Speaker cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 03-27-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, could anyone let me know what I would expect to pay for good speaker wire,

I will be running 4 core to each volume control and them 2 core from controls to speakers the longest run would be around 15m,

Been looking about but there's that many different types and prices I would know what is poor fair or good, since spending quite a lot of time and money on this project I wouldn't want to just get the cheapest stuff I can find ( even though I've got by with 2.5 t+e ac cable for the past few years which sounds absolutely fine!

So anything would probably be an improvement to that, I hope anyway.

I am really tempted to just run the 2.5 ac flex for the speakers as I'm an electrician and can get it very cheap and to me it's just exactly the same stuff?

Any thoughts please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
www.monoprice.com

Sounds like you are doing in-wall wiring - they have a selection of 4 conductor and 2 conductor CL2 rated cables of various gages for very reasonable prices.

Please avoid the "name brand" audiophile cables. Not necessary to carry a signal properly.

post #3 of 61 Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
See the BIBLE OF SPEAKER WIRE.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #4 of 61 Old 03-27-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
It doesn't look like you are in the US or Canada, some I'm not sure AC power cables are available to you. The best budget speaker cable is 4 core AC power cable. In the US that would be 3 insulated power wires (cores) and a bare (PE/EGC) wire. Connect the diagonal pairs together and use it as a 2 core speaker cable.

Let's see 2.5mm2 is about 13AWG so 2 core in parallel would be about 10AWG. You could use one size smaller cable.

Kevin
post #5 of 61 Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie2012 View Post

Hi, could anyone let me know what I would expect to pay for good speaker wire,

I will be running 4 core to each volume control and them 2 core from controls to speakers the longest run would be around 15m,

Been looking about but there's that many different types and prices I would know what is poor fair or good, since spending quite a lot of time and money on this project I wouldn't want to just get the cheapest stuff I can find ( even though I've got by with 2.5 t+e ac cable for the past few years which sounds absolutely fine!

So anything would probably be an improvement to that, I hope anyway.

I am really tempted to just run the 2.5 ac flex for the speakers as I'm an electrician and can get it very cheap and to me it's just exactly the same stuff?

Any thoughts please

2.5 t&e means you're an Aussie or Kiwi. That is perfectly fine for speaker cable, I use it myself most of the time. Flexible of the same gauge is more expensive usually due to the extra strands but will make no difference. If you pay for anything more , you're a mug.

Roger Russell's site has a good gauge vs length chart but I'm on my phone so I can't link easily.
Edit: Sorry, didn't notice the link by cavu in post #3.
post #6 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I have a related question. Are the interconnects sold by monoprice good quality? They're cheap, as in under $3. I have been reading and don't want to pay $100/pr for Audioquest.
post #7 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Are the interconnects sold by monoprice good quality?

They work fine.

Quote:
I have been reading and don't want to pay $100/pr for Audioquest.

Smart man.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #8 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post

I have a related question. Are the interconnects sold by monoprice good quality? They're cheap, as in under $3. I have been reading and don't want to pay $100/pr for Audioquest.

Apart from the odd reports of some duds (which get replaced FOC), they seem to be good from what you read here. If you wish to move a bit further up market in terms of construction and perhaps looks, try Blue Jeans or a local broadcast production centre. There are many all over the world who'll make good cables at reasonable prices, that will last forever using quality Belden, Canare, Mogami etc conductors and Neutrik connectors.
post #9 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 PM

Thanks. I have considered using Canare LV 61S cable and terminating it with Canare connectors myself, but that would cost more than those from monoprice. It looks like I'll be running analog out from an Oppo 95, so 7 runs from it to my preamp.

I prewired my HT with LV 61S from my equipment rack to the screen wall, and am terminating it at a wallplate, and another run for the sub. I'll run interconnects from the wall plate to my power amp (Brston 4B SST2) and sub. Wondering what speaker cable to use for the Bryston to WATT Puppy run. For the surrounds, I ran 4-18 cable and am using two conductions per terminal. Again, I'm not going to waste money on overpriced speaker cable.
post #10 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post

Wondering what speaker cable to use for the Bryston to WATT Puppy run.

