Help Needed for hooking Bose Speakers to a Yamaha Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am hoping someone can help me. I bought the Bose Cinemate GS Series speakers which I really like. I know that a lot of people knock bose and pretty well think they are garbage. Since then I bought a yamaha receiver (rvx-571) and as some people know, Bose tends to do things differently. Would you be able to tell me how to hook these speakers up to my receiver? All help would be much appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
There's no need for the receiver. Just use the analog (or optical) output from the TV as indicated in the Bose manual.
post #3 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I realize that I don"t need the receiver, but I would like to be able to listen to the radio and my ipod. To do this I would like the speakers to go through the receiver.
post #4 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 11:26 AM

Return the speakers and buy *anything* else.
post #5 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macriley View Post

[size="3"][font="Garamond"][color="Blue"] I know that a lot of people knock bose and pretty well think they are garbage.

If you knew this why did you buy them?
post #6 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Because personally I do like the sound and I didn"t want to have to spend $2000 on speakers. Obviously everyone is going to have different opinions. I did a lot of research on them before buying them and I knew there were haters, but there were also people that really liked them. Probably you would respond by saying that those people don't really know anything about speakers.

All that matters is I do like the sound and they are the right fit for the room that they are in.

I would really appreciate if someone could reply that would ACTUALLY be willing to help me rather than criticize my purchase.
post #7 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

You came here and said people think Bose are garbage. I cant commet on what other people think of Bose. I really dont care what other people think of them. All I can comment on is what I know for a fact. Bose is garbage.
post #8 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because personally I do like the sound and I didn"t want to have to spend $2000 on speakers. Obviously everyone is going to have different opinions. I did a lot of research on them before buying them and I knew there were haters, but there were also people that really liked them. Probably you would respond by saying that those people don't really know anything about speakers.

All that matters is I do like the sound and they are the right fit for the room that they are in.

I would really appreciate if someone could reply that would ACTUALLY be willing to help me rather than criticize my purchase.

You are experiencing the proprietary nature of the Bose systems. Some have built in amplification which preclude using with standard hifi equipment. I'm not up to date on their offerings but maybe this bump will encourge someone more knowledgeable to answer without scorn. Good luck!
post #9 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Iceman Dallas for your comments and your help.
post #10 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Does your receiver have "audio out" connectors (doubtful) or a "tape monitor" output?

There's really no "simple" solution. The Bose system is an amplified "package" system intended to be used without the need for a receiver. It's nothing more than a high(er)-end PC speaker system.
post #11 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Does your receiver have "audio out" connectors (doubtful) or a "tape monitor" output?

There's really no "simple" solution. The Bose system is an amplified "package" system intended to be used without the need for a receiver. It's nothing more than a high(er)-end PC speaker system.

Not higher end, higher priced.
post #12 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Can you verify the model # of the Yamaha unit? ANY AVR can be modified rather easily to provide pre and post aux outputs. These can function as a tape monitor output as in the old days of rel to reel and cassette or as a pre out for a separate power amp or an amped speaker system such as the Bose.
post #13 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 02:06 PM

Liked: 13
OP, don't worry too much about the plethora of folks who will complain about Bose, the vast majority of which have no idea as to the actual reasons as to why Bose 'enjoys' the reputation they have acquired, but who will mindlessly parrot the 'no highs no lows', etc., criticism and yet fail to understand the source of the issue in Dr. Bose's admonition that speaker Q had no bearing on sound quality - nor of the subsequent 'events' that transpired at the Univ of Illinois field house circa 1987 along with EV and JBL and Don Davis.

The fact is, while many may object to the name and marketing of Bose, many of their current products are not subject to the fundamental issues that crippled their earlier direct-indirect efforts.
post #14 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Wrong, the stuff is overpriced crap. Stop the nonsense about how people dont like Bose to be cool and that they made some junk at one point that hurt their reputation. While people do object to their marketing most people who know what they are talking about object that they use incredibly cheap components and sell it for a high price giving the perception that its quality stuff.

Nobody here cares what people purchase. But lets not kid ourselves here.

Also, the fact that the OP mentioned that he figured he would need to spend $2000 to get good speakers if he did not chose Bose shows why he needs a little schooling here.
post #15 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Plenty of Bose bashing elsewhere in old threads. Move along...
Why not provide helpful suggestions for the OP instead? He stated he really likes the system so, leave it at that and play nice.

