Is this possible with a Audyssey Reciever? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-21-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have googled this and nothing.

Currently have a 5.1 setup but I may add another 2 speakers just for music only. Right now with my Denon 989 receiver, I can use "B" channel for music by setting Front Speaker Setup to B Channel when using Direct/Stereo. Will Audyssey do its thing to these extra speakers or is it limited to one set of Left and Right speakers?

Also, for some weird reason if using the preamp outs the "B" channel does not work (just tested it with extra speakers I have). I dunno if this is limitation of the receiver I'm using but the only way I can get it work if I use the actual speaker connections and not use the preamp out. Maybe I will need to upgrade to a new receiver.

Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Almost every AVR with Audyssey has only one EQ set for each of the channels. If you use it for the front L/R, it will be inappropriate and defeated for a "B" set or other "zone."

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 7 Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Almost every AVR with Audyssey has only one EQ set for each of the channels. If you use it for the front L/R, it will be inappropriate and defeated for a "B" set or other "zone."

Well that kinda sucks, but makes sense. Since I mostly play 2 ch. from my laptop connected via HDMI I always could use software EQ.

So the only other issue I need to figure out is what receiver to buy next as I can't use "B" channel for two channel audio if using the pre out on the amp for L/R. I know I can use the speaker connections for L/R for "A" and "B" channels to make it work. However, I can find another receiver that will allow "B" ch to work on the speaker connection, when "A" ch is on pre out or vice versa, than that would be better.

Edit: So, I guess what I'm asking is there a receiver out there that has pre outs for both "A" and "B" channels?
post #4 of 7 Old 03-22-2012, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I don't follow what you're trying to do with the B speakers: are they in the same room or as intended in zone 2 different room? If you want to listen to music in the same room then why not use A speakers and RC should take care of a 2CH source and output accordingly, if in another room then obviously RC doesn't apply. Or are you trying to use both A and B at the same time in the same room?

Also when you say "using Direct/stereo" doesn't that mean analogue direct with no processing?

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #5 of 7 Old 03-22-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker View Post

Edit: So, I guess what I'm asking is there a receiver out there that has pre outs for both "A" and "B" channels?

No but there are many with additional zone outputs.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6 of 7 Old 03-22-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

No but there are many with additional zone outputs.

Since I'm not using the back two speakers for a full 7.1, I am now just realizing I can use those connections for zone 2 on my amp. Your reply just reminded me about that, thanks. Problem solved.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-22-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

I don't follow what you're trying to do with the B speakers: are they in the same room or as intended in zone 2 different room?

Yeah, I will be using them in the same room and placed just on the inside of my other L/R's. I have it figured out now, and it will work with the receiver I have.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page