connecting power conditioner to power strip? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have searched everywhere on these forums for an answer to a simple question regarding power conditioners and connecting to the components. If I have a long power strip running vertically in my rack, can I plug this into the power conditioner and the plug all the components into the power strip? I would like to do this to avoid a tangled mass of power cords running up to the conditioner....it would look more tidy to simply run each power cord horizontally to the same level outlet on the power strip. Would this be too much for one outlet from the power conditioner?

I don't have any equipment or a rack yet since money is tight, but have been assembling my dream system in my head over and over and I can't figure this part out.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 11-17-2010, 09:55 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 206
If the combined amperage draw is within the rating of the strip, yes,..absolutely. Does the strip have a breaker reset? What are the components?

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #3 of 35 Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

I am not sure since I am looking at buying a used rack and don't know all the specs. It is a middle atlantic with vertical power strip located just inside the door. Before I buy it, I was just trying to plan and visualize how I would position any components I decide to buy.
post #4 of 35 Old 11-18-2010, 10:12 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Any high amperage devices?

post #5 of 35 Old 11-20-2010, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure yet....haven't planned that far in advance. What would be a reasonable high amperage piece. The AV rack I am looking has a 20 amp power strip running up the inside of it.
post #6 of 35 Old 11-20-2010, 06:39 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Amplifiers..., what are the system components?

post #7 of 35 Old 11-20-2010, 01:13 PM

If you are going to only use one outlet on the line conditioner you may be better served buy getting a really good UPS that can handle the combined draw from all your components.

Picture without sound is surveillance.
post #8 of 35 Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar1995 View Post

I have searched everywhere on these forums for an answer to a simple question regarding power conditioners and connecting to the components. If I have a long power strip running vertically in my rack, can I plug this into the power conditioner and the plug all the components into the power strip? I would like to do this to avoid a tangled mass of power cords running up to the conditioner....it would look more tidy to simply run each power cord horizontally to the same level outlet on the power strip. Would this be too much for one outlet from the power conditioner?

I don't have any equipment or a rack yet since money is tight, but have been assembling my dream system in my head over and over and I can't figure this part out.

Your question might be premature, for the reasons you gave.

You should know that unless you have exceptionally bad power where you are, and equipment that is exceptionally badly prepared to deal with poor power, power conditioners are generally a waste of money.

Even just power strips with surge handling are a waste of money and a distraction even if you have serious problems with surges. If you have serious problems with surges your whole house is at risk and so your whole house should be protected by a device hooked up by a professional electrician at the place where power enters your house.

If you don't have serious problems then you are just throwing money at the wind with a surge protector in a power strip.

You should be aware that most power strip surge protectors are damaged or destroyed the first time you actually have a surge that could cause problems. So even it is needed and works, it hangs you out to dry for the forseeable future the first time it does anything for you.

Surge protectors on power strips and other devices are a great way to turn a few pennies worth of parts into a fabulously higher price for a basically simple device.
post #9 of 35 Old 05-04-2012, 05:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrip View Post

I would like to join this discussion about to know power strips..What are various place where we can use Power strips..

220v extension cord

The use of power extension cords and power strips is rather dependent on where you are. As you point out, the people in the US think that the world runs on 120 volt which leads to one set of technical concerns, while much of the rest of the world runs on 220-240 which has another set of technical concerns.

The electrical code varies by country and even locality in some places. In the US Chicago is probably one of the most restricted places around, but if you move out of Cook county, it is potentially a different world. Same 120 volt power, different rules.
post #10 of 35 Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Just wanted to add my 2cents, if you only plan on using one outlet from your conditioner, why not just install one of these on your wall outlet:

http://www.amazon.com/Panamax-MIW-PO...=2XBDQWJ2PQN1C

You would have one less component and just plug all your equipment into the MA Rack strip.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #11 of 35 Old 05-04-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Is this what you are looking at?
post #12 of 35 Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post

Is this what you are looking at?

IME those are nice to have in a rack, power conditioner or no.
post #13 of 35 Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks for any advice.

I have three power conditioners, and all of them have a max power rating of 1800 watts of power consumption. So I add up all of my individual components power consumption watts and try not to over load the device. Example...the processor specs state only appx 50 watts...the blu-ray is only 36 watts. However the 5 channel amp is 1400 watts. (not in output watts. In power consumption watts). So that is what you need to do, once you select your equipment. Look at the power consumption specs for all equipment.

Espo77
post #14 of 35 Old 05-04-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

...I've seen people "piggy back" extension cords/power strips with now problems, but for me, it doesn't seem right, so I look for ways to do things right. Obviously, they are not overloading the equipment, so it works for them. I wouldn't recommend it.

Espo77
post #15 of 35 Old 05-04-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for any advice.

..."It would look more tidy"...just how many components do you plan on installing? Run all of your power cords together on one side of the rack, and your other cables on the other side.

Espo77
post #16 of 35 Old 05-04-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Your question might be premature, for the reasons you gave.

You should know that unless you have exceptionally bad power where you are, and equipment that is exceptionally badly prepared to deal with poor power, power conditioners are generally a waste of money.