The OP has an rvx-571 (as indicated in the 1st post).
The Bose manual for the system in question can be viewed online.
post #16 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

The Bose bashing accompanied by snide comments serves no beneficial purpose and is patently rude. Some of the same folks who blanketly bash Bose will also buy cables that cost as much or more than the equipment they are hooked to, cable lifters and all the other silly claptrap that is typical audiophile junk.
post #17 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins29 View Post

Wrong, the stuff is overpriced crap. Stop the nonsense about how people dont like Bose to be cool and that they made some junk at one point that hurt their reputation. While people do object to their marketing most people who know what they are talking about object that they use incredibly cheap components and sell it for a high price giving the perception that its quality stuff.

Nobody here cares what people purchase. But lets not kid ourselves here.

Also, the fact that the OP mentioned that he figured he would need to spend $2000 to get good speakers if he did not chose Bose shows why he needs a little schooling here.

Great! Then please educate the rest of the folks as to the original issues that resulted in the original Bose debate that culminated in the interesting workshop at the University Of Illinois field house.

As you are so well versed in Bose history and technology I am sure you will be glad to explain the nature of the original claims, the nature of the technical aspects of the issue, and the test results of which Dr Bose himself objected to being published.

Don't let us interfere. I am well aware of the actual issue and event, both technically and socially, and I quite delight in hearing someone so well versed and knowledgeable describe it accurately once again, as its quite an enlightening and entertaining story.

The fact is that quite a bit of Bose's non direct-reflecting technology is quite solid. And as to whether it is over-priced or not seems to be a value proposition that the market has decided is moot as Bose sales are through the roof and many other companies are envious regardless of what you or I may feel, as if it was out of line, their sales would be in the toilet as so many other 'legitimate' companies' sales are.

As I said, I am not a Bose fan, but I am tired of listening to the noise of minions who merely parrot some phrase or group-think opinion without having an actual clue as to where or what the original acoustical beef was about and who think that by doing so that it establishes them as somehow more informed or knowledgeable of things acoustic than others.

So until you can do so, your subjective cliched inuendo is as patently offensive as some of the Bose marketing efforts.
post #18 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I don't buy Bose for the following reasons:

1) They sound very thin to me.
2) They are marketed to females, as Bose feels women will advocate for a smaller footprint/presence and typically are not as concerned with sound quality as males are.
3) They spend a ton of money on their ad budget, and when you buy their products you are paying more for that than you are speaker materials/performance.
4) There are reports that they tweak their frequency response to appeal to those that our hearing centers (in our brains) are most responsive/sensitive to.
5) At a given price range, there are several-to-many products that perform better.

That said, if the OP really likes his Bose speakers, then he should be able to enjoy them just as the rest of us enjoy our non-Bose stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 07:08 PM

And now we get the psycho-drama of personal angst regarding a company and who they may or not perceive their market to be; and not one single substantial comment regarding any particular substantiated performance point or product.

And absolutely nothing of substance that pertains to the OP, his specific application or product, except to insult his taste.

Here's the bottomline: If you don't like them, don't buy them. If you like them, buy them. And if you want to criticize, come up with something more than unsubstantiated amorphous "there are reports" BS regarding tailoring a product response to cater to psycho-acoustics while taking into consideration real world concerns over the footprint of a product where some may have the unmitigated audacity to concern themselves with more than simply acoustics.

Oh yeah, and what is the mantra regarding acoustical treatment on the forum that everyone is so quick to observe is the reason some, many, and most do not fully implement treatment? It wouldn't be issues regarding issues other than acoustics would it? Naaaaaaa. So apparently those who are lined up here to whine about Bose fully appreciate and have studied acoustics, and their rooms have been fully analyzed and treated (especially considering that they are running dipoles in a small space!).

So why aren't these geniuses posting with regards to room measurements and enlightening those who happen to opt to consider issues aside from acoustics?

Funny, suddenly the silence is deafening.

And NONE of the crap has anything to do with the fact that the OP has them and is interested in installing them to his greatest advantage.

But my the angst is strong here on the 'anything but science' forum. So much so that I am surprised that Oprah or Dr. Oz don't advertise on this site.

