Any1 using 4 side spkrs + rears? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I will be building a new HT later this year and have a question regarding dual surround speakers. How would one calibrate those with a RCVR which has Audyssey MultiEQ XT (Denon AVR-4810CI)? Would having a pair of speakers on the sides present a problem for the AVR when it tries to calibrate the system? The room will be ~ 28-30' long and have two rows of seating.

Just for clarification, it will be an 11.1 setup with Front LCR, Front H & W, two rear surrounds and "4" sides surrounds.

Thanks.

*DIY ConcreteBunker Rustic Dream Build w/11' screen, 11.2chnl, 8x18" IB subs, 28.8KW*
GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | DaLite 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 & FP-10000Q | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
April 2015 HToM <> SuperCharged 10 second II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
You do realize that the Denon 4810 is a 9.3 receiver right??? It CAN NOT do 11.1 all you will be able to do is have an 11.1 setup and chose which 2 speakers not to use.

And as far as 4 side surrounds, I would advise against it. I would just setup the speakers according to whatever row of seating is the main listening position. If you have 4 side surrounds you would either have to wire them in series which will double the impedence or wire them in parallel which will cut the impedence in half. Neither of which is favorable in my opinion.

Shawn
post #3 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

You do realize that the Denon 4810 is a 9.3 receiver right???

Sure, I know that...I own the 4810 ;-)

It can only provide power for 9 chnls (which I currently have running) but you can send the extra 2 chnls to an external amp for a full 11 chnl setup; hence 11.1 (will be running eight IB318's in front wall in IB config off single FP14000 amp...so .1).

*DIY ConcreteBunker Rustic Dream Build w/11' screen, 11.2chnl, 8x18" IB subs, 28.8KW*
GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | DaLite 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 & FP-10000Q | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post

I will be building a new HT later this year and have a question regarding dual surround speakers. How would one calibrate those with a RCVR which has Audyssey MultiEQ XT (Denon AVR-4810CI)? Would having a pair of speakers on the sides present a problem for the AVR when it tries to calibrate the system? The room will be ~ 28-30' long and have two rows of seating.

Just for clarification, it will be an 11.1 setup with Front LCR, Front H & W, two rear surrounds and "4" sides surrounds.

I currently have six surround speakers for my *two* surround channels, 3 for each channel, placed along the side wall and back wall ("fanned out" at equal angles as seen from the main listening position, starting with the first surround slightly in front of you on the side wall and the others spanning all the way to behind you, if you understand what I mean). Mine are specifically designed for beeing placed that way (and hooked up in parallell impedance wise).

The main idea is to create a diffuse, "hard to locate" ambient sound field actually surrounding you, just like in a full scale theatre using multiple surround speakers per channel. A friend of mine has a simiar setup with 12 surround speakers (four surround speakers per surround channel and two for each rear surround channel) and it is an *amazing* setup! There is no "surround speaker localization" issues whatsoever of ambient sound, but it still somehow works exceptionally well in creating an illusion of "directivity" sounds that demand more "pinpoint" localization from the rear channels.

In my experience there is no difference in the precision of autocalibrating a "cluster speaker" setup compared to a "1 speaker per channel" surround channel setup. I got a pretty modest Marantz 6006 and it can autocalibrate my system just fine. It settles for the mean distance between the different sound sources. My friend use an Integra 80.3 and it does his calibration OK (2 rear, 4 surround, 2 front highs, L-C-R and an ungodly number of subs).

post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevi View Post

I currently have six surround speakers for my *two* surround channels, 3 for each channel, placed along the side wall and back wall ("fanned out" at equal angles as seen from the main listening position, starting with the first surround slightly in front of you on the side wall and the others spanning all the way to behind you, if you understand what I mean). Mine are specifically designed for beeing placed that way (and hooked up in parallell impedance wise).

The main idea is to create a diffuse, "hard to locate" ambient sound field actually surrounding you, just like in a full scale theatre using multiple surround speakers per channel. A friend of mine has a simiar setup with 12 surround speakers (four surround speakers per surround channel and two for each rear surround channel) and it is an *amazing* setup! There is no "surround speaker localization" issues whatsoever of ambient sound, but it still somehow works exceptionally well in creating an illusion of "directivity" sounds that demand more "pinpoint" localization from the rear channels.

In my experience there is no difference in the precision of autocalibrating a "cluster speaker" setup compared to a "1 speaker per channel" surround channel setup. I got a pretty modest Marantz 6006 and it can autocalibrate my system just fine. It settles for the mean distance between the different sound sources. My friend use an Integra 80.3 and it does his calibration OK (2 rear, 4 surround, 2 front highs, L-C-R and an ungodly number of subs).

Wow.

THANKS hevi ! That's what I was looking for. Would you happen to have any pics, or links to pics of you and your friends HT's ??

post #6 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post

Wow.

THANKS hevi ! That's what I was looking for. Would you happen to have any pics, or links to pics of you and your friends HT's ??

Well, I don't have any pics of my setup simply because I didn't think of photographing it, and at the moment, I have all my HT gear stored away(since I'm in the process of moving up a notch from a condo and into a house. With a basement. With apropriate space for my HT. Kaaaaching!).

However, I found a couple pics of the gear I and my friend use on "ye ol´ internet". I have to warn you, they are quite peculiar looking designs and are specifically designed to be used as surround speakers in clusters of 3 or more per channel. They look like cheap DIY junk, I know (but they are not!). In "clusters" they hands down deliver the most convinsing, effortless surround sound I've ever experienced up to date.

The speaker itself is a fairly tiny (two litre) wide dispersion design optimized to create a diffuse surround sound field. As you can see in the pics the speakers are placed at different heights from the cieling to have the cieling reflexes come in at different delays to further diffuse the sound field.

The setup in the pic I would assume (judging the geometry of the speaker placement) use four Ino Audio A2 surrounds per "surround channel" and one A2 per "rear surround" channel.

regards,

H
LL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page