7.1 Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I've read through the sticky and search for placement of 5.1 and 7.1 speakers in a living room with more than just 1 couch facing the TV and have not found much. Attached is a crude image of the living room, is my estimated speaker placement alright?

I'll work on whether Bipole/Dipole/monopole is right for this room later as long as I can get working on dragging the wires through the walls, haha.

Thanks! - John
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 08:48 AM

Liked: 18
I'm assuming your center is under your TV? I would recommend separating the rears a little more than that.

Ignorance is a choice
post #3 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
+1....... Plus I don't know if you can but an across the corner TV setup is the worst possible layout for HT, can you rearrange your room???

Shawn
post #4 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I had a similar setup when I had an apartment. If you put the sub behind the tv it will sound good in every seat. I would move the surrounds closer together (maybe in the middle of each couch at most). Leave the surround backs. Just my opinion.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #5 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

haha yeah the center is under the TV.

Thanks for the input. I did read in a few other threads that 5.1 might be the way to go, as 7.1 can be a little more picky in room layout. Removing the rear's and sliding each surround behind the couch was my original thought.

My other thought was to slide the surrounds slightly towards the back of the room and use Bi-poles. one side of each speaker would bounce the sound off the walls and the other behind most of the seated people. Would that work?
post #6 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Liked: 10
I've found that 5.1 provides a better surround effect than 7.1. I have a similar setup to yours (TV in corner) and it's not bad, as ppl make it sound. I've experimented with different 7.1 vs 5.1 setups, and ended up using 5.1 with fronts and surrounds forming an "X," or a square around me at 90 degree angles. This creates a a great sense of envelopment untouchable by any 7.1 setup I've heard. 7.1 pulls the "surround stage" (my made-up term vs. soundstage) heavily to the front, with support information from the sides, and almost nothing from the rear. Most soundtracks are still 5.1, and although 7.1 soundtracks are growing in number, I've rarely heard more than a relative whisper coming from those rear surround channels.

My $0.02 is to go with 5.1, strive for 90 degree placement and then play with time delays if your receiver/processor allows. Which reminds me, I'll need to change my signature someday.

Pioneer | Cambridge Audio | Dynaudio | Identical + equidistant 5.0 | KISS

post #7 of 10 Old 02-07-2012, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm leaning that way, possibly trying out the bipoles once the wiring is done to see if that helps any.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 PM

Re: bi/dipoles vs. monopoles for surrounds:
There are many opinions on this, and as far as I'm concerned the choice came down to which of 2 paths to follow.

1) emulate a movie theater environment with bi/dipoles, emulating the multiple surround speakers lining your typical venue; after all, it's called home theater for a reason...

2) emulate the mixing studio, trying to recreate what the sound engineer himself heard while he performed his magic - often listening to identical speakers all around. A more purist approach, using monopoles to get into the head of the sound engineers.

For what it's worth, I take the Dolby, DTS and THX speaker placement guidelines with a grain of salt. They may work for the "typical or average" setup, but if you have flexibility of placement, better results are to be had by experimenting. I tried all of their 5.1 and 7.1 recommendations and moved on.

post #9 of 10 Old 02-07-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Just a quick note that the diagonal layout isn't evil. And turning it square isn't necessarily better. In fact, other than placement issues this arrangement can have some sonic advantages, not the least of which is lack of sidewall reflections without the need for absorption and thus preserving energy in the room. Some people pay lots of money to have a room built with splayed walls.

post #10 of 10 Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post

Just a quick note that the diagonal layout isn't evil. And turning it square isn't necessarily better. In fact, other than placement issues this arrangement can have some sonic advantages, not the least of which is lack of sidewall reflections without the need for absorption and thus preserving energy in the room. Some people pay lots of money to have a room built with splayed walls.

Agreed. OP, have a look at the second half of this page and rest assured your setup is fine the way it is. The writer finds that facing a corner, rather than a wall, has its advantages.

http://www.decware.com/paper14.htm

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page