Help Setting up audio with HDMI from Blu-Ray to Receiver to TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum; I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the 3D source components forum. Ended up posting here since the primary "problem" component seems to be the Denon receiver.

I could really use some help with setting up my A/V. I've searched and researched, but my A/V Foo is feeling mighty weak.

System Components
This connection set-up fails
Samsung Blu-Ray --> hdmi --> Denon Receiver --> hdmi --> Samsung Plasma
  • Audio comes through the Denon receiver correctly.
  • Video displays, but does not have full/native 3D, i.e, have to use the 2D to 3D up convert to work.
  • Samsung BD wise fails.

This connection set-up may work
Samsung Blu-Ray > hdmi > Samsung Plasma
and
Samsung Blu-Ray > audio optical > Denon Receiver
  • Has full 3D on the TV (and sound).
  • Has sound through the Denon receiver, but I'm concerned that the audio will only be 2-channel at times.
  • Samsung BD Wise successfully pairs.

fwiw: I've disabled any type of upconvert on the Denon receiver HDMI video output.

A few questions
  1. The Denon HDMI Spec sheet states HDMI 1.1 - is this even compatible with full Blu-Ray/3D output using a direct HDMI relay connection from the Blu-Ray player through the receiver to the TV?
  2. Is using the optical audio going to be a problem for full 5.1/Dolby Digital sound? From the Blu-Ray manual (pg. 34), it states that the optical connection will only support 2CH when using PCM audio. However, Bitstream audio over the optical connection will support Dolby Digital, unless the audio on the disk is PCM encoded.
  3. Or is this just a case where my Denon receiver does not have the HDMI relay capability?

In re-reading this a few times, I believe question 2 above really is the primary question of this entire post.

::k::

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-06-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

HDMI 1.1 i believe is video only so u need to connect digital bitstream for audio.And no 3d with this reciever.So i believe u need to connect ur 3d blueray straight to tv.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-06-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

HDMI 1.1 i believe is video only so u need to connect digital bitstream for audio.And no 3d with this reciever.

Can you expand on that just a bit? What do I need to connect the digital bitstream? (audio optical or?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

was in a rush sorry. Connect ur blueray via digital audio thru your reciever.You'll get your 5.1.
This connection set-up may work
Samsung Blu-Ray > hdmi > Samsung Plasma
and
Samsung Blu-Ray > audio optical > Denon Receiver
Has full 3D on the TV (and sound).
post #5 of 10 Old 07-06-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 130
The Denon will not pass 3D video. So, you need to connect the player directly to the TV rather than going through the AVR.

Optical will provide DD 5.1 and DTS, both of which will sound great. Optical is only limited to stereo when the source is PCM. But, since nearly all BDs have encoded TrueHD or dts-MA audio, that will rarely be a problem. Simply set the player output to bitstream.

Using optical instead of HDMI to the receiver means you cannot get lossless audio. But, the high bitrate lossy tracks on Blu-ray rival lossless for quality. So, the HDMI>TV and optical->AVR combination is the way to go.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-06-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Rocky1 and BIslander.

I feel my A/V Foo beginning to come back again! Appreciate the very quick and detailed feedback.

I just ordered an HDMI splitter from Monoprice (PID 8204) and will see if that will help with the direct HDMI audio to the receiver. In the meantime I'll set up the optical audio as described.

Thanks!

post #7 of 10 Old 07-06-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

HDMI 1.1 i believe is video only so u need to connect digital bitstream for audio.

DVI is video only. HDMI 1.1 supports audio. No need to connect a secondary cable.

Amir
Founder,

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #8 of 10 Old 07-06-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

DVI is video only. HDMI 1.1 supports audio. No need to connect a secondary cable.

Lol, what was i thinking.your right sorry
post #9 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 02:25 PM

Liked: 11
hey guys.
I have a samsung pn51d8000 and a samsung bd-d5500 blu ray player, and an onkyo avx 380 ( pretty much the onkyo ht-3300, just a walmart veraion) ok tv and blu ray are 3d and have bd wise, a/v reciever is 3d . problem is that i cannot get 5.1 when using netflix, but can using regular tv. also i am limited to pcm. bd wise also fails, tv has it but the blu ray player has it greyed out. i connect br hdmi to reciever then reciever hdmi to tv. i have an optical cord, should i --- go hdmi br to tv and optical from tv to reciver, or br hdmi to tv then br optical to reciever ? or am i all wrong ??? thx guys.

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
post #10 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 View Post

hey guys.
I have a samsung pn51d8000 and a samsung bd-d5500 blu ray player, and an onkyo avx 380 ( pretty much the onkyo ht-3300, just a walmart veraion) ok tv and blu ray are 3d and have bd wise, a/v reciever is 3d . problem is that i cannot get 5.1 when using netflix, but can using regular tv. also i am limited to pcm. bd wise also fails, tv has it but the blu ray player has it greyed out. i connect br hdmi to reciever then reciever hdmi to tv. i have an optical cord, should i --- go hdmi br to tv and optical from tv to reciver, or br hdmi to tv then br optical to reciever ? or am i all wrong ??? thx guys.

Only about 1/4 of Netflix content has 5.1 available. You need to check the info screen for whatever you plan to watch to see if you should be getting 5.1.

Here's an old thread about BD Wise. Doesn't sound like something you really need anyway. Apparently the TV and BD player must be connected to each other for it to be available. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1135561

No idea what you mean about being limited to PCM. Make sure you have audio settings on the player correct. Use bitstream with secondary audio off.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page