Polk Audio Monitor 70 receiver suggestion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-18-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

I'm very new to home theater audio setups. I just got my first place that isn't a dorm room not too long ago and have been steadily upgrading my HT in general.

I'd say the part I'm most lacking a good sense of direction in is that of AV receivers.

A little background:

Currently I'm using Logitech Z Cinema 2.1 PC speakers connected to the audio out on my TV . I decided to upgrade when I noticed an audio lag in music games. When using a AV switch with a 3.5mm connection instead of the audio out, the lag disappeared. So I decided it might be time to upgrade the audio department along with some better routing. I'm hoping a receiver won't have as much lag as going through my TV and then to my speakers. :x

Where I am now:

I've just ordered a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 70's and a PSW505 for a 2.1 setup and am seeking a receiver to complement it.

I've been looking at some midrange receivers, like the Onkyo-NR609 and the Pioneer VSX-1021-K. I need one with 3D support, and would really like something that does the speakers at least a little justice. Do you think either of these would be a good fit for my setup, or do you have any other suggestions for around the same price range? ~$400. If so, I'd love to hear them! It's also fairly important to have a number of legacy connectors. I'm a big gamer and frequently use retro systems. So I have about 2 component, 2 HDMI, and about 4-5 composite.

Thanks for any input!

-Pheria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-18-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheria View Post

Hello!

I'm very new to home theater audio setups. I just got my first place that isn't a dorm room not too long ago and have been steadily upgrading my HT in general.

I'd say the part I'm most lacking a good sense of direction in is that of AV receivers.

A little background:

Currently I'm using Logitech Z Cinema 2.1 PC speakers connected to the audio out on my TV . I decided to upgrade when I noticed an audio lag in music games. When using a AV switch with a 3.5mm connection instead of the audio out, the lag disappeared. So I decided it might be time to upgrade the audio department along with some better routing. I'm hoping a receiver won't have as much lag as going through my TV and then to my speakers. :x

Where I am now:

I've just ordered a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 70's and a PSW505 for a 2.1 setup and am seeking a receiver to complement it.

I've been looking at some midrange receivers, like the Onkyo-NR609 and the Pioneer VSX-1021-K. I need one with 3D support, and would really like something that does the speakers at least a little justice. Do you think either of these would be a good fit for my setup, or do you have any other suggestions for around the same price range? ~$400. If so, I'd love to hear them! It's also fairly important to have a number of legacy connectors. I'm a big gamer and frequently use retro systems. So I have about 2 component, 2 HDMI, and about 4-5 composite.

Thanks for any input!

-Pheria

The Monitor 70's are easy to push. If going new you are asking for an awful lot of connectivity for what you have a budget for.

Would you consider dumping 3D support?

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #3 of 3 Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd prefer not to drop the 3D support. I made the decision a little bit earlier to go ahead with the Pioneer-VSX-1021-K, as I was able to find it as low as $299.99 new!

There's a coupon code that drops it to $299.99 this weekend for newegg.com. I've attempted to provide a link, but it seems I can't do so until I've made at least three posts.

It seems to have my bases covered on connectivity, and reviews I saw tended to favor its sound quality over other, similar midrange receivers.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page