DIY wall mount jukebox - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Let me start by stating I am a beginner when it comes to all things audio so take it easy one me

I am interested in a starting DIY jukebox build using a small footprint that will be wall mounted.

I have spent some time looking over the net on similar projects. I have one question that I can't seem to get any definitive answers for so I figured I would ask.

On all the wall mounted jukebox projects (utilizing a touch screen) I have not come across any of them that use a sub-woofer. Is this because it makes no sense to try and integrate a thin profile woofer into something like this? If so, why (too costly, poor quality, etc.)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Well when you are mounting it to a wall I would imagine the cubic feet required for a subwoofer gets complicated (and heavy). The diy floor juke boxes I have seen have a 12 or 15 built into the middle but they are the size of a washing machine.

You might to look at every small box driver out there (parts express is a place to start) but you will likely need over .5cf of enclosure maybe with fiberglass you can get the weight down bit it will still take up some space. Go model some sub drivers and see what you come out with. Think of power and the size of the enclosure to be a balancing factor. Getting "bass" out of a small space is non-trivial.

Make extend the enclosure to the floor? What sort of volume do you have to work with inside the enclosure?

Have Fun!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-04-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmannth View Post

Well when you are mounting it to a wall I would imagine the cubic feet required for a subwoofer gets complicated (and heavy). The diy floor juke boxes I have seen have a 12 or 15 built into the middle but they are the size of a washing machine.

You might to look at every small box driver out there (parts express is a place to start) but you will likely need over .5cf of enclosure maybe with fiberglass you can get the weight down bit it will still take up some space. Go model some sub drivers and see what you come out with. Think of power and the size of the enclosure to be a balancing factor. Getting "bass" out of a small space is non-trivial.

Make extend the enclosure to the floor? What sort of volume do you have to work with inside the enclosure?

Have Fun!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Would mounting something like this be out of the question?

Height (inches): 5 inches
Width (inches): 13 inches
Weight: 12.7 Pounds
post #4 of 4 Old 01-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It is 12 lbs. Can you mount that on your wall?

That is a small subwoofer in a little under .5cf. I that meant for car audio? If probably has an f3 if 50-60hz range (sure it could help your juke box). Car gain is way different than house gain.

You might just build/design your own sub if you could live with that sized enclosure.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page