Need help with 5.1 setup matching speakers and receiver. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-14-2011, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!
For the past few years I have used HTIB samsung as-730, but after my sub broke I bought Infinity PS28,and now substituted sumsung speakers with new RSL CG24 for Front Right, Left and center; for my surrounds i got RSL CG4.
But now I need a help on deciding which receiver to buy to match my speakers to get great sound ( up to $600 range).
Your help will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Not sure about matching it to the speakers but if you were previously using a HTIB then you are more likely looking for something with good home theater capabilites.

I have a Denon 3808 that is a great receiver but having problems with a large open room due to speakers and speaker placement. Receiver is now an old model but I'm very happy with it.

In my office at home I have an Onkyo HT180 that I absolubetely love. It's designed primarily for home theater but works excellent for music as well. The receiver is internet capable and all my local radio stations broadcast over the web and the interface makes it easy to locate them and add to my favorites. I can launch the local stations over the web without turning the TV on and I no longer use the tuner since the digital format is static free. The receiver also allows me to browse shared folders on the network and play music that way too. I've never had problems with HDMI switching and the remote works great with my DirecTV receiver, DVD player, and TV. It can power on my Xbox but I don't think it does much else (don't need it to really). It may support the WD Live Plus by now but again no big deal.

I would say it would be worth checking out the HT180.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

I checked Onkyo webpage and they announced new 609 that is more features packed then 708, so I will wait till April,anyhow 70x a bit over my budget.
Thanks for reply.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Liked: 11
My buddy, Jay Frank, over at Evolution Audio & Video (eavht.com) loaned me an Integra DTR-30.2 refurbished unit. I tested it with a 7.1 system (6 RSL CG4, 1RSL CG24, and a Speedwoofer 10). It blew me away! I liked the sound a little better than the $1400 Yamaha RX-A2000 I tested a few days prior. I tried the Audyssey EQ and was happy that it didn't mess up the sound, although I preferred it switched off. I also liked the user interface. Anyhow, this unit has it all and Jay is selling refurbs with 2 year factory warranty for $499 (retail $800). I honestly believe that's a hot deal.
Thanks,
Howard
post #5 of 16 Old 02-26-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Will Onkyo 608 or Pioneer VSX-1325-K handle RSL Speakers?
post #6 of 16 Old 02-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbashka View Post

Hi!
For the past few years I have used HTIB samsung as-730, but after my sub broke I bought Infinity PS28,and now substituted sumsung speakers with new RSL CG24 for Front Right, Left and center; for my surrounds i got RSL CG4.
But now I need a help on deciding which receiver to buy to match my speakers to get great sound ( up to $600 range).
Your help will be much appreciated.

I would only concern myself with power requirements for your speakers when buying a new AVR. "Matching" an amp to your spkrs isn't what you're really doing. You're buying an AVR that will, at a minimum, satisfy your speaker's power handling requirements, but that's about it. IOW, it's highyl probable that any of the $600 range AVRs will meet that, so you need to decide amongst the AVRs to decide which one meets other criteria you have (inputs, HDMI?, outputs, 3D?, etc...).
post #7 of 16 Old 02-26-2011, 05:44 PM

I went online to take a very brief look at both the Onkyo & Pioneer receivers. Both look like they would do an awesome job. They're loaded with features. While I haven't heard either, I know that Onkyo makes the Integra, which sounds great. Therefore, I assume that the Onkyo would also sound very good. A couple of suggestions:

1. Search online and download the owners manual on both. Some receivers have manuals that are difficult to follow. Also, the user interface on some receivers are very unfriendly. Do a little homework first.

2. When you do install the receiver, go really easy on equalization such as Audyssey. Don't assume they'll make the sound better. Compare the receiver with it off and on.

Also, don't hesitate to call us at the phone number on our website. We enjoy talking about audio/video and would like to help.

Howard
post #8 of 16 Old 02-27-2011, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslspeakers View Post
I went online to take a very brief look at both the Onkyo & Pioneer receivers. Both look like they would do an awesome job. They're loaded with features. While I haven't heard either, I know that Onkyo makes the Integra, which sounds great. Therefore, I assume that the Onkyo would also sound very good. A couple of suggestions:

1. Search online and download the owners manual on both. Some receivers have manuals that are difficult to follow. Also, the user interface on some receivers are very unfriendly. Do a little homework first.

