Rear Center Channel + Surround System..?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-16-2011, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to incorporate a Rear Center Channel Speaker in a 7.1 setup to make it an 8.1 setup..?

3 in front - 2 surrounds on each side - 3 in the back..?

can you do that with a 7.1 AVR or do you need a 8.1 AVR or is there some other way to make it work or is it not even really all that necessary..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-16-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The main reason for not attempting this is that it is not desirable. There is also no way to do it with todays receivers. The center channel is a very important channel. Voices and a lot of action content start here and then pan to other speakers. Putting a center channel in the rear would throw proper imaging off. Voices centered in the front would also sound like they where coming from behind you where they are not intended to be. Im a little confused. Why would you even want this? You already have the best audio experience possible with one center channel in the front of the room. Im suggesting to stay away from this idea.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
They don't make AVRs with 8.1 output; they jump from 7.1 to 9.1 (the extra two go in the front, either up high or in a wide configuration.) There are/were 6.1 receivers made up into the mid-2000s that had a single rear surround channel, but nothing like that has since been produced.

I suppose you could wire a rear center with one of the rear surrounds in a series, mindful of the impedance issues, and get sound that way, but it would only pull info from one of the existing channels, so anything panning, it would be kind of lopsided. Can't imagine it would contribute much of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Putting a center channel in the rear would throw proper imaging off. Voices centered in the front would also sound like they where coming from behind you where they are not intended to be. Im a little confused. Why would you even want this?
I was under the impression that he wanted it like the old 6.1 systems that did have a rear center (well, properly termed a rear surround) channel.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post
I was under the impression that he wanted it like the old 6.1 systems that did have a rear center (well, properly termed a rear surround) channel.
When I first read the post I also gave that idea a thought. The way his post reads I think he is really asking about having a dedicated center channel in the rear. Especially since he was asking if there where any receivers with a discrete rear center channel. There isn't.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-16-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, he could clarify. I don't think he means the center channel audio, but hey, stranger things have happened here.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-16-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Either way he meant it I don't think it's needed or beneficial to a system or the audio experience. As a matter of fact I think it would be a negative addition even if it where possible to carry the idea out by rigging it up.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbaz View Post
Is it possible to incorporate a Rear Center Channel Speaker in a 7.1 setup to make it an 8.1 setup..?
3 in front - 2 surrounds on each side - 3 in the back..?
Source material with eight discrete channels of Middle Layer content (and, specifically, discrete Back Left (BL), Back Center (BC), and Back Right (BR) channel content [channel labels per SMPTE2036-2-2008]) seems unlikely to be available for the home until at least 2020 (if then!) And even then, most home decoders will probably 'default' to downmixing such content to a (conventional) 7.x Standard Middle Layer playback with only two rear speakers.

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #8 of 9 Old 04-16-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
sorry for any confusion, I was just pondering about a dedicated rear center channel speaker because I just bought 8 bookshelf speakers an was just wondering how I could incorporate the 8th speaker into a 7.1 setup..?
But it looks like its not really necessary though, so It will just have to be used a backup spare encase one of the other 7 dies then..

although what Tulpa said about "wiring a rear center with one of the rear surrounds in a series, mindful of the impedance issues" seems to intrigue me though, but like he mentioned, the sound would probably be kind of lopsided or off though..

oh well I just had the thought pop in my head about a rear center speaker and wanted to see what you experts had to say about it, but it looks to be an impractical way of setting up a surround sound system, so I guess I can erase that idea from my mind..
post #9 of 9 Old 04-16-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbaz View Post

although what Tulpa said about "wiring a rear center with one of the rear surrounds in a series, mindful of the impedance issues" seems to intrigue me though, but like he mentioned, the sound would probably be kind of lopsided or off though..

Well, the main issue is that for the speaker to work in a surround setting is that it would have to either get discrete channel info (which doesn't exist yet) or be wired so that it got sound that was a mix of both rears (which I'm not even sure is possible, at least without some kind of mixer involved.) Otherwise it would just be pulling sound from one of the two rears and overemphasize that particular channel. Not to mention screwing with any imaging back there.

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat