tv forcing 2ch audio from dvd via hdmi - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a LG DR787T dvd player hooked to a sanyo dp50740 plasma tv via hdmi. the tv has a digital out but will not pass 5.1 from the dvds hdmi through the digital out. so i ran a seperate optical cable from the dvd player to my digital decoder. still only getting 2 ch audio. played with settings to no avail. finally tried disconnecting the hdmi from the dvd player while leaving the optical cable hooked up. magically dolby digital works. i can now plug the hdmi back in and maintain 5.1 audio for the rest of the movie. the moment i stop the dvd for any reason i will lose the 5.1 ch audio and it will rsort back to 2ch stereo unless i sht everything off, disconect the hdmi from the dvd player, start the movie, then plug the hdmi back in and the turn on the tv. not really praticlle to go through all that tvery time you want to watch a dvd. do all dvd players act like this or is it just a freak thing with the lg that i have. i dont mind getting another dvd player but want to make sure it doesnt do the same thng.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-28-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

the other thing i was thinking is the sanyo tv does not have any way to shut off the tv speakers. could this be why it is forcing the dvd to output 2 ch audio?
post #3 of 15 Old 09-28-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint1000 View Post

the other thing i was thinking is the sanyo tv does not have any way to shut off the tv speakers. could this be why it is forcing the dvd to output 2 ch audio?

The HDMI handshake is informing the DVD player that it's connected to a 2-speaker television that's not capable of 5.1 audio.

Can you find a way to either disable HDMI audio on the DVD player or tell the TV you want to use external speakers? Most TVs these days have that option, it's just well-hidden on some of them.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

ive searched every inch of menus on the tv and dvd. nothing on the tv to turn off the on board speakers. nothing on the dvd to disable hdmi audio. will this happen with any dvd player i try or just a fluke to the lg. i dont have another dvd player with hdmi to try
post #5 of 15 Old 09-28-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:

ive searched every inch of menus on the tv and dvd. nothing on the tv to turn off the on board speakers. nothing on the dvd to disable hdmi audio. will this happen with any dvd player i try or just a fluke to the lg. i dont have another dvd player with hdmi to try

Well your HDMI connection is doing its job. That's one of the great (and also frustrating, as you're finding out) things about the standard: it's digital, so the devices can exchange information about one another - it's called their EDID if I remember correctly. Basically they can relay information about their capabilities both upstream and downstream so that the devices on either end work correctly with them.

It's also one of the more frustrating things about it. If a single setting on your AVR is wrong, for example, your HTPC won't output in multichannel audio, or bitstream - because it'll be getting information from the TV that says "Hey, I'm a 2-channel only device, 2-channel PCM for me kthxbai". Windows 7, ATI video cards and AVRs have a problem where enabling HDMI audio causes everything to go haywire, because it's having trouble with the multiple EDIDs I mentioned before.

If you can't find an option on either device to disable the TV speakers/HDMI audio and use external speakers/optical connection, you might have to use a component video connection instead. That way the TV will only recieve video and won't be able to communicate with the DVD player.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-28-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

do you think this would happen with another dvd player or its just a problem between the sanyo tv and the lg dvd player
post #7 of 15 Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:

do you think this would happen with another dvd player or its just a problem between the sanyo tv and the lg dvd player

As long as you can't switch off HDMI audio, it'll happen with any DVD player you put on that TV. It's not actually the DVD player at fault though - the TV is telling the DVD player what to send it, and if you can't turn that option off, you're kinda screwed.

I could be wrong, but that's my understanding of how HDMI works.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Sounds like you need a new HDMI receiver and just hook the DVD player the the AVR and then the AVR to the TV - problem solved (maybe more expensive then you wanted ).

post #9 of 15 Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Many players gave a setting that disables HDMI audio. Or, if the player has component video outputs, that would get around the handshake that is causing the stereo downmix.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-29-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Sounds like you need a new HDMI receiver and just hook the DVD player the the AVR and then the AVR to the TV - problem solved (maybe more expensive then you wanted ).

Hahaha, well yeah, that'd be the simplest answer. Something tells me he doesn't have the budget for that.

I'm gonna go with what I said before - component connection + coax/toslink digital audio. He might not get the benefit of a purely digital video connection, but component input is at least capable of HD and is probably second-best to HDMI in terms of quality.

It'll certainly let him do what he wants for the meantime, though.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-29-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

problem solved. went to best buy, upscaling sony dvd player 44.95 and a rocketfish 5.1 audio card 29.95 for my htpc. now everything runs in dolby digital. theres 1 extra button to push when you switch inputs because you have to switch the tv and the avr but could be worse. thanxs for the help. wish they posted this kind of info about the tvs befor you buy, like the digital audio out doesnt pass through 5.1 or using hdmi on the tv will force all conected componets to run in 2 ch stereo. would make a big difference in purchasing tvs. although i do have to give the sanyo some credit. the picture quality is very good. thanks again
post #12 of 15 Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

wish they posted this kind of info about the tvs befor you buy, like the digital audio out doesnt pass through 5.1 or using hdmi on the tv will force all conected componets to run in 2 ch stereo. would make a big difference in purchasing tvs. although i do have to give the sanyo some credit. the picture quality is very good. thanks again

This is true of all recent TVs, and is due to digital rights management issues, not TV specs per se. So it's more of a failure on the buyer's part for not adequately researching before setting things up. Most folks us a HDMI switching AVR which negates the issues, and use of component video also works with no loss of inherent quality. And last but not least, there ARE players which offer the means to deal with this issue, such as turning off HDMI audio.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This is true of all recent TVs, and is due to digital rights management issues, not TV specs per se. So it's more of a failure on the buyer's part for not adequately researching before setting things up. Most folks us a HDMI switching AVR which negates the issues, and use of component video also works with no loss of inherent quality. And last but not least, there ARE players which offer the means to deal with this issue, such as turning off HDMI audio.

i checked all throught the tv manual, no where does it state that the digital out will not pass through 5.1. i called sanyo tech support and was told the tv SHOULD pass through 5.1. so as the "buyer" i do not know how i could of known that it didnt work. i already had a dolby digital 5.1 reciver, so no sense of buying somthing new that i already had. finally, my tv is monted on the wall, so all my hdmi cables and digital audio cables where fished in the walls and ran across the room under the floor, all which was done befor hooking up the tv. so it gets a little upsetting after all that work to find out that a stupid feature of your new tv that wasnt posted any where is keeping your digital surround sound from working
post #14 of 15 Old 09-30-2011, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My Bravia 52Z5100 passes 5.1 just fine...but it was one of ths reasons I bought the unit. At the time, most units would not.

Did my research HERE first. I love this place.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-30-2011, 04:59 AM

Gotta admit, I agree somewhat with saint. It's easy for us to sit here and go "bwaaaahhh (think melchett in blackadder), well you should have been more aware of what you were buying, caveat emptor, etc etc", but that's unfair because for the average consumer, they don't KNOW what to ask, or what to look for.

Most people encounter these things for the first time the way saint just did - discovering somewhat accidentally that their gear doesn't work right when placed together for whatever reason.

The problem though is that if they started putting all this information "out there" on the boxes and the advertising and whatnot, average people would see it as a broken/not worth it product. They'd look and go "oh well it DOESN'T do this" without actually understanding what it is they are reading. And most people couldn't care less about this stuff either. Everyone knows the people who "don't care" that their DVD player is vertically stretching anamorphic content to fit a 4:3 screen because it "looks fine". Those kind of people constitute the majority of home entertainment goods purchasers - and it's why all those "set up your home theatre" services are so damn successful. It's basically a case of "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!"
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page