AVS Forum banner

Help!! My Turntable won't spin

58K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Lee Pantesco 
#1 ·
So I just bought a BSR 2260 BS of craigslist (sketchy I know) but the guy honestly said that everything worked out great when he had it and called me afterwards to tell me for sure that it did work, it was working today and that he is really sorry, (also said he would refund me) SO im trying to figure out whats wrong with it and if I should try and get it fixed.

The table moves a little bit when I change it from 45-78 but other then that nothing, when I put it in start mode the table doesn't spin. So any help would be great! I don't have the ground wire connected because my amp doesn't have that, it also doesn't have a phono input but that shouldn't affect the table spin right???

#3 ·
Yep. Belt, then mechanical interference, then AC plug/wire, then motor. Just out of curiosity, many turntables have screws or plastic keys to lock the suspension and maybe even the platter in place during transport. Did you check for and remove this sort of transport protection? Ground wire will not affect motor, only noise.

#4 ·
The BSR 2260 is an automatic TT with variable speed. The speed is controlled by a rubber idler pulley being set against a stepped motor shaft.

The problem may be simple as in cleaning the bearing surfaces or a real hassle in that the idler wheel has dried up and become somewhat brittle so it does not have good friction against the inside of the platter.

Remove the stack spindle by simply pulling it up. There should be a small wire type C-ring around the platter center mount that must be removed to lift the platter. If it is not there the platter can be lifted straight up.

Under the platter you will see a large gear with a very loose dog leg pivot on it. The pivots are probably caked with grease and dust. There is a small C ring to remove the gear and another to remove the dog leg. Clean to pivot hole for the dog leg and the gear spindle thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol- NOT rubbing alcohol.

Replace after cleaning and DO NOT apply any type of lube or grease to the gear pivot or the dogleg pivot. Replace the gear and C-rings.

The rubber idler wheel also is removed with a small C-ring. Using a paper towel wet with alcohol, rub the surface of the idler until no black crud comes off. This may take several minutes.

Now you can see the stepped drive shaft of the motor. Clean it thoroughly as well and be sure it runs fast and quiet.

Clean the inside of the platter ring that rides against the idler wheel as well.

Replace the idler and C-ring and then the platter.

Fire it up and it should run some degree of rotational torque. When you change the speed, the lever causes the idler to raise/lower position relative to the stepped motor shaft.

If all is well, replace the C-ring on the platter and spindle.

You should be good to go.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist /forum/post/20030723

From the 40s to the 80s this was THE method for most every TT built.

Belt drives were for the more decorator style TTs.

Are you positive on that? I didn't see this type of arrangements since 1960s. But that kind of "direct drive" was the original source of perceived inferiority of direct drive TTs in comparison to belt driven ones.

#8 ·
I used to work in stereo servicing in Washington,DC on the full range of stereo gear from middle of the road to McIntosh, Nakamichi, B&O, HK, Teac, Tandberg, REVOX etc.

Our biggest selling turntables were usually Dual, PE, BSR, KLH and a few others the on the higher end Phillips.

BSR turntables were included in many self-contained systems that were mini hi- fi sets.

#10 ·
Okay so I got the platter removed, and everything looks really clean in here...so I proceeded anyway and cleaned what little mess there is off the dog leg and removed the c ring for the gear, but the gear won't pull off. So I plugged the thing in to see if anything works at all and it looks like the small rubber idle (??) wheel spins fine and it steps up and down when I change from 33-45-78 which is good I guess, but the big silver gear ring is not moving at all... I'm guessing that means the motor is shot?

#11 ·
If the idler moves when you turn it on, the motor must be working. Clean the idler rubber as giz described. Maybe roughen it up slightly with sandpaper. Or see if you can find a replacement.

#12 ·
So the idle moves the platter but it seems like the geared plate is preventing the platter from actually spinning am I wrong about how that works? I would think that the gear would need to spin as well so Im not sure how cleaning the idle is going to help.

#13 ·
Alright so were in business! got it spinning again, thank you all for your help. Now next question...turns out I know absolute zero about record players. So I will just lay it out there for you. I put a 12" on set the toggle to 12" (right?) flip the thing to start and the table starts spinning, good sign, then the arm moves into position and waits, after about 2 minutes I realize I need to move the little lever to drop the needle. But once I did this it doesn't start playing I just hear a very faint kind of scratch and what sounds like the same section of the song. Now there are two adjustments on the table that I don't know what do one is near the arm and is knob with the numbers 2,4, and 6 on it and the other one is a knob with a scale near it that has a plus on one side and a negative on the other this one is located on the arm near the counter balance. From what I remember of my dad's record player the needle tracks from the inside out, so I am guessing the needle isn't in the grooves right so it's not tracking? the arm doesn't seem to be moving at all.

