connecting 8 ohm speaker to guitar jack - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im making a "stompbox" basically a amplified drum to stomp while playing guitar, looked at numerous forums and youtube videos as well, i have a hollow wooden box, a 8 ohm speaker, and a guitar jack, i have very little knowledge when it comes to this. the guitar jack has a wire that splits into two, and im not sure if i can connect this to the speaker and if so not sure about + and - connections, any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 05:15 PM

What are you trying to do?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by razr67 View Post

What are you trying to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astacy15 View Post

Im making a "stompbox" basically a amplified drum to stomp while playing guitar, looked at numerous forums and youtube videos as well, i have a hollow wooden box, a 8 ohm speaker, and a guitar jack, i have very little knowledge when it comes to this. the guitar jack has a wire that splits into two, and im not sure if i can connect this to the speaker and if so not sure about + and - connections, any help is greatly appreciated.

Some blues guitarists and folk guitarists use them.. Its basically just a wood box to tap your foot on, only amplified and plugged into a guitar amp... There are several different methods. Ive seen 1)microphones 2)guitar pickups and 3)home stereo speakers used. I saw a youtube video where the home stero speaker was used.. Im just not sure if i can connect a guitar jack to the home stereo speaker. Sorry, trying to explain the best i can with my limited knowledge. Basically connecting the speaker to the guitar jack then plug the guitar cable from the jack to the amp(like a normal guitar to a amp) this should in effect act as a bass drum you tap your foot on
post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by astacy15 View Post
Some blues guitarists and folk guitarists use them.. Its basically just a wood box to tap your foot on, only amplified and plugged into a guitar amp... There are several different methods. Ive seen 1)microphones 2)guitar pickups and 3)home stereo speakers used. I saw a youtube video where the home stero speaker was used.. Im just not sure if i can connect a guitar jack to the home stereo speaker. Sorry, trying to explain the best i can with my limited knowledge. Basically connecting the speaker to the guitar jack then plug the guitar cable from the jack to the amp(like a normal guitar to a amp) this should in effect act as a bass drum you tap your foot on
well most guitar amps use quarter inch connectors to connect to their speakers, so of course you can connect a speaker to wire with a quarter inch plug. But usually the speaker is connected to thr OUTput of the amp, not the INput (where the guitar connects). Are you trying to use the speaker as a microphone? I don't think you can hurt anything trying it but would not expect very good results. Who knows, maybe you'll get some cool low fi sound.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
im not sure if i can connect this to the speaker and if so not sure about + and - connections
The speaker will act as a dynamic mic. Connect the positive terminal to th etip , connect other terminal to the sleeve.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by razr67 View Post

The speaker will act as a dynamic mic. Connect the positive terminal to th etip , connect other terminal to the sleeve.

All done.. Works great!! Thank you!
post #7 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fridmann View Post

dude, it's a stomp box.
do you really think that polarity matters?

dude, the OP asked, I answered...what have you contributed?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 10:54 AM

razr67, you didn't answer the question.
so i will ask the same question again.
do you really think the polarity matters?
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page