Replace front speakers in 5.1 setup with studio monitors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-02-2011, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an onkyo 605 with ELAC 5.1 speakers for my home theatre. Its my feeling that while this setup is great for movies, it isn't that good for music (mainly 2 ch stereo). I play music through my HTPC (HDMI) and I feel that even in pure stereo mode, the music doesn't sound 100% right.

Could this be because the front speakers aren't good enough? I've been listening to music my whole life, and a lot of it in studios and so I've developed an ear for high quality sound. I feel that studio reference speakers (like those used for mixing) would be ideal for listening to music unlike the front speakers that I have, as they would be flat and "uncolored" with accurate tonal reproduction. Any tonal effects that I need can be adjusted through my AV or software eq.

In my current setup, I know that my onkyo does not have any pre outs (for Zone 1), so I can't create this solution at present. I need to buy an amp that has preouts for the studio monitors (similar to a sub pre out).

Now, does this make sense? Can I simply remove my front L+R speakers and replace them with the reference speakers for the sake of 2 ch music? Will they be good for movies? Will there by any compatibility issues that I need to think of?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-02-2011, 01:41 AM

Liked: 13
The short answer is yes. The longer more complicated answer is yes but.

The "but" comes from the fact that if you are using self powered monitors you will have to set them to be balanced with the rest of the system for non music listening. The other half is that the rest of the system will seem lacking with quality speakers replacing just two channels. I would recommend (if possible) to get at least three monitors and replace the center as well. You should also consider things like explosions, gun-fire and all around "not music" being played through a reference set of speakers may at high volume damage them.

Another path would be to again upgrade the AVR then invest in either a quality amp to send the front signal or even use most AVR's simple "B" channel and running a better set of speakers for just music or music/movies.

Home Theater Subreddit:
AV Recommendations Subreddit:
post #3 of 4 Old 02-02-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 162
If you are using tiny satellite speakers I would say that they are the problem. Small speakers cannot dig low enough to blend with a subwoofer well. You most likely have a lull in the frequency response that is audible.

I use an Onkyo 805 and think it does very well when in Pure Audio. Speakers can make a tremendous difference in SQ.

Do you have a budget that you are trying to stay within? Size requirements? How big is your room?

I agree with F12 in that you should replace the L/C/R at the same time with a brand and line that are the same.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #4 of 4 Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 AM

Liked: 13
I should have recommended them earlier. Go grab 2or3 sets of Dayton B652's. They are a $30 pair of speakers that will pretty much blow away anything you can buy in a HTIB and most speakers in general. I use a set hooked to a Pioneer Spec-2 250W per channel amp for pure music listening and they are a beautiful thing to behold. Ignore the price and enjoy life's little bargains.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-652

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20016275-47.html

Home Theater Subreddit:
AV Recommendations Subreddit:
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page