AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio theory, Setup and Chat (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/)
-   -   Audio on HDTV went out, looking for work-around (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/1342512-audio-hdtv-went-out-looking-work-around.html)

Jsmit209 06-20-2011 11:54 AM

Okay, this if my first post and it may be a head-scratcher... so please offer any advice you have! Thanks!

I bought a Mitsubishi LT-52149... a sweet HDTV with an integrated sound projector (speaker bar attached). It worked well, until one day, the sound just quit. I tried all of my inputs (coaxal cable, HDMI, RCA) and nothing would work with the sound. I have basically given up on trying to get the sound on the TV to work (unless someone knows what is going on there.) So, now I am trying to figure out a work-around.

I currently run basic cable directly from my wall (no cable box) because it is free, I still get 100+ channels, and quite a few are in HD. I simply use a coaxial cable direcly from the wall socket into the TV. I also have a PS3, which I connect using the HDMI cable, and a Wii which I connect with the RCA plugs. Now, I would like to purchase a home theater unit that will allow me to plug these three things (coaxial, HDMI, and RCA) into it, then run a single HDMI cable out of the unit into my TV. This would allow the sound to run through the theater system while the TV runs the video. Does such a home theater unit exist? If not, is there a work around for the coaxial cable issue?

Any feedback would be very helpful because right now, I am having to use a second TV to watch cable!

ccotenj 06-20-2011 12:02 PM

^^^

how do you get cable for "free"?

fwiw, the answer is "no"... you'll need a cable box... i'm not aware of any avr/pre-pro that has an internal tuner...

Jsmit209 06-20-2011 12:23 PM

When I moved into my new place, I just ran a coaxial cable from the wall to the TV to see what, if any, channels would come through. When I turned on the TV, I had 100+ channels... not sure how, but I'm not going to call the cable company and ask why they are giving me free cable.

ccotenj 06-20-2011 12:30 PM

^^^

it's your conscience...

fwiw, thieves aren't really held in high regard on this forum...

in either case, you got your answer...

Ratman 06-20-2011 12:38 PM

Yes there are A/V recievers to do what you want for audio or video.
Coax has to go to TV (legal or not).

Why not have your TV's audio problem diagnosed and repaired by an authorized service facility?
Your choice... spend a few hundred for repair (or free if still under warranty) or a few hundred for an A/V receiver and speakers.

Jsmit209 06-20-2011 12:56 PM

Wow... "Thief" is a pretty strong word bro. I just got off the phone with my landlord, and apparently basic cable is part of the HOA fees every month. He is still covering those, so to me the cable is still FREE... so easy with the name calling...

schan1269 06-20-2011 01:15 PM

There are a couple of options to look into on the TV...

Did somebody accidentally turn on "center speaker" mode?

Did somebody accidentally turn off the speakers...??

You made no mention of trying anything in the menu. I would look at settings. It is also possible your cable company(that you aren't paying for) has suspended service finally. They do periodically send out "spikes" that can mess up "non-authorized" users.

Ratman 06-20-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

It is also possible your cable company(that you aren't paying for) has suspended service finally. They do periodically send out "spikes" that can mess up "non-authorized" users.

Ease up... read the previous post.

Either way... they can't turn off the audio to your TV.

Jsmit209 06-21-2011 12:13 PM

Thanks Ratman...

So, I finally managed to get sound from the TV by running RCA plugs from the audio out on my TV into the input on my old stereo system. I thought I had tried this before, but apparently I didn't do it correctly before. Sound problem #1 solved.

Now, are there any theories on what could have caused the TV speakers to go? This TV is specifically built and marketed for the speaker bar at the bottom. I have checked all options on the menu and played with the volume and various inputs... nothing gets any sound. Any idea what could be causing that? The sound is obviously being processed by the TV because it is able to send it throught the output. It would be great not to have to lug this beast of a TV all the way to a repair shop if the fix could be something simple.

SAM64 06-21-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

They do periodically send out "spikes" that can mess up "non-authorized" users.

How's that work? or, did you just make it up?

Jsmit209 06-21-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

It is also possible your cable company(that you aren't paying for) has suspended service finally. They do periodically send out "spikes" that can mess up "non-authorized" users.

I was wondering the same thing... Were you really implying that the cable company could somehow ping my specific hook-up and remove the sound from my broadcast, or were you just trying to take a cheap shot?

Ratman 06-21-2011 12:27 PM

Apparently the "sound bar" portion of your TV has failed. It has nothing (or should have nothing) to do with the audio outputs (analog or digital).

Perhaps a output transitor/amp died or whatever...
You can either haul the TV to a service shop, pay for in-home service or live with it.

Have you called Mits? Maybe they have some tips/suggestions.
Have you looked for a user replaceable fuse on the soundbar?

EDIT:
Just a SWAG... have you tried unplugging the TV from wall power for a few minutes? Sometimes a hard power cycle works miracles.