Need help broadcating Roku to other rooms - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-26-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Object: To broadcast Pandora/Roku to other rooms.
Current Components Involved: Lumegen Vision Pro HDP, Sherwood P965, Denon AVR 3801

The theater was originally set up so the Fios Music Channels could be broadcast to other rooms. This is done by setting the Sherwood to Video 2 and the Denon to TV. The Denon is used to amp the speakers in the other rooms. The hookup in back are cables between the Denon Ext in SBR & SBL to Denon Preout R&L and cables between Denon In TV/DBS R&L and Sherwood Aux out.

I have successfully set up the Roku in the theater connecting the Roku HDMI to the Lumegen Input 2 DVI-D and the Roku Optical to the Sherwood Opt 1. I set the Sherwood to be Video 1 Opt 1. I can't seem to broadcast Roku/Pandora tpo the other rooms.

Any help and suggestions?

Skip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-27-2011, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Your setup sounds somewhat esoteric - you have an AVR and a pre/pro, where's the additional amplifier?

Roughly, if I'm understanding you, the Sherwood and the Lumagen serve the main area, and the Denon is supposed to serve the multi-zone solution? How are they connected to one another? Why can't you use the Sherwood for multi-zone? I'm having trouble understanding why this Denon is even needed, and thinking that (assuming you have or can obtain an amplifier) just using the Sherwood with the Lumagen will dramatically simplify things for you.

Essentially what you want to do, assuming the Sherwood was used by itself is have the Room 2/Video 2 outputs connected to your distribution amplifier or second zone's receiver/IA, including the digital audio outputs (as the Sherwood won't convert digital to analog and vice versa) - then connect the Roku via optical or analog, and assuming you've configured things properly on the Sherwood's end it will pass that to Zone 2 independent of the main zone. If you need video it will have to be composite or s-video, so ultimately you could connect the Roku with optical and composite to the Sherwood, and with HDMI to the Lumagen - it'll be somewhat unwieldy to control but would work (A universal remote will abstract the control scruples).

Since you've got an AVR in the mix, we'll really need to know how it's connected (and why, just for my own curiosity) - because this can dramatically change how things can and can't be done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-27-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the response, walbert.

The Sherbourne 7/1250A is the amp.

My original post details how the Sherwood and the Denon are connected. The original installer wanted the extra power to run 5 sets of speakers upstairs as well as 2 sets of speakers outside. Actually there is another receiver connected to the Denon to power some of the speakers upstairs.

I only want audio (Pandora) piped upstairs from the Roku. No need for video.

Again, the current setup allows me to pipe audio from the DVR (I use the music channels) without a Zone 2 setup by setting the Sherwood to Video 2. I'm assuming with the Roku setup that I can do the same thing by properly setting the Sherwood. But, alas, no luck so far.

I will check the connections again tonight when I get home.

Again, thanks.

Skip
post #4 of 6 Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 704set View Post

Thanks for the response, walbert.

The Sherbourne 7/1250A is the amp.

My original post details how the Sherwood and the Denon are connected. The original installer wanted the extra power to run 5 sets of speakers upstairs as well as 2 sets of speakers outside. Actually there is another receiver connected to the Denon to power some of the speakers upstairs.

I only want audio (Pandora) piped upstairs from the Roku. No need for video.

Again, the current setup allows me to pipe audio from the DVR (I use the music channels) without a Zone 2 setup by setting the Sherwood to Video 2. I'm assuming with the Roku setup that I can do the same thing by properly setting the Sherwood. But, alas, no luck so far.

I will check the connections again tonight when I get home.

Again, thanks.

Skip

Your original post was unclear and this setup sounds like a nightmare - connect the Roku via analog somewhere and hope it works, but without knowing substantially more about the mess you've got, I doubt I can be of much more help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 AM

I think the number one problem here is...

The 2nd zone can only accomodate analog.

Connect the Roku via Red/White as well, then pick that as the 2nd zone.

What is there is a "mess", but the main problem is nothing is connected to actually get to the "other" zones.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-27-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Success.

Thanks walbert and schan. Sometimes the KISS principle is the best.

Skip
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page