Bookshelf vs floorstanding speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Say I'm comparing 2 speakers, 1 bookshelf and 1 floorstanding. Both speakers use the exact same parts, just the floorstanding speaker has 3 more midrange drivers (the SVS SBS-02 and STS-02 comes to mind).

If I don't care about high SPL or sensitivity, is there any sound quality advantage for the floorstanding speaker compared to the bookshelf?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-11-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Very difficult to answer. Multiple midrange drivers will lower distortion products across the board, especially at higher spl. They may however have worse dispersion characteristics than a single midrange. It is a compromise, and which way is best for you is very dependent on both the specific designs in question and your listening habits and environment. Low spl favors a single driver but that by no means is a guarantee that it will be the best choice between any two models under consideration.

post #3 of 9 Old 02-11-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Depends on the driver size, a bookshelves coupled with high-end subwoofers can sound much better than full-ranged speakers.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-11-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post

Depends on the driver size, a bookshelves coupled with high-end subwoofers can sound much better than full-ranged speakers.

How would you characterize a "high end" subwoofer? Can you give an example of one?

Thanks!

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-11-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

How would you characterize a "high end" subwoofer? Can you give an example of one?

Thanks!

Check subwoofers forum. there are many good subwoofers, but my recommendation would be seaton designs and you want to have more than 1 subwoofer.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

Say I'm comparing 2 speakers, 1 bookshelf and 1 floorstanding. Both speakers use the exact same parts, just the floorstanding speaker has 3 more midrange drivers (the SVS SBS-02 and STS-02 comes to mind).

If I don't care about high SPL or sensitivity, is there any sound quality advantage for the floorstanding speaker compared to the bookshelf?

All other things being equal or equally optimized, speakers that displace more volume can have better bass extension, more dynamic range or a combination of the two. Sensitivity is also relevant, but you excluded it from the discussion, right?

The elevation of the speaker drivers above the floor can have a profound effect on sound quality. By controlling that distance, a skilled designer can have more control over how the loudspeaker system sounds when installed by the end user.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

..........the floorstanding speaker has 3 more midrange drivers (the SVS SBS-02 and STS-02 comes to mind).

They're not midrange drivers, btw. They're woofers. You can call them "midwoofers" if you'd like, which seems to be trendy, nowadays.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #8 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

They're not midrange drivers, btw. They're woofers. You can call them "midwoofers" if you'd like, which seems to be trendy, nowadays.

That was my thoughts. There is generally only 1 midrange driver, other than an MTM design. And that depends on how low the midrange drivers go, like into the mid-bass range. There is one speaker model, that has 3 drivers of the same size, but one is supposed to be midrange/mid-bass, while the other 2 are bass drivers.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-13-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

Thanks!

A truly high end subwoofer is so large that it can't be an off-the-shelf item. It has to be built into the room it serves.

This guy's home stereo, which he has written quite a bit about:

http://www.nousaine.com/

On the scale of high end subwoofers that I've heard, his is about a 6 or a 7 on a 10 point scale. The others aren't so well documented.

If you have a really good subwoofer, when played really loud it will still sound clean, but the bass will modulate the human voice so that it sounds like everybody in the room is gargling while they are speaking.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page