2. When you do install the receiver, go really easy on equalization such as Audyssey. Don't assume they'll make the sound better. Compare the receiver with it off and on.

Also, don't hesitate to call us at the phone number on our website. We enjoy talking about audio/video and would like to help.

Howard
Thanks Howard!
post #9 of 16 Old 03-04-2011, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Just got Pioneer vsx-1325,connected it so far sounds great.
From manual it says that I can change speaker nominal impedance either 8 or 6 Ohms.
Does anyone knows what cons and pros of doing so?
Also got trouble with sound level like it sound normal when playing music through PS3, and when switching it to another source such as radio or TV it sounds low and I have to change volume every time I switch component.
Is there some ways to have it all some reference level?
I read through whole manual, but din't find any info on it.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From manual it says that I can change speaker nominal impedance either 8 or 6 Ohms.
Also got trouble with sound level like it sound normal when playing music through PS3, and when switching it to another source such as radio or TV it sounds low and I have to change volume every time I switch component.

Most older systems had variable sound level issues (what you're experiencing), but several new AVRs have some sort of built in system to balance the different input sources so you don't experience wild fluctuations when switching between sources. I forget the term, and have only recently read about it (been out of the game a long time).

As far as your impedance question, if you have 8 Ohm speakers then use the 8 ohm setting!
post #11 of 16 Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:

I'm out of town and using my phone so this will be short. CG24 is 4 ohms. 6 Khmer setting is fine. As far as PS3 level, can you increase it's out put level from setup? Will download AVR manual next week to look for an answer.
Howard
post #12 of 16 Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:

I downloaded the AVR manual and looked at it. The only thing I could find relating to input level adjusting is on page 63, "Reducing the level of an analog signal." I don't know if this would address the problem or not. If it does, I would suggest attenuating the volume of the PS3 so it would match the other sources. Otherwise, see if you can reduce the output of the PS3 from the Sony setup. Let me know.
Howard
post #13 of 16 Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

It seems that some movies are sound very quiet compare to other sources. Dynamic Normalizer as an option under Music Settings PS3 doesn't really do much for movies.
The weirdest thing is that my cheap avr Samsung handled all sources evenly.
Not sure what to do now, after reading manual twice now still no clue on how to fix it.
Most sources are digital through HDMI like PS3, xbox 360, and Tv out is over optical cable (TOSLINK).
post #14 of 16 Old 03-14-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:

It seems that some movies are sound very quiet compare to other sources. Dynamic Normalizer as an option under Music Settings PS3 doesn't really do much for movies.
The weirdest thing is that my cheap avr Samsung handled all sources evenly.
Not sure what to do now, after reading manual twice now still no clue on how to fix it.
Most sources are digital through HDMI like PS3, xbox 360, and Tv out is over optical cable (TOSLINK).

That is really strange. I assume that you are using your PS3 to play DVD movies? Since it didn't happen with the Samsung, it seems to be an issue with the Pioneer. Have you tried contacting Pioneer customer support? I'd be curious to see if they are helpful and knowledgeable.

Also, have you tried connected the PS3 audio to the Pioneer by optical to see if that would help?

Best regards,
Howard
RSL Speakers
post #15 of 16 Old 03-16-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslspeakers View Post
That is really strange. I assume that you are using your PS3 to play DVD movies? Since it didn't happen with the Samsung, it seems to be an issue with the Pioneer. Have you tried contacting Pioneer customer support? I'd be curious to see if they are helpful and knowledgeable.

Also, have you tried connected the PS3 audio to the Pioneer by optical to see if that would help?

Best regards,
Howard
RSL Speakers
By the way Howard, I'm glad RSL speakers are back to let people enjoy great sound for reasonable amount of money. I love the way they sound.
Thanks for your help, I wish your business to be prosper.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-17-2011, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hi guys!
I just got ps3 slim and now HDMI pass-through works and sound is not as it was before I have set ps3 to send a bitstream audio over hdmi.
Now everything works great.
Thank you for all your help.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page