Liked: 10
Hello!!!

My Set up:

Samsung LN46A650
Sony bdp-s570
Onkyo HT-S7300
Dish STB
XBOX 360

I followed onkyo manual set up and connected all the components to receiver and one hdmi is running to TV from receiver. Everything is working great but I dont want the audio from home theatre 24/7. I looked into HDMI pass through and got confused. Onkyo talks about RIHD and Samsung talks about Anynet.

I did some research and then I connected toslink digital audio cable from my STB to receiver. Now with this I turn on TV and receiver (switch to aux mode) , I get audio from TV and also receiver. I have to mute one of them based on programs I am watching on TV. That is irritating to do everytime.

I dont know how "standby HDMI pass through" works for my set up. Can you guys help me out?

Online research says HDMI audio is better than optical cable, so is there any way I can use TV speakers for some programs and receiver for some dish programs using only HDMI cables.

If thats not possible what are my options?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Look at page 49 of your Onkyo manual. I think you'll find it there.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by taggy_cool View Post

I dont know how "standby HDMI pass through" works for my set up. Can you guys help me out?

Online research says HDMI audio is better than optical cable, so is there any way I can use TV speakers for some programs and receiver for some dish programs using only HDMI cables.

If thats not possible what are my options?

Thanks in advance

Hi taggy_cool, for standby pass through to work, turn On "HDMI Control" and Audio Tv Out" found under Hardware Setup menu.

Note that you cannot select which HDMI source to pass while in standby. It would only pass the last selected HDMI source before putting into standby.

Another option if your only concern is Dish STB would be to connect the STB HDMI cable directly to the TV with optical (from STB) to the receiver.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi taggy_cool, for standby pass through to work, turn On "HDMI Control" and Audio Tv Out" found under Hardware Setup menu.

Note that you cannot select which HDMI source to pass while in standby. It would only pass the last selected HDMI source before putting into standby.

Another option if your only concern is Dish STB would be to connect the STB HDMI cable directly to the TV with optical (from STB) to the receiver.

Thanks. I tried "standby pass through" by turning on "HDMI Control" and "Audio Tv Out" yesterday night. It worked fine, I could see the video with TV speakers and receiver shows a LED saying "pass thru".
But there are some issues:
1.When I hit on/standby button on receiver remote, audio switched to Tv speakers but before switching the system is making a distortion/bleep kind of sound once.
2.After sometime I turned off my Tv and turned it on again, it was showing a message "check cable signal".
post #5 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by taggy_cool View Post

Thanks. I tried "standby pass through" by turning on "HDMI Control" and "Audio Tv Out" yesterday night. It worked fine, I could see the video with TV speakers and receiver shows a LED saying "pass thru".
But there are some issues:
1.When I hit on/standby button on receiver remote, audio switched to Tv speakers but before switching the system is making a distortion/bleep kind of sound once.
2.After sometime I turned off my Tv and turned it on again, it was showing a message "check cable signal".

1. not sure about this

2. welcome to HDCP issue (see original post option)
post #6 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

1. not sure about this

2. welcome to HDCP issue (see original post option)

As you said I will go with component cables when I want to use Tv speakers.
I dont know much about HDCP issues, I will look into it.

Thanks
post #7 of 7 Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM

I have similar problem with Onkyo TX-NR708. See my question and Onkyo support statement at URL :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19774786
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page