what is a pre out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have looked around this forum trying to figure out what a pre amp is, and i cannot seem to get it.

first of all i have a denon avr 591 powering energy cf-70s(fronts), energy cc-10(center), and eneryg cb-10s(surrounds) for a 5.1 system.

i like the sound of this system a lot but is there any way of using the pre out and an external amp to give the front floorstanding speakers better sound?

also, where is the pre out located? is it a plug? or am i missing something?

thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Here's an example - RCA outs for each channel, goes into input on power amp (bypasses the receiver's internal amps):

(see the section labeled "pre out")

Edit: based on a similar image of 591 back panel I Googled, doesn't look like it offers pre outs, so you'd need to replace the receiver if you wanted to do it.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 10:02 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepretzeladdict View Post

i have looked around this forum trying to figure out what a pre amp is, and i cannot seem to get it.

first of all i have a denon avr 591 powering energy cf-70s(fronts), energy cc-10(center), and eneryg cb-10s(surrounds) for a 5.1 system.

i like the sound of this system a lot but is there any way of using the pre out and an external amp to give the front floorstanding speakers better sound?

also, where is the pre out located? is it a plug? or am i missing something?

thanks for any help you can provide.

Easiest way to explain this is your receiver (AVR) serves 3 functions in one unit. It serves as the tuner, a pre-amplifier and a power amplifier. Before AVR's became available we had to buy each of these units separately.
Your Denon receives a signal from an audio source and then routes or "pre-processes" audio signals to your internal amp from various sources (ie; CD player ect).
It also "amplifies" the sound and sends it to the necessary channels. In the last few years, video processing has been added to many receivers and they are now called AVR's. Which is what you have.

Now with all these functions (including video processing) being performed by one unit it has been said to take away from the overall performance of the unit. Therefore many people have added a separate external amplifier in order to get the more power to the front speakers for example. An external amp will bypass the AVR's internal amp and send power to the speakers you connect it to.

In order to do this your AVR needs a connection called a pre-out. Without this it will not be possible to attach an external amplifier to your system. From the looks of your Denon it doesn't look like you have one.

What I reccommend would be upgrade your AVR to something a little more powerful and has pre-outs. Then if you are craving more power you can always upgrade to an external amplifier at that point. Hope that helped!!
post #4 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
If you don't mind possibly voiding your warranty, any LEGITIMATE electronics repair shop can add a PRE out to your AVR. All that is necessary is to interrupt the signal path after the gain control as it is fed to the power amps. This is exceptionally easy to do on a 2 channel system but is a tad more difficult for a 5.1 but it can be done.

The cost would probably be in the 200.00 range.
I used to do it a lot on 2.0/.1 systems.

Most higher end older systems had a jumpered Pre-OUT/Main-IN setup designed to accept an outboard graphic or parametric equalizer. Sadly, that has been all but forgotten in the age of doing everything with programmed systems.

NOTICE!! I said legitimate service shops, NOT "upgraders" aka hack jobbers.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

If there is a set of outputs on the back of your AVR labeled "pre out" (there should be one for each channel), then yes you can do this. Check the manual.

But don't assume that adding an external amp will improve your sound in any way. That can only happen if your AVR can't adequately drive your speakers. That's possible, but if I had to guess I'd say what you have now is fine.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #6 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 AM

Liked: 10
I have a pioneer 1120k & that has pre-out & I like to use pure direct but there's no sub(music)

Now when I use a the L & R pre-outs to my sub L & R inputs is the signal always unfiltered? or is the avr xO still active?say I put all small channels will the L & R pre-outs be filtered?

It's all about those Oakland Raiders
P.S Fix Socom Zipper
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page