building a home theater system...help before they close up the walls - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-13-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to building a home theater system. from all the research i have all the setups for my 24'x17' living room/ breakfast nook.

I put all of the speaker wires in conduits, "smurf" tube. I am running 12/2 (cl2) awg to the 7 speaker locations and a rca line to the sub. to a 55 cu inch 3x gang with a 1.5" pvc to a single box for the hdmi (1.4 cl2).

I have a 55" Tv to be wall mounted with my "viewing distance" from 9 ft from the tv. All the angles i guess are right 0 (center), 30 (fronts), 110 (sides), 155( rears). Everything 9' from the viewing position except the sides they are about 7.5'. Sides and rear will be ceiling hung on a 10 ft ceiling. The fronts are at 48".

Am I on to the right track? I tried to futureproof my best for worst case scenario. and after they close the walls up no more moving!!

I ordered a pair of Energy rc mircos 5.0 ( 170!!!!!!!!!! from newegg) Will they be too small for the current setup??? I plan to maybe add energy takes for my front 3 use the micros for sides and rears and maybe add an esw-8 sub (300) with a denon avr-1912.

Thoughts opinions?? sorry for all the long post just wanted all the info i had!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-14-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 249
All I would suggest is to add "pull strings" in the conduit. You never know if you want to add or change a wire/cable down the road. Makes it simple.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-14-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
kind of new to most home theater setups, but what have you done for ethernet wiring, to get internet to the HT room ? Hard wiring is best, CAT5e in the wall and back to the entry point for cable, DSL, or whatever means you will have for internet access. Movie streaming, internet radio, a/v file sharing with other computers in the house are all becoming part of an HT setup.

What wiring are you running to the TV ? Where is it's AC power coming from ? Primary connection between TV and a/v electronics is HDMI ? Did you run a spare HDMI cable, just in case ? CAT5e to the TV, if it can use it for streaming and widgets ?
post #4 of 9 Old 12-14-2011, 07:38 AM

I always make sure there is a surge suppressor in the power line somewhere. If it can't be installed at the breaker box (whole-house protection) I install surge suppressor outlets (replaces the normal receptacle), which will go easily behind wall mounted TVs in in projector outlet boxes. I use high quality suppressed plug strips for the more "economy" oriented installs for other gear. This is NOT the same as a "power conditioner", which may include surge suppression, and also filtering. The benefits of all that power-conditioning voodoo are questionable, but keeping power spikes from damaging your investment is of proven value. I do install power conditioners in higher-end systems because of visibility and client confidence, though I will honestly inform the client of the science behind it all, and the lack of evidence behind the claims of exotic conditioner manufacturers.

Most flexible conduit systems have pull stings in them when you buy them. When you pull in new wire, pull in new string too. The world is wired with Cat-5e, it's used for more than just network, things like IR repeaters, and even audio/video, so it's not a mistake to have a bit of that available and uncommitted.

Plan for a well-executed remote control system. Even simple systems with a TV and a receiver are clumsy to use with the remotes that come with the gear. On even simple systems I suggest that clients budget for a graphical remote of some sort, on my custom installs I market an iPad-based highly customized control system. If the user can't easily use what's installed, what has been accomplished? The budget for a controller often exceeds that of the receiver, and that's entirely realistic.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-15-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

All the a/c power is where it needs to be. I moved a few boxes to keep the distance around my speakers at max to limit interference.

I did not run a spare hdmi cable since that would be easiest to change out in the 1.5' pvc, there is plenty of room. My thoughts was the receiver would handle all my hdmi switching.

Cat5 was not chosen due to cost, i am only 28 and building my first house. PLus i use an apple mini mac for streaming, and have a few repeater with built in ethernet bridges to handle an devices lacking hdmi. They work great at my place now.

Never knew of suppressor outlets. I will look into them once i start buying my outlets.

Oh and no string in the flex tube, thought was i would only change if one was bad then i could just do a nice tape job to the defective wire and pull that one out as i pull the new one in.

Order update on speakers. I bought two sets of the 5.0 energy rc micros, wow they are small but look great!!!! And plan on a simple 3.0 system for the master with the extras. I am a movie guy and no audiophile by any means, but good speakers really standout from bad ones/setups. Thinking of adding a energy s10.3 or esw-m8 sub, like a little thump. Thoughts??
post #6 of 9 Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

i'd find the money to run the cat5... i sure wish i had it run when my house was re-wired back in the 90's...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #7 of 9 Old 12-16-2011, 12:26 AM

Liked: 13
Run cat5/6 and pull strings.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-16-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by afav View Post

I am new to building a home theater system. from all the research i have all the setups for my 24'x17' living room/ breakfast nook....

I ordered a pair of Energy rc mircos 5.0 ( 170!!!!!!!!!! from newegg) Will they be too small for the current setup???

I would think yes.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #9 of 9 Old 12-16-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

i'd find the money to run the cat5... i sure wish i had it run when my house was re-wired back in the 90's...

Absolutely agree.

When I added to mine, I ran about 15 spare cat5e runs from the basement at the cable box point to various locations around the house, every room in the house also has spare telephone, thermostat, speaker runs (two per room), the bedrooms have coax for tv..I still have an awful lot of cat5e left..edit: in fact, I had one of the techs at work use 6 lengths of 25 feet to make me a 4 ohm cable for driving a very fast load..still, the box has wire...

Buying all the wires in bulk paled in comparison to the material costs of sheetrock, insulation, baseboard heat, and radiant heat (I did all that install, but hired a spackler...I hate spackling.. )

A thousand foot box of cat5e was only 60 bucks if I remember correctly.

Cheers, jn

Some discuss because they can. Others attack because they cannot. (unknown attribution)
A good man knows his own limitations...(Dirty Harry)
Lead, follow....or get out of the way..
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page