Even just power strips with surge handling are a waste of money and a distraction even if you have serious problems with surges. If you have serious problems with surges your whole house is at risk and so your whole house should be protected by a device hooked up by a professional electrician at the place where power enters your house.

If you don't have serious problems then you are just throwing money at the wind with a surge protector in a power strip.

You should be aware that most power strip surge protectors are damaged or destroyed the first time you actually have a surge that could cause problems. So even it is needed and works, it hangs you out to dry for the forseeable future the first time it does anything for you.

Surge protectors on power strips and other devices are a great way to turn a few pennies worth of parts into a fabulously higher price for a basically simple device.

I like power conditioners.

Espo77
post #17 of 35 Old 05-05-2012, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

So? You could also like homoeopathy but that doesn't mean it'll make any difference to the ailment you're taking it for.
post #18 of 35 Old 05-06-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for any advice.

Something to think about...don't look for ways to "rig" your system components. What kind of products would we have if the manufacturers did this?

Espo77
post #19 of 35 Old 05-07-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good for you!

How does that relate to the OP's question?
post #20 of 35 Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good for you!

How does that relate to the OP's question?

I responded to the OP with my best answers, to try and help him.

The "I like power conditioners" was my response to your statements..."power conditioners are generally a waste of money" and "throwing money at the wind".

Espo77
post #21 of 35 Old 05-07-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

The "I like power conditioners" was my response to your statements..."power conditioners are generally a waste of money" and "throwing money at the wind".

Do you mean like this Furman Rp8? You list that you own one of these (but with the display that a $10 DVM could do equally well). Three 50c MOVs to do some transient protection for how much money?

Singularly good value for money there. /sarc.
LL
post #22 of 35 Old 05-07-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Not all are that simply made. Here is the inside of a Belkin PF60 that can be had for under $200. Not sure I can make it for that price, and you can program each bank for turn on through a 12v signal (from AVR/Pre-amp) which is the main reason I'm using this. Yes, you can probably purchase all the parts for a lot less than $200, but not have it in a nice case.

Inside:

Rear:

Display:

Ray

post #23 of 35 Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You do realize that there is no necessary conflict between the two sets of statements, right? ;-)
post #24 of 35 Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Not all are that simply made. Here is the inside of a Belkin PF60 that can be had for under $200. Not sure I can make it for that price, and you can program each bank for turn on through a 12v signal (from AVR/Pre-amp) which is the main reason I'm using this. Yes, you can probably purchase all the parts for a lot less than $200, but not have it in a nice case.

Until someone shows that it is more than a gussied up power strip, its just a bunch of parts in a box or perhaps audio sculpture.
post #25 of 35 Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Inside:

Rear:

Display:

...similar to my Niles IPC-12...in that it can be programed for sequential power on and off. I like the looks of that Belkin. How much MSRP?

Espo77
post #26 of 35 Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Until someone shows that it is more than a gussied up power strip, its just a bunch of parts in a box or perhaps audio sculpture.

Maybe so, but regular power strips do not have the ferrite chokes or toroidal chokes to help remove line noise and the switching capability (I like programmed sequential turn-on ability) and in a nice package. Also, not that expensive.

Ray

post #27 of 35 Old 05-08-2012, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...similar to my Niles IPC-12...in that it can be programed for sequential power on and off. I like the looks of that Belkin. How much MSRP?

Hi, I'm not sure what the MSRP is now, I just know you can purchase one for under $200 from many sites (Amazon, Tigerdirect, etc).

Ray

post #28 of 35 Old 05-08-2012, 03:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe so, but regular power strips do not have the ferrite chokes or toroidal chokes to help remove line noise and the switching capability (I like programmed sequential turn-on ability) and in a nice package. Also, not that expensive.

Its your money so I would hardly fault you for spending it on things that make you more comfortable. After all this is about listening for sound for enjoyment, not an endurance race.

That all said, there's no reason why one generally needs a power conditioner or a bulletproof power line filter if one's equipment and home power is is well-designed and most is.

If the power is that bad, or your equipment is that substandard, there are better ways to deal with those problems. Frankly, this sort of thing is a solution that about 99% of the time is looking for a problem.

BTW, I like the idea of sequential turn on as much as anybody.

Back in the real world I have a situation where I have 2 450 wpc power amps, 1 200 wpc amp, and 1 300 wpc amp all on the same plug strip. Never popped a fuse, dimmed the lights or tripped a breaker.
post #29 of 35 Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Power conditioners also smooth out the AC current. AC current bounces all over the place and is considered "dirty power". Some AV components are sensitive and/or expensive and you want the best for them or out of them. If you spend 2000 dollars on an AVR and another 4000 on the video source, wouldn't you want the best possible performance out of it? I think that a couple hundred dollars is worth all the money you put into your setup.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #30 of 35 Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Quote:

Power conditioners also smooth out the AC current.

How?

Quote:

AC current bounces all over the place and is considered "dirty power".

It goes to zero 120 times per second, but that's by design, it's not dirty.

Quote:

Some AV components are sensitive and/or expensive and you want the best for them or out of them.

These components operate on DC, not AC.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page