...And what is sadder is that amongst the asinine displays of emotion that no one is aware of the fundamental erroneous assertion underlying the original issue of Amar Bose's erroneous contention regarding the role of Q and the measured tests that resulted from the workshop that Amar tried to suppress. But why mention that, as that bit of social politics is actually founded upon and actually pertains to acoustics.
post #20 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Blah, blah, blah....give it a rest, man. Most of us have heard Bose plenty of times and simply DON'T LIKE THEM. That's all the reason we need, but you insist on wanting to sound more enlightened than everyone else here, so go on with your crusade.

post #21 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins29 View Post

You came here and said people think Bose are garbage. I cant commet on what other people think of Bose. I really dont care what other people think of them. All I can comment on is what I know for a fact. Bose is garbage.

Aside from the fact that you cannot spell, how about presenting "facts" supporting a coherent case to support your claim - in a thread of your own - instead of hijacking the thread of another and denigrating the OP who came here asking for assistance, and not your asinine opinions devoid of anything remotely related to acoustics?
post #22 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

"junk.jpg" lol

post #23 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:

Would you be able to tell me how to hook these speakers up to my receiver?

Easy.

- Connect all your devices (iPod, disc player, etc) using their stereo analogue outputs (red & white connectors) to the stereo analogue inputs on your receiver. Your Yamaha has four of these inputs available, three on the back panel (AV5, AV6, and AUDIO) and one on the front panel (VIDEO AUX).

- Connect the AV OUT jacks (also red & white connectors) from the back of your receiver to the ANALOG IN on the Bose interface module. You can now treat your receiver as a source selector (lets you switch between different sources). The receiver sends a fixed line level signal to the Bose. Adjust the volume using the Bose remote.

Done.

Sanjay
post #24 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
$800 for proprietary plastic boxes. That dragonfyr sure gives great advice, and knows a quality product when he sees it!
post #25 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

The receiver sends a fixed line level signal to the Bose. Adjust the volume using the Bose remote.

Done.

I missed that the Yamaha had fixed audio outputs. That should work, but if he's only using it as a source selector, why not get a source selector:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-4032...997084&sr=1-12
post #26 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

if he's only using it as a source selector, why not get a source selector

Because he already has the receiver AND wants to listen to radio (no radio built into the source selector you linked to).

Sanjay
post #27 of 35 Old 01-08-2012, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I have to agree with Dragonfyr. The OP never asked for anyone's opinion s to the Bose system. he clearly explained that he liked it. That should have be the end of the discussion as to everyone's personal feelings about Bose. There are a LOT of folks who like Bose INCLUDING the direct/reflecting 901s.
The ONLY question the OP raised was that of technical advice on hook up. That's all! The editorials should have been saved for some other thread/discussion. (Actually when correctly setup in the right acoustic placement, then 901s do sound pretty damn good!)

Arguing about Bose with someone who likes what he hears is like arguing about GM vs Dodge vs Ford in a blanket assessment. I had a Dodge van that ran better and longer than any other brand of personal vehicle as far as durability and longevity are concerned. (500,000+ miles on the original engine) Others have had better or worse experiences. So be it.

I looked at the published specs on the AVR and the only pre out I saw was for a sub. That is why I suggested the possibility of a small and simple mod to add pre or post fade outputs. I have done this on numerous systems as well as adding balancing transformers.
post #28 of 35 Old 01-08-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Easy.

- Connect all your devices (iPod, disc player, etc) using their stereo analogue outputs (red & white connectors) to the stereo analogue inputs on your receiver. Your Yamaha has four of these inputs available, three on the back panel (AV5, AV6, and AUDIO) and one on the front panel (VIDEO AUX).

- Connect the AV OUT jacks (also red & white connectors) from the back of your receiver to the ANALOG IN on the Bose interface module. You can now treat your receiver as a source selector (lets you switch between different sources). The receiver sends a fixed line level signal to the Bose. Adjust the volume using the Bose remote.

Done.

In case the OP didn't see this, I'll bump the answer

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #29 of 35 Old 01-08-2012, 07:00 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
To connect receiver to line level inputes, he doesn't need any mod, but have to add level converters like these: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RbLzDlY...onverters.html
post #30 of 35 Old 01-08-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

He doesn't need a converter. Output from receiver is line level, input to the Cinemate module is line level.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page