need recommendations for a PA system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
looking for a PA system for an event, rooms about 1200 sq ft and will be 150-200 people attending, no music, just speeches
have no clue on PA systems, so can someone help me out with some popular choices? budget is $500 but can be stretched if necessary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post

looking for a PA system for an event, rooms about 1200 sq ft and will be 150-200 people attending, no music, just speeches
have no clue on PA systems, so can someone help me out with some popular choices? budget is $500 but can be stretched if necessary

This is more of a home audio forum, but luckily I have knowledge on pro audio equipment being a DJ. What do you have to buy with 500 bucks? Just speakers, speakers and microphone, mixer also? Try DJforums if you want some more recommendations. $500 is a bit tough for a pair of speakers. Look at brands like JBL, EV, QSC RCF for pro audio speakers. They all make great speakers and have speakers ranging over a pretty wide price range for PA.

For your budget, the closest thing to your price that will give you the most bang for your buck would be the RCF ART-312A's. Check them out at this link

http://www.proaudiostar.com/live-sou...aker.html#info

Pro audio star is good, give them a call and they'll almost certainly give you a discount. They just have to advertise MSRP prices on their website.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

What all is this to include? Speakers? amps? mixer? mics? cables? stands? are wireless mics needed? How close will the talkers be to the mics?

What is the layout? ie where you need to cover? Where can you put the speakers? Is this a portable or installed system? How high can you put the speakers? and so forth.

More details are needed before any recommendations can be offered.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #4 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 05:41 PM

Liked: 32
Example of packaged PA systems http://www.pssl.com/Top-Packaged-PA-Systems/Search?q=pa This is more of what you would be looking for. The JBL is a good one that will work, add to that a decent wireless mic setup.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 PM

Liked: 22
I was thinking non-big brand name, like http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...DSP-/555-15145
Maybe still have money for a podium

cheers,

AJ
post #6 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:

I do these kind of events several times a year. I presume you want a portable system, and you are doing some kind of a travelling show.

How many microphones? Does the event require wireless microphone(s)?

These are not big shows you that are putting on. The room is maybe 40 x 30.

How high is the ceiling? Are you working on the floor or from some kind of platform?

For speakers, I'd recommend a pair of EV ZX-1s. For amplifier, a Crown XTi 1000 or 2000. For mic mixer, something from Behringer with enough mic inputs. For microphones it could be as simple as one or more Shure SM-59s.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA View Post

I was thinking non-big brand name, like http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...DSP-/555-15145
Maybe still have money for a podium

Looks familiar. a friend of mine may have one. If so 've worked with it. It has been a reliable performer for him. I would not push this particular system much past 100-120 people.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Is this a one time event or something that will be repeated several times (equipment wise) ?

Kevin
post #9 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post

Is this a one time event or something that will be repeated several times (equipment wise) ?

Good point - 1 time event usually means looking up a good AV rental house.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

If it's a one time thing, definitely rent
post #11 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 206
$500?

No question, rent. Hire a pro sound contractor in your area. Allow them to perform the load in, setup, tune, etc, then load out....my 2 cents. They'll have a better idea of the items you may need,....this is what they do. You can get a state of the art Meyer based system, full load in/out, for this price in my area.

Then, if this is a multi-time event, you'll have a better idea of what you're getting into.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #12 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

I agree with FOH. But I doubt you need a meyer sound set up if there's just gonna be speeches etc. You just need something where everyone will be heard clearly, which isn't too difficault. If its high energy music you need then your sound system needs would certainly change
post #13 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
For traveling shows or similar one time events of that particular audience size, the easiest system to use is the Anchor Audio "Liberty" series.This is the system the White House has used for many years. They are powerful, self contained with amp, speaker and wireless mic and/or CD/MP3 player. They can be daisy chained and come with a very handy tripod pocket. They are also available frequently in a battery powered mode. These are perfect for your anticipated audience size and are available across the country from most AV rental houses.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfyr View Post

Heck, for that venue and speeches, just find a pair of Klipsch LaScalas: stack, invert and splay them sufficient for coverage; and use a Crown Amp and a small mixer with a couple of mics.

Otherwise rent a similar system.

If you have or know of a pair of Klipsch LaScalas for $500 or less do let me know.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-21-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

If you have or know of a pair of Klipsch LaScalas for $500 or less do let me know.

LOL!

At 175 pounds per speaker, we know for sure that the guy who recommended them has never actually moved and set up a portable PA system.

That Anchor Audio system up in the $3k range no longer looks even slightly gold-plated in comparison.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 206
If rental is un-necessary, or unwanted, you could go with a powered, two way Mackie, on a tripod,...feed it with an good, inexpensive vocal mic. You'd need one XLR cable as long needed for the application,..likely 50', and if you want to double up the entire system with two powered speakers, the entire thing can be easily scaled up with a thru-put output on the first speaker to the second, which requires another 50' XLR.

You'll need a mic stand, found this great bargain on a Shure SM58 mic, mic stand, and 20' cable. This isn't a typical weighted mic stand, however it'd be fine,...this appears to be quite a deal, as the SM58 (the world standard vocal mic) is typically $99 alone.

There are cheaper powered two ways, but none that I'm familiar with that I'd recommend. Go to your local pro audio dealer and discuss your needs, you'll be taken care of.

Good luck

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #17 of 19 Old 02-21-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

If rental is un-necessary, or unwanted, you could go with a powered, two way Mackie, on a tripod,...feed it with an good, inexpensive vocal mic. You'd need one XLR cable as long needed for the application,..likely 50', and if you want to double up the entire system with two powered speakers, the entire thing can be easily scaled up with a thru-put output on the first speaker to the second, which requires another 50' XLR.

I've seen exactly this device or the competitive JBL product used singly for voice announcements in large high school auditoriums at band and choir festivals.

Seating > 500. It is pretty effective.

Surprisingly, it is often used in rooms that have a very effective house SR system.

I guess the ease of setup and use sets the pace.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

LOL!

At 175 pounds per speaker, we know for sure that the guy who recommended them has never actually moved and set up a portable PA system.

That Anchor Audio system up in the $3k range no longer looks even slightly gold-plated in comparison.

Spoken with authority - as usual.
I own 3 pair of them.

And I have worked more hours with professional SR systems than you have listened to them. Hell, I will bet I have spent more hours actually designing large SR systems than you have spent listening to them.

But hey, I'm sure you know all about them having had to Google them to even find out what they are and discovering how much they weigh!!
But funny. while you were at it, how come you didn't discover the actual origin of them - having been designed as a portable PA for Winthrop Rockefeller's gubernatorial campaign.
post #19 of 19 Old 02-21-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
At this point, we have not heard back from the thread starter about more details of his needs.

Kevin
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page