TV versus Cable Box - Digital Audio Output - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-18-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung Series 6 LCD HDTV, Comcast HDTV cable box, PS3 and just purchased a Bose CineMate Series II. My TV and cable box provide an optical digital audio output to attach to the Boise receiver. It's hard to describe (I think it's mainly a difference in tone), but I've noticed a difference in sound to when it's plugged into my cable box versus my TV. Which one is suppose to be "better" for connecting my Bose receiver? I have read some things on 2 channel audio versus 5.1 but don't understand how it translates to my scenario. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-18-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Usually the 2.0 vs 5.1 issue when it comes to TV's digital outs is that most TVs downrez the output to 2.0 unless the TV itself is doing the tuning (then it will output 5.1 if the channel offers it.) Very few TVs pass along the 5.1 sound untouched.

The digital cable box should output 5.1 sound if offered no matter what. So in theory that should be the better connection to the receiver. Which sounds better to you?

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 4 Old 04-18-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks...the digital cable box sounds slightly better but it's hardly noticeable.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-18-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001Vol View Post

I have a Samsung Series 6 LCD HDTV, Comcast HDTV cable box, PS3 and just purchased a Bose CineMate Series II. My TV and cable box provide an optical digital audio output to attach to the Boise receiver. It's hard to describe (I think it's mainly a difference in tone), but I've noticed a difference in sound to when it's plugged into my cable box versus my TV. Which one is suppose to be "better" for connecting my Bose receiver?

There is often a timing/lip synch difference between the cable box output and the TV output. The TV sound output is in synch with the picture and matches the video processing delays in the TV. Of course if you are handling this in your AVR then its not an issue.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page