optical cable vs HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-26-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just replaced my old DLP with a Samsung D7000. My Pioneer VSX-1019AH does not support 3D of HDMI so I have directly connected the PS3 to the TV. Now I lost my sourround sound. If I take an optical cable on the out of the TV to in on the Pioneer, will that give me the 5.1 back? Do lose anything going from HDMI to optical cable? I know I could also go from PS3 optical out to the reciever but still curious on the diff of optical vs hdmi

I have not tried and tested it out yet, I need to go get an optical cable to see but thought I would ask here.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-26-2011, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Optical will work fine for Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1

It will not, however, carry HD Audio like TrueHD or DTS Master Audio, or uncompressed PCM.

If you use these codecs, then you will loose them. However, the regular DD or DTS on Blu-Ray are less compressed than the DVD equivalent, and will sound almost identical on all bu the best audio systems.

Get an optical cable for the $4 they are at Monoprice.com and try it. If you like it, then stick with it.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post

If I take an optical cable on the out of the TV to in on the Pioneer, will that give me the 5.1 back?

You will likely be limited to stereo if you use the TV to feed audio to your sound system. In order to get 5.1 from all sources, you need to run optical or digital coax from each device directly to the AVR.

Quote:

Do lose anything going from HDMI to optical cable? I know I could also go from PS3 optical out to the reciever but still curious on the diff of optical vs hdmi

There will be no difference when using optical with all sources except for lossless audio on Blu-ray. HDMI supports TrueHD and dts-MA. Optical is limited to lossy DD 5.1 and DTS. But, as noted in the previous post, the lossy codecs are less compressed on BD than on DVD and they sound great. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page