AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio theory, Setup and Chat (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/)
-   -   HTR-6090 to PC help needed! (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/1338787-htr-6090-pc-help-needed.html)

boglejam 06-01-2011 04:25 PM

I'm hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. I am connecting my PC to a Yamaha HTR-6090 using an optical cable. The Display shows SUR. DECODE PRO LOGIC on the front of the tuner. Even thou I have a 5.1 setup, it is only showing a L and R speaker.

If I go into the properties panel of my sound card, I have DTS and Dolby Digital checked as supported, and when I play a test of either, the tuner display switches from PRO LOGIC to DTS or DOLBY DIGITAL while it plays the test, then goes back to PRO LOGIC once the test concludes.

Any ideas why I am only getting the surround sound support when I manually test it in the audio control panel on the PC and not all of the time?

I had a Yamaha HTR-3063 hooked to this PC earlier, and it worked right (showed all speakers on the display, full surround sound played) out of the box connected to this same PC.

Any help is much appreciated.

m_vanmeter 06-02-2011 06:47 PM

in the Yamaha setup menu, does it "know" it still has 5 speakers and a sub attached ?
is the mode set to automatically determine what the input source is ?

if all else fails, check the manual for the receiver and do a "factory reset to default values" (usually holding two buttons down while the unit turns on)

amirm 06-02-2011 09:25 PM

You need to check to see if your media player is decoding on the PC or sending out the bitstream as your test did.

walbert 06-03-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post

I'm hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. I am connecting my PC to a Yamaha HTR-6090 using an optical cable. The Display shows SUR. DECODE PRO LOGIC on the front of the tuner. Even thou I have a 5.1 setup, it is only showing a L and R speaker.

If I go into the properties panel of my sound card, I have DTS and Dolby Digital checked as supported, and when I play a test of either, the tuner display switches from PRO LOGIC to DTS or DOLBY DIGITAL while it plays the test, then goes back to PRO LOGIC once the test concludes.

Any ideas why I am only getting the surround sound support when I manually test it in the audio control panel on the PC and not all of the time?

I had a Yamaha HTR-3063 hooked to this PC earlier, and it worked right (showed all speakers on the display, full surround sound played) out of the box connected to this same PC.

Any help is much appreciated.

What are you playing back on the computer? Remember that the computer will only "want" to output things in their native format, so while it can output DTS and AC-3 (Dolby) files, if you're playing back stereo music you will only get stereo data to the receiver; Pro Logic or Neo:6 will be your options for re-mixing that into a quasi-surround program. Some soundcards may give you encoding/re-mixing options as well. If you put a multi-channel encoded source (a DVD with a 5.1 soundtrack, for example) into the computer and play that, does your receiver re-lock with AC-3 or DTS?

If you are playing back an encoded multi-channel source (DVD, ripped DVD, etc) and are getting stereo only, check your software player's output settings as Amir suggested.

If your goal is 5.1 via digital, from real-time rendered content (e.g video games - note that the game must support multi-channel, some games do not) you'll need Dolby Digital Live or DTS-Connect support on the computer's end, or multi-channel analog connections to the receiver/preamp.

Again, remember that if you're simply playing music from the computer this is almost certain to be stereo content and the computer will send that to the receiver as a stereo PCM bitstream - this is correct. If you want "noise from every speaker", use Pro Logic or some other program (Yamaha's CinemaDSP, DTS' DTS-Connect, etc).