How to hook up Headphones to my System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-18-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how I can hook up some headphones to my system so I can play games and listen to tv or blu rays kinda loud. I live in an apartment where I can't really use my sound system without pissing some people off.

Here is my problem. I have the Sony Bravia HT CT150 soundbar and subwoofer but it has no headphone jack. I currently have the bass cut all the way down and really just have a bit of sound come out of it to add to the sound that comes out of my Samsung LED UN55C6300 TV...just enough to make it sound somewhat better. The TV also does not have a headphone jack. I also have a PS3 and cable box running through the Sony and to the tv.

I was doing some reading online and below is what an HD Tech recommended to someone
Quote:
The UN46C6300 comes with an audio output, however it's a fixed-audio output and is designed for output to a receiver or AV amplifier.

Unfortunately, using headphones will not be possible since the input is a fixed-audio output, rather than a volume controlled variable-output needed for a headphone jack.

One solution you might consider would be to connect a small Home Theater or stereo bookshelf system that has an AUX-IN input (sending the audio from the TV to the system), and then use the headphone jack on the home system for your headphones.
So my question is...is there some sort of mini reciever or headphone amp I can run audio from my tv to and then plug in some headphones? I'm not looking to break the bank or buy a whole new sound system and I realize I will have to bypass my Sony all together to do this. I don't have headphones yet either but I guess my limit would be about 300 dollars with most of that going toward the headphones.

Is this possible, does this type of equipment exist?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Headphone amps are readily available from several sources. Some have 2-4 outputs for several people to use headsets for activities such as gaming.

Just Google headphone amps.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-19-2011, 04:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbf1 View Post
Hi,

So my question is...is there some sort of mini reciever or headphone amp I can run audio from my tv to and then plug in some headphones?

Is this possible, does this type of equipment exist?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Headphone amps are readily available and reasonably priced. They are designed to work with fixed or variable-volume sources as they generally have their own volume control. So, you can use the volume control on the headphone amp if the source has a fixed volume.

I own a number of them.

I have a Fiio E5 that I really like. It is designed to be used with PC's so its inputs and outputs are 3.5 mm stereo jacks, but cables to interface it with the RCA connectors on home audio gear are readily availble. It is designed to be powered from a USB port, but it will work well with the USB chargers/power supplies that are now common for use with cell phones and the like. Your total investment if you go this route will be under $40, but the sound quality belies the price. This unit even has a lithium battery so that it can be used with portable digital music players.

The opposite extreme would be my Rane HC6 professional rack mounted headphone amp. Again, you'll need an adapter cable to interface it with home audio gear, but it provides a ton of power for low sensitivity, high impedance headphones or very loud listening, or both. I had a little volume level mishap with mine and destroyed a pair of Grados that were fortunately not on my head at the time!
post #4 of 8 Old 05-19-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 154
You may want to look into a gaming headphone setup. Astro gaming has a mixamp which takes a 5.1 signal and converts it with Dolby Heaphone into a surround sound setup with a stereo headset. It is pretty amazing how great the soundfield can be. There is a very active thread in the Xbox forum here.

It won't be as cheap, but your enjoyment level would most likely be much higher with a simulated surround headphone setup. It truly is amazing.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #5 of 8 Old 05-19-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
As others have pointed out, headphone amps are readily available, and seem perfect for your use.

Depending on which headphones you choose a USB powered amp would not be a good solution if you like to listen at high volumes. 5V is just not enough for a high impedance headphone (e.g. senn 580/600/650) I'd suggest at least 9V power supply for them.

You don't need anything expensive, but for best results you want to get an amp that is either well matched to your choice of headphones, or, able to drive anything.

If you want to learn more, you might want to visit head-fi.org forums.

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
With the $300 budget, you may consider a wireless headphone system with built-in digital multi-channel decoding; look at the big Japanese names in headphones for examples (Sony, Audio-Technica, Pioneer). Otherwise I would look to a headphone amplifier, although if we're talking about a $20 or $30 pair of headphones that roughly fits within the realm of spec-normal, you might consider just getting an in-line attenuator (Koss makes the most well known example of this) and trying that out; your TV's line out should do just fine. This doesn't have to cost $300, however it can easily cost $3000 if you'd like.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you all for the advice. When I first started looking into this the other day I though it would be as easy as buying some headphones and popping them in something then that would be that. Little did I know there was such a science to it. I've done a ton of reading over the last few days and my mind almost exploded with all the information out there. I almost just said screw it.

I almost went with the Sennheiser RS 170 wireless headphones. (I'd never even heard of Sennheiser til the other day) I figured the transmitter part would act as the amp. I had my finger on the purchase button on Amazon but decided to back off to do more reading.

Then I read about that mixamp in this thread and other places and started reading about what "soundstage" meant. Long story short I ended up ordering the Mixamp 5.8 and ATH AD700 Headphones. I'll run an optical cord from my PS3 to the amp and be all set. I figure I'll be able to upgrade the headphones or buy something with more bass for movies with the mixamp. Had I gone The sennheiser wireless route I may have been stuck with just that.

I'm hoping I made the right choice, I guess I'll find out in a week or so when everything is delivered. Thanks again
post #8 of 8 Old 05-21-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbf1 View Post

Thank you all for the advice. When I first started looking into this the other day I though it would be as easy as buying some headphones and popping them in something then that would be that. Little did I know there was such a science to it. I've done a ton of reading over the last few days and my mind almost exploded with all the information out there. I almost just said screw it.

I almost went with the Sennheiser RS 170 wireless headphones. (I'd never even heard of Sennheiser til the other day) I figured the transmitter part would act as the amp. I had my finger on the purchase button on Amazon but decided to back off to do more reading.

Then I read about that mixamp in this thread and other places and started reading about what "soundstage" meant. Long story short I ended up ordering the Mixamp 5.8 and ATH AD700 Headphones. I'll run an optical cord from my PS3 to the amp and be all set. I figure I'll be able to upgrade the headphones or buy something with more bass for movies with the mixamp. Had I gone The sennheiser wireless route I may have been stuck with just that.

I'm hoping I made the right choice, I guess I'll find out in a week or so when everything is delivered. Thanks again

You made a great choice! The nice thing about the mix amp is you can use any stereo headphone that you want and still have surround sound. I think you are going to be very surprised by what the mixamp does for movies and gaming. Head-Fi is a great website if you want to continue reading about headphones, and there is a lengthy discussion about different headphones with the mixamp. If you go to the first page of the link I gave you earlier, there is a link to MadLustEnvy and his thread over there.

HPs are great because you can buy different ones for different purposes. Bass Heavy for music and movies and more bass light for gaming.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page