Driving two 5.1 setups off of one receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out what options I have for running 5.1 in two rooms (not simultaneously) without having to run two receivers, etc...

I have a home theater with a 5.1 setup but I'm working on setting up the living room and would like to cut down on cost by using the same receiver, PS3, media pc etc... As far as video goes, I think an active HDMI to Cat5 splitter off the receiver's HDMI out to the two TVs will take care of that. The one thing I can't quite nail down is how to power the second set of 5.1 speakers using the same receiver as the theater room.

Right now I have a VSX819 Pioneer but the speaker B only outputs to stereo. So I know I need to get rid of this receiver (I'll move it to the bedroom) but rather than buy two receivers for the theater and the living room, is there a receiver out there that does multi zone with 5.1 on each zone? I guess it doesn't need to be more channels, just have more speaker outputs that are switched to. Or maybe there is an alternative solution?

The goal is to use an IR repeater in the living room to control everything in the theater room so a manual speaker switch is probably not optimal.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

I just realized another option might be using the pre-outs (again, probably need a new receiver) if they are in fact assigned to zone 2. The zone 2 would have to support 6 channels including the sub. In which case I would just need an amp/amps. Thoughts vs the above?

I'm starting to think maybe I'll need a separate receiver for the living room...
post #3 of 6 Old 01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
There are several options but by the time you jump through all the hoops to pull wires and install switching devices, remote repeaters, and all that you'd probably be ahead to just buy a cheapie AVR. Especially since it sounds like you'll need a new AVR anyway...

My 0.000001 cents - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4 of 6 Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Quote:

is there a receiver out there that does multi zone with 5.1 on each zone?

Not that I’m aware of.

Quote:

I just realized another option might be using the pre-outs (again, probably need a new receiver) if they are in fact assigned to zone 2. The zone 2 would have to support 6 channels including the sub. In which case I would just need an amp/amps. Thoughts vs the above?

That could work, but some receivers shut off power to their speaker outputs when you plug into the pre-outs of those channels. On top of that, you would have calibration and set-up issues between the two rooms. For instance, if the room the receiver is in has the rear speakers further from the seating than the other room, you won’t have the correct delay setting in the second room. You could also have the same issue with the level-setting calibration.

Your best bet will probably be to use two receivers and split the outputs of your sources to feed both of them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-18-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, it is starting to like like a second receiver will be the best idea. I suppose I could run a powered hdmi to cat5 splitter off of my media pc and my PS3 so that I can run those devices downstairs to the livingroom receiver's hdmi ins once I get it. I'm fairly certain that the PS3 remote would work from downstairs. For the PC I think I can use a Logitech wireless app on my phone to control it from downstairs.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The top two models in the Pioneer AVR lineup can work like this as they have memories for level, eq, distances that you can swap between via a remote. They also have pre outs so you can use a outboard multichannel power amp for the 2nd area. Obviously you can't have both areas playing at the same time.

. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page