AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/)
-   -   Proper Audio Setup (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/1383326-proper-audio-setup.html)

SwillyLiptonDip 12-29-2011 10:33 AM

Heres my system...

Just purchased a Yamaha RX-V471. On the reciever, the available crossover points are 40, 60, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 160, or 200Hz for the subwoofer.

My speakers are the quintet iii's from klipsch, and the frequency response for the satellites are 120 hz and the center is 125 hz

My subwoofer is the sub 12 by klipsch, and the frequency response on it is 24-120 hz.

My question is, what should i set my crossover point to on the reciever, and what should the crossover be set on the sub itself.

Also, anyone with any experience with YPAO... what are the best settings to use when running the optimazation?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

jproy13 12-29-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwillyLiptonDip View Post

Heres my system...

Just purchased a Yamaha RX-V471. On the reciever, the available crossover points are 40, 60, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 160, or 200Hz for the subwoofer.

My speakers are the quintet iii's from klipsch, and the frequency response for the satellites are 120 hz and the center is 125 hz

My subwoofer is the sub 12 by klipsch, and the frequency response on it is 24-120 hz.

My question is, what should i set my crossover point to on the reciever, and what should the crossover be set on the sub itself.

Also, anyone with any experience with YPAO... what are the best settings to use when running the optimazation?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

A crossover of 120hz would be recommended for you from your receiver and just set the crossover behind the sub all the way up to bypass the internal sub crossover.

Usually, you want to set your xover a tad higher then the lowest fequency responce of your main and cntr. You do this because you do not want to "overwork" your speakers. Plus, in general even though your speakers can go as low as 120hz it would be more then likely distorded and not sound very good. A crossover of 140hz would be even better but you sub will only go as high as 120hz.

I don't want to discourage you but it seems, on paper anyway, a missmatch between your sub and speakers. I would certainly wait for other members' input as I do not have any experience with a similar setup as yours. I'm only explaining from specs on paper.

As for YPAO, I have no experience with the Yamaha so I can't comment on that.

cheers

SwillyLiptonDip 12-29-2011 11:21 AM

Thanks for your response. I Was thinking 120hz was probably my best bet also. I will wait ( per your advice) for other members to comment as well. I really appreciate you answering my question about the subs crossover point( all the way up)

jproy13 12-30-2011 10:23 AM

how's the 120hz xover working out for you? Do you find that your mains and center are overextending?