice is coming from the ceiling right above me or from slightly behind me.

I do love the enveloping sound, but it makes me want to look back (or up) instead of focusing on the music from the front. Since this is my first decent audio system, I wonder if maybe this effect (which occurs with all music I listen to on my system) is intentional? (I haven't watched a movie yet, so not sure if effect is similar there.)

I tried manually adjusting the speaker levels (increasing fronts + center and decreasing rears), but it made the soundstage sound very narrow and not as 3-dimensional.
As it can be tricky to adjust all 7 speakers, I wonder if I should try running Audyssey again with different mic placements, maybe placing the mic more towards the front of the room?

My setup:
* Mirage OMD-C1 center (12 ft from seating position)
* OMD-15's fronts (13 ft from seating position)
* OMD-5's (sides; 1 ft behind and 2.5 ft above main seating)
* Creative s700 (rears; 5 ft behind and 2.5 above)
* AVR991 receiver
* Room is 14w x 20l x 9h. Seating position is center of room, and I performed 8 mic measurement in a circle, about 1 ft away from each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-04-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichco View Post

I've recently run Audyssey MultiEQ XT on my 7.1 system....

You'd be better off asking all this in the "Official" Audyssey thread (just my suggestion). My best understanding of this is that Audyssey sets distances and levels based solely on that first mic position, therefore you'd like that to be in the middle of the listening area even if there is not an actual 'real' listening position in that particular spot. It might also be helpful if you could provide some sort of drawn up graphic of your room layout and speaker placements (including height info on the center speaker) and the main listening position. Also which DSP mode are you using to listen to your music?
Quote:

* Mirage OMD-C1 center (12 ft from seating position)... Room is 14w x 20l x 9h. Seating position is center of room..

The numbers don't add up... listening position 12ft from center speaker, room is 20ft long, seated in center of room??? BTW, it is good not to be in the center of the room, hopefully you actually are 12 ft or a little more from the center speaker in that room.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Sorry about the wrong measurements Here is a diagram with all of the correct info, along with photos. Note that the center is about 2 ft from floor (have yet to get a stand for it..).
For DSP I've been using the 'multi ch. stereo', as it seems to sound best (at least with music).
I thought I'd post here first, as the Audyssey thread tends to get pretty hectic. But I'll try there too if needed. Thanks for your advice!
LL
LL
LL
post #4 of 6 Old 11-05-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Sorry about the wrong measurements Here is a diagram with all of the correct info, along with photos. Note that the center is about 2 ft from floor (have yet to get a stand for it..).
For DSP I've been using the 'multi ch. stereo', as it seems to sound best (at least with music).

I do not believe you can judge proper setup with this processing as it intentionally sends front information to the other speakers. That is why it is sometimes called "party mode;" it allows everyone everywhere in the room to hear what was supposed to be in the front L/R speakers. I suggest you try a good 7.1 or 5.1 mix unprocessed before complaining.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #5 of 6 Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I would suggest using Stereo mode for music. Just make sure you have your receiver set up so the sub works with the front mains on. So 2.1. It sounds the best to me while seated in my LP. All channel stereo and other surround formats just take away from the balance of a front sound stage. To me stereo sounds just like a live band should sound. On a stage in front of me. Now if you wan't to listen to a blu ray concert that has a 5.1 or 7.1 audio format. That's a different story.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 911
Quote:

when listening to music it sounds like the voice is coming from the ceiling right above me or from slightly behind me

That's because it is coming from all those directions. The 'multi ch. stereo' mode treats each set of speakers (fronts, sides, rears) as a stereo pair, sending the same signal to all of them. Voices really are coming from all 7 of your speakers.

Add to that the fact that your room is untreated and you're getting reflections from directions where you don't even have any speakers. No wonder you "want to look back (or up) instead of focusing on the music from the front".

For listening to 2-channel music in surround, try a matrix processing mode (such as PLIIx) that keeps the vocals centered, the soundstage up front, and only puts subtle ambience in the surround field.

Sanjay
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page