AVS Forum banner

Looking at REW

932 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  dknightd 
#1 ·
I'm looking at getting the REW or something else to measure my room. Wondering if anyone in San Jose has one or the bay area. I would like to see it in action and understand how this stuff works before I buy thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm in Marin, you are welcome to come over and check it out. I can also show you the xtz room analyzer too.

#6 ·
What is it that you need to "look at"?

Simply looking at the acquisition of plots will not explain their nature or use The various responses and their function is independent of the platform as they are fundamental to acoustical physics.

The only significant variable is the inclusion of various responses supported and the various value added bells and whistles that may be implemented by each 'manufacturer' in support of the various response convolutions.

And the only additional investment (aside from the knowledge regarding the use and interpretation of the acoustic principles illustrated by the various measured responses) is of a 2 channel pre-amp and a mic - both of which can be sourced in the form of a $49 USB Dual USB Pre and a $39-$49 Dayton EMM-6 or a Behringer ECM8000 mic with calibration file.

And these items are required for any software package.

They may be included in any of the more expensive, lower ROI, all in one packages that offer less functionality than the various separate software packages that start with REW (free) on the low end, and progress upwards to ARTA (a best buy featuring the best ROI at 79 Euros), Praxis, SMAART (oriented primarily to live sound), WaveCapture family of products, TEF and EASERA.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil /forum/post/21541246

I would like to learn how to read the responses and what it it's telling me that's all.

You might instead start with a book such as Sound System Engineering that covers many measurements and also utilizes them throughout the book to illustrate various behaviors.

As far as 'what they are', you might want to take a look at the downloadable user manual for ARTA or for Easera.

But as each measurement can be used for a plethora of applications, do not expect any one guide to tell you 'what it means' any more than a manual tells you specifically for what uses a hammer may be employed.

Simply having a collection of tools is NOT a substitute for understanding what one is looking at, and then selecting the proper tool to examine the appropriate aspect of said behavior and interpreting its behavior in context with the overall behavior...

In other words, simply looking at some responses is not alone sufficient to teach you their use and meaning.

On the other hand, if you would like to PM me, we can speak by voice over IM or phone and I would be glad to describe a few typical procedures, as well as the frequently used tools, and how they are used and some of the behaviors for which they can be used to gain insight.

#9 ·
My additions to what others have posted.

1) Using the tools, getting all the hardware set-up and working:

Besides the resources on HTS/other sites, a recent attempt was made by member "omegaslast" , his thread I made a dummy's guide on setting up REW. feedback?? .

It's nice to have hardware set-up good to go as second nature, so there is no question to the data integrity.

It does NOT get into the specific acoustic measurements taken (the why's, and how to judge). Some of the comments to that thread start that, but I won't comment here.

2) Understanding the tools:

This is the classic "chicken and egg".

My take: get your basic education to the graphs/charts, what they mean.

How to read and interpret them.

The books mentioned and online knowledge is a start.

Then, "jump into it"! start out with your low freq modal/SBIR measurements, understand those - Waterfall charts, and plan/study what corrective action may be needed, etc.

Try to connect the dots between book knowledge and real world, give it time, and ask Q's.

Then move onto your main L/C/R soundstage analysis via ETC and plan/study what corrective action may be needed, etc. Again, ask Q's.

Form another post.

Above all....have fun with it!

Take the approach as a learner and gain knowledge and improvements with your listening room.

#10 ·
The cost of admission is pretty small if you already have a PC with an audio input jack. Just add a radioshack SPL meter, and a cable. If you get into it further you might want to upgrade the Mic. But the radioshack SPL meter will give you useful results, and might be handy to have around for other purposes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.