Infinity P252 Lacking Treble - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-01-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I just setup a 4.1 system (center has not been setup yet) including the following speakers and receiver:

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1020-K

Front L/R: Infinity P252 Floorstanding

Surround Back: Infinity P162

I had calibrated the speakers using Pioneer's auto-calibration and noticed during the process that the right front speaker (Infinity P252) did not produce any higher frequencies, higher pitched (my apologies for the lack of proper terminology) that all other speakers produced. I proceeded to connect my iPod using Pioneer's cables and noticed the vocals being distinct in the left speaker and muffled in the right. It even sounds like the majority of the vocals are coming from the left speaker, although when I move close to the right speaker, I do hear vocals, however muffled. The same occurred when watching TV using my HD cable box.

In summary, sound in the right speaker sounds muffled and I am not sure why whether running a "phantom center", improper connections (which I checked), or a defective speaker is to blame. If anyone can please assist me in this, your help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-01-2011, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have a suggestion?
post #3 of 5 Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Seems to be a speaker issue. Try swapping the P252 L and R speakers. If the same problem repeats itself with the L speaker, you will at least identify a speaker issue. If the problem remains with the R speaker, the problem will be isolated to the receiver, wires or connections.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Quote:

I proceeded to connect my iPod using Pioneer's cables and noticed the vocals being distinct in the left speaker and muffled in the right. It even sounds like the majority of the vocals are coming from the left speaker, although when I move close to the right speaker, I do hear vocals, however muffled. The same occurred when watching TV using my HD cable box.

Sounds like you may have a blown tweeter. Pull the grill so you know where the tweeter is, and put your ear right up next to it while playing the music. If you hear absolutely nothing from the tweeter, that’s probably the problem.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #5 of 5 Old 03-02-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.

I swapped the two speaker positions and more than likely the tweeter is blown. Looks like I will have to wait another few days before I can make use of my system.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat