Samsung BD-C6500 blu-ray and Yamaha V363 - front speakers only - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I've seen various threads where folks are only getting sound out of their front 2 speakers in a 5.1 setup. Usually, it appears to be the case that the source device is outputting PCM instead of bitstream. That may be the case for me as well, but I'm having trouble configuring the darn thing properly.

The receiver is a Yamaha V363. I've got the TV plugged in to the HDMI pass-through. The speakers test fine from the receiver's configuration menu (I can get test tones out of all the speakers that way).

The blu-ray player is a Samsung BD-C6500. The video connection is HDMI, and I have a toslink cable connected for the audio. When I go to the test tones in the Samsung's settings menu, the sound is all directed to the front 2 speakers.

I've tried various combinations of audio settings in the Samsung. Currently, they are set to:

Digital Output: Bitstream(Re-encode)

Other options here are Bitstream(Audiophile) and PCM. I've tried all 3.

PCM Downsampling: Off
Dynamic Range Control: Off
Downmixing Mode: Surround Compatible

Other option is "Normal Stereo". I suspect that a third option of "None" would be what I'd want, but alas, it's not there.

DTS Neo:6: Off

I've been through all the FAQs in the sticky threads on this forum, but I'm at a bit of a loss. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Hi richunger, why not use multi ch analog connection?
post #3 of 4 Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

The DVD player should be set for bitstream. However, there may be a menu setting in the Yamaha to activate the Toslink connection.

Quote:

and I have a toslink cable connected for the audio. When I go to the test tones in the Samsung's settings menu, the sound is all directed to the front 2 speakers.

I wouldn’t worry about that. All that matters is if you get the 5.1 indicator on the Yamaha to light up when you’re watching a movie. That will mean the player is outputting the correct signal, and the receiver is decoding it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-24-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured out how to get it working with the analog cabling (though I have to manually select "multi channel input" every time I change the input to DVD, which is not so user friendly). I still can't get the yamaha to show a 5.1 input from the samsung when using the toslink connection. I'm starting to think that I'll just have to live with that.

Seems strange that it's just not possible to get a digital 5.1 signal from the blu-ray player to the receiver. I wish I'd realized when I bought the receiver that the HDMI was only pass-through. That's a subtle distinction that I'm sure goes right over the head of most consumers (like me). Oh well, at least it's working.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Yamaha Rx V363 Receiver
Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page