How to wire up Acoustic Research S108PS Subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-28-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I have a client I do computer work for an occasionally they ask for me to assist in their audio/video installations. The client pulled out of his basement an Acoustic Research S108PS sub woofer. The current configuration includes a set of interconnects running from the Denon receiver to the back of the S108PS where it says "Low Level In". When viewing Satellite/Blu-ray the left/right speakers work correctly (although I admittedly plugged them incorrect after I took pictures of the receiver. ) but there is zero bass.

I am providing 3 links. The first is the back of the AR S108PS and the second two are the Denon receiver.

http://www.stahrsandstrypes.com/Media/Denon1.jpg
http://www.stahrsandstrypes.com/Media/Denon2.jpg
http://www.stahrsandstrypes.com/Media/ARS108PS.jpg

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-28-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenviking View Post

The current configuration includes a set of interconnects running from the Denon receiver to the back of the S108PS where it says "Low Level In". When viewing Satellite/Blu-ray the left/right speakers work correctly (although I admittedly plugged them incorrect after I took pictures of the receiver. ) but there is zero bass.

First, confirm the subwoofer works. Try the finger test. Connect a stereo RCA cable into the low level inputs, and touch the tip of one of the plugs with you finger. It should buzz from either of L or R plug. If not, something wrong.

Assuming that's good, confirm how the AVR is connected and configured.

Run that same RCA cable to the sub out on the rear of the AVR (only one input needs to be connected as you proved earlier). Go to the speaker setup menu and tell it a sub is present. Run the internal test tones, and you should hear sound step thru every speaker. Then play music and adjust the sub to taste.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Roger,

I too thought I should receive "ground" noise from the RCA's but didn't. I do this test often with my guitar . I was plugged into the low-level in when i did not hear any noise. That's what lead me to believe maybe those inputs are not the correct ones. If I run speaker wire into the speaker clips and try this test I should receive ground hum correct? I told the client that I believe what I set up was correct (except or the FL and FR being plugged into the RL RR outputs) and that something might be wrong with the sub.

I have looked online for a manual for that damn sub but came up empty.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenviking View Post

I too thought I should receive "ground" noise from the RCA's but didn't.

And I assume you had the sub's volume control turned up?

Quote:

I do this test often with my guitar . I was plugged into the low-level in when i did not hear any noise. That's what lead me to believe maybe those inputs are not the correct ones.

They (the RCA jacks) are the correct ones for line level signals.

Quote:

If I run speaker wire into the speaker clips and try this test I should receive ground hum correct?

Much less likely, because there is a resistor divider to scale the amp's level back down to preamp level. Probably 30 dB atten, and a lower impedance, too, so not as easy for the finger to impart hum.

Quote:

I told the client that I believe what I set up was correct (except or the FL and FR being plugged into the RL RR outputs) and that something might be wrong with the sub.

Would not be the first time.

There are some manuals of "cousin" models here. The ARPR1010 has similar looking cosmetics anyway.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

confirm how the AVR is connected and configured.

That was what I was thinking. If the avr was in use without the sub or setup without the sub, then the sub output might be turned off.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page