stereo output into 5.1 system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-23-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, beginner question here.

I am going to output tv by optical cable to 5.1 system, what will happen if all speakers are plugged in, will sound still come out of them or shall i just plug in front left and right, and subwoffer?

the reasoning behind this is that is actually cheaper for me to by a 5.1 system than an amp and speakers (given my preference for quality)

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-23-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
It can work either way. Stereo sources will just use L/R (and the sub if you configure it for 2.1 w/ bass management). Or, you can apply various surround modes in the receiver to produce 5.1 from stereo sources.

If you have a 5.1 system, then you are better off running audio from each of your playback devices directly to the receiver instead of running them through the TV. Most TVs output stereo from external devices. They will only do DD 5.1 from their internal ATSC and QAM tuners fed by off-air antennas and direct cable feeds. So, if you play a movie with a 5.1 soundtrack, the TV output will be stereo while the direct feed to the receiver will be 5.1. If you get a receiver with lossless decoders, you will also be able to process dts-MA and TrueHD soundtracks if you connect the disc player to the AVR with HDMI.

btw, there's no need to start a new thread about this. It would have been better to continue in the first one you opened.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page