Of and als I know I need to get a pre-amp so that this thing will work with my JVC surround system which only has AUX RCA inputs on the back. Any suggestions on where to find one and which kind I should get, hopefully cheap.

#14 ·
I'm not familiar with that particular table, but, my guess is the large gear is associated with the automated function. It should not prevent the platter from spinning, unless perhaps if it was jammed. If you do not need that automated function you could probably remove it all. An idler wheel table is pretty simple. The motor turns, the rubber idler transfers the rotation to the platter. Usually the problem is that the rubber on the idler has aged, hardened, and slips (either on the motor, or the platter). Hence the suggestion to clean or replace it. If you happen to have a rubber band around about the same size as the idler you could try using it over the idler wheel. I would not use that as proper solution, the idler should be completely round, and most rubber bands are not, but it could be a useful diagnostic tool. I suspect that the rubber on your idler is sliping because it is old and hard

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelator /forum/post/20053384

Alright so were in business! got it spinning again, thank you all for your help. Now next question...turns out I know absolute zero about record players. So I will just lay it out there for you. I put a 12" on set the toggle to 12" (right?) flip the thing to start and the table starts spinning, good sign, then the arm moves into position and waits, after about 2 minutes I realize I need to move the little lever to drop the needle. But once I did this it doesn't start playing I just hear a very faint kind of scratch and what sounds like the same section of the song. Now there are two adjustments on the table that I don't know what do one is near the arm and is knob with the numbers 2,4, and 6 on it and the other one is a knob with a scale near it that has a plus on one side and a negative on the other this one is located on the arm near the counter balance. From what I remember of my dad's record player the needle tracks from the inside out, so I am guessing the needle isn't in the grooves right so it's not tracking? the arm doesn't seem to be moving at all.

Of and als I know I need to get a pre-amp so that this thing will work with my JVC surround system which only has AUX RCA inputs on the back. Any suggestions on where to find one and which kind I should get, hopefully cheap.

I would not bother doing anything unless you have vinyl not available in digital format.

#16 ·
Ok the large gear is driven by the rotating platter. The large gear must be removed by prying off the C-ring. Sometimes these are simply a semi circular wire instead of the stamped C-ring we usually see. The spindle the gear sits on must be thoroughly cleaned with alcohol to remove all the dried and gunny grease. tale a Q-tip and clean out the center hole of the gear as well.

That gear will engage the automatic tone arm lift mechanism as the tone arm moves towards the center after playing.

The 2-4-6 adjustment you see is the tracking weight adjustment. That determines how much downward force is applied to the tone arm and hence the stylus. Usually the lighter the better, but depending on the stylus and cartridge, more weight may be needed.

There may be another adjustment that may or may not be marked. It is the anti-skating adjustment. That keeps the tone arm from gliding across the record. It has been many years since I had my hands on a BSR, so i can't be sure how to describe it to you. It is usually a small screw driver type adjustment.

There is also the chance that the silicone damping fluid inside the tone arm damper has solidified of gotten cruddy. This is difficult to get to and harder to clean. The tome arm damper is the little piston device that extends when you use the manual lift lever or the automatic mechanism lifts the tone arm.

Do not use any grease on any of the the rotating pivots.

Let me know if you can find all this.

#17 ·
Alright so we're spinning. I think I have the table as dialed in as I can get it, the tracking seems to be on point the pressure on the needle seems to be adjusted to the right weight. Tomorrow or Friday I am picking up an amp that should get the levels on-line. Once I get that in if I have more issues sound-wise I will come straight back here, thanks again for all your help.

#19 ·
New BSR turntable Motor?

I recently inherited an old Sounddesign (model 91076H) cabinet with built in 8-track, radio and record player. I have everything working but the record player. From all the websites I have found it seemed like it may have been locked up due to grease and dirt. I have taken it apart but seems as though the motor may be shot. Its an old BSR record player and I have attached the model type. Does anyone know where I would be able to find another one? Any leads would be much appreciated

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.