AV sound (R/W) = distortion (pos/crackles) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-05-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Meetloaf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently switched from my old Samsung DLP to a newer (2009-ish) Samsung LCD. I don't off the top of my head remember the model, but I think it's http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/LN52B750U1F

HDMI sound is sounds just fine. But whenever I am running something that inputs the R/W AV cables, I get some pretty good distortion (e.g., my Wii, an old VCR, old video camera). Sometimes it is bad enough to the point where I just avoid doing these activities.

I know it deals with the TV. I have an older receiver (late 90s...yes it's ancient =] ) and when I bypass the TV, I do not get the distortion.

Any clues? Does it deal with the electrical current in my home? Why don't I hear this distortion with sound over HDMI?

Thanks for your help!
Meetloaf13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
walbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Describe "distortion" - are we talking about hum? crackling? pops? what?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
walbert is offline  
post #3 of 4 Old 03-06-2012, 04:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetloaf13 View Post

I recently switched from my old Samsung DLP to a newer (2009-ish) Samsung LCD. I don't off the top of my head remember the model, but I think it's http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/LN52B750U1F

HDMI sound is sounds just fine. But whenever I am running something that inputs the R/W AV cables, I get some pretty good distortion (e.g., my Wii, an old VCR, old video camera). Sometimes it is bad enough to the point where I just avoid doing these activities.

I know it deals with the TV. I have an older receiver (late 90s...yes it's ancient =] ) and when I bypass the TV, I do not get the distortion.

Any clues?

Yes, there is a high probability that the TV set itself has experienced a partial failure.

Quote:


Does it deal with the electrical current in my home?

No.

Quote:


Why don't I hear this distortion with sound over HDMI?

I've actually seen similar failures in my own work. I encountered a HDTV in a homeless shelter where all of the analog inputs both audio and video (RCA, S-Video, component) were dead, while HDMI inputs and the internal receiver were still working.

Inside the TV set various signals are handled by various chips. If only one of these chips fails, which can happen spontaneously, then some of the inputs can fail, while others continue to work.

In my situation I know that the common characteristic of the internal receiver and HDMI is that they work in the digital domain, as do the internal audio and video circuits. The location of the failure was probably common to all of the analog inputs, whether audio or video.

Usually repair of older TVs is uneconomical and difficult because repair parts can be hard to find or every expensive.
arnyk is offline  
post #4 of 4 Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Meetloaf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the responses.

The sounds I hear are crackles and pops, they increase in volume as I increase the volume.

What I have is a set of older Bose speakers (5.1) connected to an old receiver. 100% analog R/W connections in and out.

So, I have analog R/W from the TV to the receiver. Since I do not hear the crackles/pops when playing audio that is sourced the HDMI, but still out to the receiver via analog R/W, that may or may not help diagnose everything.

Additionally, I think we can rule the receiver out of this, b/c I hear the crackles and pops when playing over the TV speakers. It also happens regardless of which R/W AV inputs I am using.
Meetloaf13 is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off