Audio Cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-14-2011, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How does the Acoustic Research PR171 Digital RCA Cable (6 feet) cable compare to the AudioQuest RCA cables ( AudioQuest G-Snake audio cable - RCA plugs 1m (3.28') stereo pair )? Does it really make any difference like the 20 - 200 dollar price difference? Thanks!!

I need to get something to connect my Energy CF 70 to my Outlaw Audio Model 2200 through my Onkyo HT RC270 Pre-Out. Thank you!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-14-2011, 04:41 AM

Liked: 13
ANOTHER freaking interconnect/cable question which is virtually identical (save for the particular brand name) from every other interconnect/cable post?

So much for simply perusing the list of questions from the last 2-3 days or using the search function!

Why doesn't this site simply construct a "Read this first" sticky comment thread regarding interconnects and cables and put an end to this nonsense - sorry - very important nonsense?

So...to summarize:
Unless an interconnect has a suggested retail price in excess of $1000/meter, there is no possible way that it can suitably pass signal.

For those unable or unwilling to pay such absurd prices for such absurd claims, copper cable of suitable gauge and construction integrity may be employed at substantial cost savings. And while they will work Just as well, and maybe even better, be aware that you will not be able to 'wow' your friends with the absurd claims that come via paying ridiculous prices for interconnects and cables. On the other hand, neither will you become the subject of derision for being so gullible as to buy into the nonsensical marketing hype lent credence by the misuse of a few technical terms.

Kidding aside (well, all except for the comments about this being a needlessly recurring question that causes much frustration on this and nearly every audio related site in the galaxy...), you might check out sites such as MonoPrice.com or BlueJeans cable (a little pricier but at 'almost' reasonable market prices) for reasonably priced and good build quality cables.
Just cruising and ratloko like this.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-14-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by adept777 View Post

How does the Acoustic Research PR171 Digital RCA Cable (6 feet) cable compare to the AudioQuest RCA cables ( AudioQuest G-Snake audio cable - RCA plugs 1m (3.28') stereo pair )? Does it really make any difference like the 20 - 200 dollar price difference? Thanks!!

I need to get something to connect my Energy CF 70 to my Outlaw Audio Model 2200 through my Onkyo HT RC270 Pre-Out. Thank you!!!!!

Neither will do the job. Here are the cables you MUST buy. Also for best sound you should replace all your cables with this (including speaker & power cables).
post #4 of 14 Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Neither will do the job. Here are the cables you MUST buy. Also for best sound you should replace all your cables with this (including speaker & power cables).

...must resist...urge to remortgage house...must
post #5 of 14 Old 12-14-2011, 07:05 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

They could at least make them from gold plated silver for that kind of price, not from humble copper.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:

Does it really make any difference like the 20 - 200 dollar price difference?

Although I love reading the less serious responses (that's why I'm heare ), here is a serious one:

Digital is digital. The only way one cable would sound worse than another is if it is broken.
ratloko likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-15-2011, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your smart comments!! I went ahead bought the AR PR171 (6ft) and I will post my experience soon!
post #8 of 14 Old 12-15-2011, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfyr View Post

ANOTHER freaking interconnect/cable question which is virtually identical (save for the particular brand name) from every other interconnect/cable post?

So much for simply perusing the list of questions from the last 2-3 days or using the search function!

Why doesn't this site simply construct a "Read this first" sticky comment thread regarding interconnects and cables and put an end to this nonsense - sorry - very important nonsense?

So...to summarize:
Unless an interconnect has a suggested retail price in excess of $1000/meter, there is no possible way that it can suitably pass signal.

For those unable or unwilling to pay such absurd prices for such absurd claims, copper cable of suitable gauge and construction integrity may be employed at substantial cost savings. And while they will work Just as well, and maybe even better, be aware that you will not be able to 'wow' your friends with the absurd claims that come via paying ridiculous prices for interconnects and cables. On the other hand, neither will you become the subject of derision for being so gullible as to buy into the nonsensical marketing hype lent credence by the misuse of a few technical terms.

Kidding aside (well, all except for the comments about this being a needlessly recurring question that causes much frustration on this and nearly every audio related site in the galaxy...), you might check out sites such as MonoPrice.com or BlueJeans cable (a little pricier but at 'almost' reasonable market prices) for reasonably priced and good build quality cables.

Thank you!! Your post was much useful!! and funny too
post #9 of 14 Old 12-15-2011, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

...I went ahead bought the AR PR171 (6ft) and I will post my experience soon!

I'll save you the trouble and (pre) post your experience for you.

A: You plug it in and it works
B: You plug it in and it doesn't work

Anything else is imagination, placebo and subjective.
ratloko likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-02-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No offence but anyone who pays thousands of dollars for cables has mental issues. These audio reviewers who talk about a $300 Volume2 is a super bargain are brainwashing you. I was looking into a volume knob to run my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card and Emotiva 125 watt/channel amp I just hooked up, when I realized there was a volume on my keyboard. dugghhh

I used to read audio magazines back in '90's ALL the time, and would get caught up in thinking I needed all this high dollar equipment. I later realized I just needed Jesus, and had an empty hole inside that I was trying to fill. Romans 10:9
post #11 of 14 Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Trollin' for Jesus! biggrin.gif
ratloko likes this.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was thinking about this post today and hope I didn't come off wrong. I love researching products that I'm interested in, and I have to be careful to purchase wisely. This hobby can become a deep rabbit hole of wasted money, and it's easy to get caught up in overpriced toys because of very slick reviewers out there who are surely gaining from the manufactures somehow.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-13-2013, 03:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

I'll save you the trouble and (pre) post your experience for you.

A: You plug it in and it works

B: You plug it in and it doesn't work

Anything else is imagination, placebo and subjective.

awesome hahaha smile.gif

"it is immoral to let a sucker keep his money" as the saying goes smile.gif
Gizmologist likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-15-2013, 01:48 PM

I traded some spdif cables and in return got 6 audioquest g-snake RCA cables which I will be using for an sacd player. They're pretty looking, and they fit very... VERY snugly into the ports. Contrary to audiophile belief, I couldn't tell any difference in audio quality, but I'll be using these cables anyways because why not? But what a waste of money these things cowt him.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat