needs surround placement advice (pics) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-19-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to most of this, but I recently invested in some entry level hardware and hoping I can get some advice setting it up. I have a 5.1 set and a pair of floor standing speakers. I was wondering I should even use all 7 speakers or just 5 according to the way my room is set up.

My main concern is whether I should use all 4 or just 2 surround speakers. Most 7.1 setup I found suggests that I should have 2 behind and 2 on the side, but my couch(1) is flushed against the back wall and moving the couches closer to the tv isn't an option, I'd like to preserve as much room as possible. Sucks, but the room has to function for many other things not just a home theater.

If I was to keep the couches where they are, should I still put up those middle surround speakers or should I just use 2 surround and keep 2 as back up?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-19-2012, 04:36 PM

Liked: 11
It would be a 5.1 for me.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Waited all day for the one opinion lol. Anyone else?
post #4 of 16 Old 01-19-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
The second couch won't enjoy the 7.1 as much as the couch 1 folks but just give it a shot to see how it sounds.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #5 of 16 Old 01-19-2012, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

The only thing is, if I try it, then I must stick to it or else I'd have to hear lectures on why I drilled holes in the wood grain panels for no reason lol. Thats why I was seeking advice on whether it is worth it or not to have the middle speakers.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-20-2012, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Or I just thought of something, don't know if its a good idea or not. Instead of those two in the middle, put two speakers in each of the rear. Two facing sideways towards couch 1, and the other two angled facing just in front of couch 1, closer to the middle of the room?
post #7 of 16 Old 01-20-2012, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I'd stick with 5.1 as well and not worry about couch #2.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

what about the front right speaker? Is it okay there? its on a raised platform that is part of the fireplace. I can also have it stand on the other end next to the tv stand.

If I nudge the stand and the front left speaker, I should be able to fit it next to the stand on the floor, but the whole front would be very off centered.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
The thing is 5.1 has side surrounds not rear surrounds.... So the speakers you are questioning if they should be there or not are actually the ones that would be there no matter if you have 5.1 or 7.1.

That said though, if the speakers you have at the rear of the room point towards couch one then that is fine for 5.1 but if they point front towards the tv that is not what you want.

Check out dolby.com, dts.com, and thx.com for placement recommendations.

Shawn
post #10 of 16 Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
With that one speaker in the fireplace, I'd say it's a definite 4.1 system... biggrin.gif
post #11 of 16 Old 11-19-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Yeah, your front L/R speakers should be equidistant from your center speaker, creating an equilateral triangle to the listening position....and they need to be on the same plane. I'm assuming the one you have off-center in the fireplace is raised higher than your left speaker.

Does you AVR have the ability to do front height or wide speakers? If so, this is what I would do instead of rear surrounds. If not, just skip the rear surrounds....they won't sound very good with the couch against the back wall.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzymez View Post

I am new to most of this, but I recently invested in some entry level hardware and hoping I can get some advice setting it up. I have a 5.1 set and a pair of floor standing speakers. I was wondering I should even use all 7 speakers or just 5 according to the way my room is set up.

My main concern is whether I should use all 4 or just 2 surround speakers. Most 7.1 setup I found suggests that I should have 2 behind and 2 on the side, but my couch(1) is flushed against the back wall and moving the couches closer to the tv isn't an option, I'd like to preserve as much room as possible. Sucks, but the room has to function for many other things not just a home theater.

If I was to keep the couches where they are, should I still put up those middle surround speakers or should I just use 2 surround and keep 2 as back up?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you can picture your room with no furniture, set up the system as 5.1 first, then bring in the furniture, doing your best to optimize as many seats as possible. Use one of your reference discs to test the panning of sounds from one speaker to another, while trying out all of the seats. Not every seat will be ideal. When I am showing someone one of my favorite clips, I make them sit in the sweet spot.

Espo77
post #13 of 16 Old 11-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 88
As previously mentioned, the surround speakers should be on the side walls facing each other and should be directly to the side or sightly behind (which you don't have room for). Many with this setup like the sound best when the surround speakers are up high, like around 6 feet, angled down slightly so the speakers point to a spot in space above the primary listening position. You don't want to point them directly at your ears as you are wanting an "indirect" sound from the surround speakers.

Also, it is very unlikely that the back corner of the room will be the ideal spot for the sub - corners usually create the most room reinforcement and you will get a lot of "hot" and "cold" spots where the bass is doubling up or cancelling completely because of standing wave reinforcement and cancellation.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #14 of 16 Old 11-21-2013, 07:32 PM

i Would stick with 5.1 but would add front height speakers to make the sound feel more spacious and you dont have to worry about couch 2 for the front height speakers.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post

As previously mentioned, the surround speakers should be on the side walls facing each other and should be directly to the side or sightly behind (which you don't have room for). Many with this setup like the sound best when the surround speakers are up high, like around 6 feet, angled down slightly so the speakers point to a spot in space above the primary listening position. You don't want to point them directly at your ears as you are wanting an "indirect" sound from the surround speakers.

Also, it is very unlikely that the back corner of the room will be the ideal spot for the sub - corners usually create the most room reinforcement and you will get a lot of "hot" and "cold" spots where the bass is doubling up or cancelling completely because of standing wave reinforcement and cancellation.

Can't speak for all, but HSU owners manual states that corner placement is a good place for their subwoofer.

Espo77
post #16 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Can't speak for all, but HSU owners manual states that corner placement is a good place for their subwoofer.

I guess that is a gross oversimplification on my part, but is also from personal experience - I have gotten more bass reinforcement AND more cancellation when I have tried corner placement (depending where in the room I take measurements) WITH MY SUBS now and in the past. I don't really understand why, but obviously this isn't true for all subs. I know a bit about the electronics side of AV equipment, but need to learn more about speaker design.

Now that you mention it, I have seen that at other speaker company sites as well - this quote is from the Vandersteen web site:

Subwoofers, like all audio components, should be used as they were designed to be used. This requires some additional explanation.

Subwoofers designed with relatively high “Q” may sound boomy when positioned in a corner. Subwoofers designed with low “Q” may require corner placement in order to provide flat bass response. Vandersteen subwoofers have adjustable “Q” to allow versatility of placement.

The moral of this story is probably to follow your manufacturer's suggested sub placement.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page