Audio Cable - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 79Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 194 Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
adept777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How does the Acoustic Research PR171 Digital RCA Cable (6 feet) cable compare to the AudioQuest RCA cables ( AudioQuest G-Snake audio cable - RCA plugs 1m (3.28') stereo pair )? Does it really make any difference like the 20 - 200 dollar price difference? Thanks!!

I need to get something to connect my Energy CF 70 to my Outlaw Audio Model 2200 through my Onkyo HT RC270 Pre-Out. Thank you!!!!!
adept777 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 194 Old 12-14-2011, 03:41 AM
 
dragonfyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
ANOTHER freaking interconnect/cable question which is virtually identical (save for the particular brand name) from every other interconnect/cable post?

So much for simply perusing the list of questions from the last 2-3 days or using the search function!

Why doesn't this site simply construct a "Read this first" sticky comment thread regarding interconnects and cables and put an end to this nonsense - sorry - very important nonsense?

So...to summarize:
Unless an interconnect has a suggested retail price in excess of $1000/meter, there is no possible way that it can suitably pass signal.

For those unable or unwilling to pay such absurd prices for such absurd claims, copper cable of suitable gauge and construction integrity may be employed at substantial cost savings. And while they will work Just as well, and maybe even better, be aware that you will not be able to 'wow' your friends with the absurd claims that come via paying ridiculous prices for interconnects and cables. On the other hand, neither will you become the subject of derision for being so gullible as to buy into the nonsensical marketing hype lent credence by the misuse of a few technical terms.

Kidding aside (well, all except for the comments about this being a needlessly recurring question that causes much frustration on this and nearly every audio related site in the galaxy...), you might check out sites such as MonoPrice.com or BlueJeans cable (a little pricier but at 'almost' reasonable market prices) for reasonably priced and good build quality cables.
dragonfyr is offline  
post #3 of 194 Old 12-14-2011, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adept777 View Post

How does the Acoustic Research PR171 Digital RCA Cable (6 feet) cable compare to the AudioQuest RCA cables ( AudioQuest G-Snake audio cable - RCA plugs 1m (3.28') stereo pair )? Does it really make any difference like the 20 - 200 dollar price difference? Thanks!!

I need to get something to connect my Energy CF 70 to my Outlaw Audio Model 2200 through my Onkyo HT RC270 Pre-Out. Thank you!!!!!

Neither will do the job. Here are the cables you MUST buy. Also for best sound you should replace all your cables with this (including speaker & power cables).
William is offline  
post #4 of 194 Old 12-14-2011, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jproy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East of West, Canada
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Neither will do the job. Here are the cables you MUST buy. Also for best sound you should replace all your cables with this (including speaker & power cables).

...must resist...urge to remortgage house...must
jproy13 is offline  
post #5 of 194 Old 12-14-2011, 06:05 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member
 
ap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post


Neither will do the job. Here are the cables you MUST buy. Also for best sound you should replace all your cables with this (including speaker & power cables).

They could at least make them from gold plated silver for that kind of price, not from humble copper.
ap1 is offline  
post #6 of 194 Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MarkHotchkiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by adept777 View Post

Does it really make any difference like the 20 - 200 dollar price difference?

Although I love reading the less serious responses (that's why I'm heare ), here is a serious one:

Digital is digital. The only way one cable would sound worse than another is if it is broken.
Five28 and ratloko like this.
MarkHotchkiss is offline  
post #7 of 194 Old 12-15-2011, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
adept777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all your smart comments!! I went ahead bought the AR PR171 (6ft) and I will post my experience soon!
adept777 is offline  
post #8 of 194 Old 12-15-2011, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
adept777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfyr View Post

ANOTHER freaking interconnect/cable question which is virtually identical (save for the particular brand name) from every other interconnect/cable post?

So much for simply perusing the list of questions from the last 2-3 days or using the search function!

Why doesn't this site simply construct a "Read this first" sticky comment thread regarding interconnects and cables and put an end to this nonsense - sorry - very important nonsense?

So...to summarize:
Unless an interconnect has a suggested retail price in excess of $1000/meter, there is no possible way that it can suitably pass signal.

For those unable or unwilling to pay such absurd prices for such absurd claims, copper cable of suitable gauge and construction integrity may be employed at substantial cost savings. And while they will work Just as well, and maybe even better, be aware that you will not be able to 'wow' your friends with the absurd claims that come via paying ridiculous prices for interconnects and cables. On the other hand, neither will you become the subject of derision for being so gullible as to buy into the nonsensical marketing hype lent credence by the misuse of a few technical terms.

