Question about NAD amps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-13-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi, I'm new to the forum, and not an audiophile by any means, but I recently bought a used NAD amp/preamp, Nad C165bee and a Nad C275bee amp and noticed on the back of the NAD C275bee amp, that it has two sets of speaker connections(a and b), is it possible to connect two sets of speakers (four in total) and play at the same time or will it damage the amp or the used klipsch speakers since this amp states its only a two channel amp, I'm using this setup just for music only, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
You should be able to play two sets of speakers simultaneously. I'd check NAD's website for old manuals.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 7 Old 03-13-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

as far as I know, this NAD amp/preamp combo is actually pretty new, came out within the last two years but it's unclear from the manual if two sets of speakers can work at the same time. It's a two channel amp and it kind of doesn't make sense that one can hook up two sets of speakers to a two channel amp. I want to make sure if it can be done before I damage the amp or the speakers if I do so, since I have four klipsch rf63's...any NAD c275bee owners out there that would know?? thanks
post #4 of 7 Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke45 View Post
.... and noticed on the back of the NAD C275bee amp, that it has two sets of speaker connections(a and b), is it possible to connect two sets of speakers (four in total) and play at the same time or will it damage the amp or the used klipsch speakers since this amp states its only a two channel amp, ....
I'm not familiar with the amp, but this is where impedance comes into play; if it has two sets of speaker terminals, then it is designed/built to handle two sets of speakers. If it does not have an impedance switch to select/change (which I'll assume it doesn't since you're here asking) then the amp must be powerful enough to handle a low load for NAD to include A & B connections. You should be just fine.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
as far as I know, this NAD amp/preamp combo is actually pretty new, came out within the last two years but it's unclear from the manual if two sets of speakers can work at the same time. It's a two channel amp and it kind of doesn't make sense that one can hook up two sets of speakers to a two channel amp. I want to make sure if it can be done before I damage the amp or the speakers if I do so, since I have four klipsch rf63's...any NAD c275bee owners out there that would know?? thanks
considering that there is no switch on the device to choose between A and B and that the amp does not have a remote control, its a pretty safe bet to assume both outputs are always driven.

Drive as many speaker as you want as long as the load doesn't drop below the amplifiers rated minimum (4 ohms).
post #6 of 7 Old 03-14-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input, The only adjustment on the back of the NAD C275bee amp is a bridge switch,a pre-out swtich(fixed/variable) and a soft clipping switch, and the remote on the NAD c165bee pre-amp that I use for this combo states the A/B switch works on certain AVR rceivers and doesn't function for the NAD C165bee pre-amp..

I ONLY have two of my klipsch RF-63's hooked up and they sound really good, but I'd rather wait a bit to see if I get a definite answer as to if it's fine to hook up the other two Klipsch's rf-63 to the same amp and run all four since I don't know much about ohm's and impedence thing with speakers and amp and what that means.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
thanks for the input, The only adjustment on the back of the NAD C275bee amp is a bridge switch,a pre-out swtich(fixed/variable) and a soft clipping switch, and the remote on the NAD c165bee pre-amp that I use for this combo states the A/B switch works on certain AVR rceivers and doesn't function for the NAD C165bee pre-amp..

I ONLY have two of my klipsch RF-63's hooked up and they sound really good, but I'd rather wait a bit to see if I get a definite answer as to if it's fine to hook up the other two Klipsch's rf-63 to the same amp and run all four since I don't know much about ohm's and impedence thing with speakers and amp and what that means.
Man, Google is your friend: http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...ding-downloads And you can then even click on their link to get the manual in PDF form. It'll tell you what you need to know.

I read another review that also talked specifically about this amp "adjusting" itself to different OHM loads...as it was designed to do.

This amp isn't even old, and there is a ton of info on it. Google, read, learn...and then come ask if confused . Without even knowing what your Klipsch spkrs are rated (OHM-wise), I'd bet $$$ they're not below 4 ohm, which means you can safely use two per side and won't bring the load under 2ohms (which the amp is designed to handle!). Trust me on this. But better yet, try to read about it and get a personal understanding to increase your own knowledge. Enjoy your new amp!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page