HDMI CEC (Simplink/EasyNet/Etc..) Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-24-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a new LG TV and Slim PS3. Using simplink, I am able to turn on and control the PS3 using my TV remote, which I love not needing two remotes.

I'm planning on buying a receiver that supports simplink/cec/etc.. so that I am able to control the receiver with the TV remote. And then in theory, I would still only need one remote to control the PS3 and the volume on the receiver.
My original plan was to connect the receiver and ps3 to the TV and use the audio return channel (or optical out) on the tv to output sound to the receiver. Like the following:

Reciver <*----> TV <-----PS3 *audio return channel

I found out that my TV doesn't not support the DTS codec so if I play a bluray with DTS I'm not going to get any sound to the TV or receiver. So I'm forced to plug everything through the receiver like the following:

PS3 ---> Receiver <*---> TV

My question now is, will I still be able to turn on the PS3 and control it with my TV remote? Does the CEC go through the receiver?

P.S. I have the LG 47LW5700 TV, and planning on getting the Yamaha RXV571 this boxing day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-24-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Switch your player to LPCM output and it will decode all formats.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Bitstream from a PS3 Slim is also fine for all codecs.

I don't know how much control you'll get over a PS3 using CEC.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-25-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Switch your player to LPCM output and it will decode all formats.

But it will only decide them to stereo if the PS3 is attached to the television.

For proper surround sound, attach the PS/3 to the AVR with HDMI, and attach the AVR to the TV with HDMI. Let your Yamaha decode the audio (send bitstream, not PCM). As for CEC control, Yamaha is probably the best, so it will work as well as it can. When you insert a disc into an unpowered PS/3 Slim, it should power the Yamaha and the TV, and set them to the correct input, and that alone would be a miracle and anything on top of that would be magnificent. I know my TV remote can control some basic PS/3 functions, but never enough. And your TV won't control volume on the Yamaha. There will be some annoyances like that.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-25-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 127
If the PS3 is attached to the AVR using HDMI, it doesn't matter whether the output is PCM or bitstream. You get the same quality either way.

If you want a single remote that really works, get a Harmony and a PS3 adapter.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-29-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post

But it will only decide them to stereo if the PS3 is attached to the television.

For proper surround sound, attach the PS/3 to the AVR with HDMI, and attach the AVR to the TV with HDMI. Let your Yamaha decode the audio (send bitstream, not PCM). As for CEC control, Yamaha is probably the best, so it will work as well as it can. When you insert a disc into an unpowered PS/3 Slim, it should power the Yamaha and the TV, and set them to the correct input, and that alone would be a miracle and anything on top of that would be magnificent. I know my TV remote can control some basic PS/3 functions, but never enough. And your TV won't control volume on the Yamaha. There will be some annoyances like that.

Thanks for the info! I just got my receiver and will be trying this tomorrow.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page