Kidding aside (well, all except for the comments about this being a needlessly recurring question that causes much frustration on this and nearly every audio related site in the galaxy...), you might check out sites such as MonoPrice.com or BlueJeans cable (a little pricier but at 'almost' reasonable market prices) for reasonably priced and good build quality cables.

Thank you!! Your post was much useful!! and funny too
adept777 is offline  
post #9 of 194 Old 12-15-2011, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adept777 View Post

...I went ahead bought the AR PR171 (6ft) and I will post my experience soon!

I'll save you the trouble and (pre) post your experience for you.

A: You plug it in and it works
B: You plug it in and it doesn't work

Anything else is imagination, placebo and subjective.
hoyalawya and ratloko like this.
William is offline  
post #10 of 194 Old 05-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Newbie
 
gr4474's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No offence but anyone who pays thousands of dollars for cables has mental issues. These audio reviewers who talk about a $300 Volume2 is a super bargain are brainwashing you. I was looking into a volume knob to run my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card and Emotiva 125 watt/channel amp I just hooked up, when I realized there was a volume on my keyboard. dugghhh

I used to read audio magazines back in '90's ALL the time, and would get caught up in thinking I needed all this high dollar equipment. I later realized I just needed Jesus, and had an empty hole inside that I was trying to fill. Romans 10:9
gr4474 is offline  
post #11 of 194 Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 5,204
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Trollin' for Jesus! biggrin.gif
ratloko likes this.


CruelInventions is offline  
post #12 of 194 Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Newbie
 
gr4474's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking about this post today and hope I didn't come off wrong. I love researching products that I'm interested in, and I have to be careful to purchase wisely. This hobby can become a deep rabbit hole of wasted money, and it's easy to get caught up in overpriced toys because of very slick reviewers out there who are surely gaining from the manufactures somehow.
gr4474 is offline  
post #13 of 194 Old 06-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Member
 
ratloko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post


I'll save you the trouble and (pre) post your experience for you.



A: You plug it in and it works

B: You plug it in and it doesn't work


Anything else is imagination, placebo and subjective.

awesome hahaha smile.gif

"it is immoral to let a sucker keep his money" as the saying goes smile.gif
Gizmologist likes this.
ratloko is offline  
post #14 of 194 Old 06-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Member
 
brandon_k_w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I traded some spdif cables and in return got 6 audioquest g-snake RCA cables which I will be using for an sacd player. They're pretty looking, and they fit very... VERY snugly into the ports. Contrary to audiophile belief, I couldn't tell any difference in audio quality, but I'll be using these cables anyways because why not? But what a waste of money these things cowt him.
brandon_k_w is offline  
post #15 of 194 Old 06-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfyr View Post
ANOTHER freaking interconnect/cable question which is virtually identical (save for the particular brand name) from every other interconnect/cable post?<br><br>
So much for simply perusing the list of questions from the last 2-3 days or using the search function!<br><br>
Why doesn't this site simply construct a "Read this first" sticky comment thread regarding interconnects and cables and put an end to this nonsense - sorry - very important nonsense?<br><br>
So...to summarize:<br>
Unless an interconnect has a suggested retail price in excess of $1000/meter, there is no possible way that it can suitably pass signal.<br><br>
For those unable or unwilling to pay such absurd prices for such absurd claims, copper cable of suitable gauge and construction integrity may be employed at substantial cost savings. And while they will work Just as well, and maybe even better, be aware that you will not be able to 'wow' your friends with the absurd claims that come via paying ridiculous prices for interconnects and cables. On the other hand, neither will you become the subject of derision for being so gullible as to buy into the nonsensical marketing hype lent credence by the misuse of a few technical terms.<br><br>
Kidding aside (well, all except for the comments about this being a needlessly recurring question that causes much frustration on this and nearly every audio related site in the galaxy...), you might check out sites such as MonoPrice.com or BlueJeans cable (a little pricier but at 'almost' reasonable market prices) for reasonably priced and good build quality cables.
Are you trying to tell us there is no difference sonically in any cables, weither comparing ICs or speaker cable from one maker to another ..your not really saying that are you?
ddvintage609 is offline  
post #16 of 194 Old 06-25-2015, 09:51 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by adept777 View Post
Thanks for all your smart comments!! I went ahead bought the AR PR171 (6ft) and I will post my experience soon!
No need. I don't think anyone here is interested in digital cable experiences.
FMW is offline  
post #17 of 194 Old 06-25-2015, 09:54 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddvintage609 View Post
Are you trying to tell us there is no difference sonically in any cables, weither comparing ICs or speaker cable from one maker to another ..your not really saying that are you?
There are some cables with filters attached to them which will remove some of the analog content of the signal. There are a very few cables incompetently designed with excessive capacitance or inductance which can act as tone controls. Otherwise that is exactly what he is saying. If a cable changes the sound of a system, it is defective or incompetently designed. Basically you don't want it.
FMW is offline  
post #18 of 194 Old 06-25-2015, 11:14 AM
Member
 
RickJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddvintage609 View Post
Are you trying to tell us there is no difference sonically in any cables, weither comparing ICs or speaker cable from one maker to another ..your not really saying that are you?
Slow day, nothing better to do than dig up a zombie thread?
Ratman likes this.
RickJames is offline  
post #19 of 194 Old 06-25-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 5,204
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddvintage609 View Post
Are you trying to tell us there is no difference sonically in any cables, weither comparing ICs or speaker cable from one maker to another ..your not really saying that are you?
The "cable question" has come up hundreds of times, including several long threads here on AVS devoted to the topic over the years (and in many places).
Just by virtue of the fact that you're expressing shock or surprise here that it is even in question, suggests that you've spent most of your audio hobby life in environments (audio clubs, forums, etc.) which hold the prevailing opinion that cables matter and matter a lot, with relatively little representation given to the skeptical perspective.

So you are probably too far gone to be persuaded otherwise at this point, no matter what information is presented.
But yes, aside from the exceptional situations mentioned in FMW's post, cables make no audible difference.

That's not to suggest that people can't hear differences. But those reasons are pretty well understood by now.


CruelInventions is offline  
post #20 of 194 Old 06-25-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 17,036
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Ratman is offline  
post #21 of 194 Old 06-25-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 5,204
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 481
I don't get it... Are dolphins the chicken troll bait of the sea?


CruelInventions is offline  
post #22 of 194 Old 06-25-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 17,036
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 834
That's tuna.
(Trolling joke )
Ratman is offline  
post #23 of 194 Old 06-26-2015, 07:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
The "cable question" has come up hundreds of times, including several long threads here on AVS devoted to the topic over the years (and in many places).
Just by virtue of the fact that you're expressing shock or surprise here that it is even in question, suggests that you've spent most of your audio hobby life in environments (audio clubs, forums, etc.) which hold the prevailing opinion that cables matter and matter a lot, with relatively little representation given to the skeptical perspective.

So you are probably too far gone to be persuaded otherwise at this point, no matter what information is presented.
But yes, aside from the exceptional situations mentioned in FMW's post, cables make no audible difference.

That's not to suggest that people can't hear differences. But those reasons are pretty well understood by now.
One of two things are going on with ,,,or both..Number one, you have a tin ear or an untrained ear if you will.You either cant hear it or no clue as to what your hearing.Maybe you simple dont know the difference in a black ground or a blacker one,a collapse of the soundstage or a widening of one,the attack of an instrument or the decay of a note,im sorry if this holds true..Number two,you dont have equipment thats good enough to distinguish changes,if true again im sorry but for you to state what your stating shows lack of any audio knowledge or the ability to hear correctly.Its like saying a hamburger is a hamburger...we all know thats not true,it does matter the type of meat used,how its cooked ,how long its cook,what type bread is used etc etc
witchdoctor likes this.
ddvintage609 is offline  
post #24 of 194 Old 06-26-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zgeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Yes, and be sure to have a house that's on a hill. you'll get better sound. Otherwise, you really won't hear the difference in cables. Gravity's impact on the parametric electric phase of the current flowing through the wire will be impacted resulting in distortion that's audible to a TRUE audiophile.
zgeneral is offline  
post #25 of 194 Old 06-26-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 13,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddvintage609 View Post
One of two things are going on with ,,,or both..Number one, you have a tin ear or an untrained ear if you will.You either cant hear it or no clue as to what your hearing.Maybe you simple dont know the difference in a black ground or a blacker one,a collapse of the soundstage or a widening of one,the attack of an instrument or the decay of a note,im sorry if this holds true..Number two,you dont have equipment thats good enough to distinguish changes,if true again im sorry but for you to state what your stating shows lack of any audio knowledge or the ability to hear correctly.Its like saying a hamburger is a hamburger...we all know thats not true,it does matter the type of meat used,how its cooked ,how long its cook,what type bread is used etc etc
Those are arguments typically made by those who make high priced cables, those who sell/advertise them, and those foolish enough to have been duped by them. Buy what you want, think what you want, but those who actually do have a high degree of audio knowledge know better. For instance:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
http://www.verber.com/mark/ce/cables.html
mtn-tech likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #26 of 194 Old 06-26-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
highfigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
There are some cables with filters attached to them which will remove some of the analog content of the signal. There are a very few cables incompetently designed with excessive capacitance or inductance which can act as tone controls. Otherwise that is exactly what he is saying. If a cable changes the sound of a system, it is defective or incompetently designed. Basically you don't want it.
What??????????????????????

Remove some of the analog content of the cable? Could you please explain this?

The materials for cables vary and along with these variations, go the performance. Also, the electrical code dictates what materials can and can't be used, so if a cable needs to be in a wall, ceiling or plenum, PVC can't be used because of the toxic components in their smoke when they burn. Change the dielectric and the response can change. Also, the voltage rating for the cable is dependent on the dielectric material and the thickness of the dielectric, which also changes the response. It's usually not incompetence, it's application-based. That's the reason the specs are published- so people can choose the best cable for the application.
highfigh is offline  
post #27 of 194 Old 06-26-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
highfigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Those are arguments typically made by those who make high priced cables, those who sell/advertise them, and those foolish enough to have been duped by them. Buy what you want, think what you want, but those who actually do have a high degree of audio knowledge know better. For instance:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
http://www.verber.com/mark/ce/cables.html
I prefer plastic-coated wire hangers- what's your favorite?
highfigh is offline  
post #28 of 194 Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
What??????????????????????

Remove some of the analog content of the cable? Could you please explain this?
Filters are LCR circuits designed to alter the frequency response by removing or reducing some frequencies. Some cables have filters attached to them. An example would be Transparent Audio.

Quote:
The materials for cables vary and along with these variations, go the performance. Also, the electrical code dictates what materials can and can't be used, so if a cable needs to be in a wall, ceiling or plenum, PVC can't be used because of the toxic components in their smoke when they burn. Change the dielectric and the response can change. Also, the voltage rating for the cable is dependent on the dielectric material and the thickness of the dielectric, which also changes the response. It's usually not incompetence, it's application-based. That's the reason the specs are published- so people can choose the best cable for the application.
The thickness of the dielectric does not alter the frequency response. Making a cable that alters frequency response is always an incompetent design. Frequency response should be altered by a tone control or DSP or some other means that is adjustable and defeatable.
FMW is offline  
post #29 of 194 Old 06-26-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
highfigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
Filters are LCR circuits designed to alter the frequency response by removing or reducing some frequencies. Some cables have filters attached to them. An example would be Transparent Audio.



The thickness of the dielectric does not alter the frequency response. Making a cable that alters frequency response is always an incompetent design. Frequency response should be altered by a tone control or DSP or some other means that is adjustable and defeatable.
If the filter is removing some of the analog content, does this imply the presence of digital information?

An example would have been helpful. Having seen their pricing, I call shenanigans. The first section in the 'More about Transparent Audio Cable Design' section reads like their response to someone telling them "Prove it", by saying "We're not engineering these cables, we're making it up as we go and we're asking insane prices for them".

And that last statement- so much for keeping the signal path simple. You want to add filters after the amp with these cables (I saw speaker cables with filters)? That's the least efficient place to put them. I agree with the quote from Mr Ott WRT limiting system response, but who decides that the signal loss through filtering isn't necessary? I don't mean it's sensible to say "I want DC-Channel 5", though.

Last edited by highfigh; 06-26-2015 at 09:49 AM.
highfigh is offline  
post #30 of 194 Old 06-26-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 13,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3744
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
The thickness of the dielectric does not alter the frequency response.
Actually, it could, as if it was thin enough that could result in enough capacitance to cause high frequency losses. But of course if you did:
Quote:
Making a cable that alters frequency response is always an incompetent design.
+1.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off