Go back and read the article linked in post #3.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #11 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 PM

I already had. Funny, because my WPs have always been hooked up with the 4-18 stuff, which equates to about 15 gauge. My 801s are using double runs of 16 gauge, or about 13 gauge. The shop I bought my 801s from pushed Transparent, and cringed when I went to Radio Shack to buy the 16 gauge stuff.

I think this makes good sense, at a very reasonable price:

http://www.performanceaudio.com/buy/West_Penn/227/11124

It may be a bit of overkill, but it won't cost $3K for a 8' run. It should be about $10, and the dealer has a store nearby.
post #12 of 61 Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ Looks fine.
post #13 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

See the BIBLE OF SPEAKER WIRE.

Ironic that prophet Roger Russell uses Cardas snake oil cable in his own $19,000.00 speakers. Although I would doubt he has ever sold more than a few, if any.
post #14 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffmeister View Post

Ironic that prophet Roger Russell uses Cardas snake oil cable in his own $19,000.00 speakers. Although I would doubt he has ever sold more than a few, if any.

Which model?

Reference - citation?
post #15 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Which model?

Reference - citation?

Roger's website I believe.

jn

Some discuss because they can. Others attack because they cannot. (unknown attribution)
A good man knows his own limitations...(Dirty Harry)
Lead, follow....or get out of the way..
post #16 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Apart from the odd reports of some duds (which get replaced FOC), they seem to be good from what you read here. If you wish to move a bit further up market in terms of construction and perhaps looks, try Blue Jeans or a local broadcast production centre. There are many all over the world who'll make good cables at reasonable prices, that will last forever using quality Belden, Canare, Mogami etc conductors and Neutrik connectors.

My speaker cable in-wall has always been Monoprice, interconnects between wall jacks/receiver and speakers Belkin from BJC (only because it's more flexible), most audio/video interconnect cables from receiver to other equipment has been from BJC (all of my BJC cables are 10+ years old), HDMI cables come from Monoprice, the best they sell. I've never had a cable problem.

post #17 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 AM

Liked: 49
Quote:

It gave an explanation on why. Did you not understand it?
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#cardas

Or are you a boutique cable vendor?
post #18 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Self admitted marketing ploy.
post #19 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by diomania View Post

It gave an explanation on why. Did you not understand it?
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#cardas

Or are you a boutique cable vendor?

I understand it quite well. I understand that however he tries to rationalize it, he is a hypocrite of the first order that does not have the courage of his proclaimed convictions.
post #20 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I understand it quite well. I understand that however he tries to rationalize it, he is a hypocrite of the first order that does not have the courage of his proclaimed convictions.

Actually, you didn't understand it at all.

Let me summarize for you. He uses it because there are lots of gullible people out there and it will sell more speakers.

He's quite clear, odd that you can't seem to grasp the simple logic or perhaps you don't know the meaning of the word hypocrite.
post #21 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

That's one way to look at it. You could also say he's a fisherman dangling a nice lure. Like Nike, Coke, Ford, etc.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #22 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

Actually, you didn't understand it at all.

Let me summarize for you. He uses it because there are lots of gullible people out there and it will sell more speakers.

He's quite clear, odd that you can't seem to grasp the simple logic or perhaps you don't know the meaning of the word hypocrite.

I don't understand it either.
Placebo effect only works when you sell it. You can't tell someone "here's a sugar pill" and expect it will make their pain go away.
post #23 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Not even close. His explanation is clear for all to see - he's including it because perspective buyers want it, not because he believes it improves the SQ.

Do you think Bud and Miller truly believe drinking their products will make you irresistible to attractive women or realize that the association between the two improves sales? At least Roger posts about it bluntly where any buyer doing the smallest modicum of research will find it.
post #24 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post

I don't understand it either.
Placebo effect only works when you sell it. You can't tell someone "here's a sugar pill" and expect it will make their pain go away.

The placebo affect is still working here because the people buying it because it has Cardas don't believe what Russell thinks. The pain will still go away if you don't believe it's a sugar pill, no matter what you're told.

That internal Cardas wiring isn't that expensive, either. I looked it up once before and it was only a couple of dollars a foot.
post #25 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFire View Post

The placebo affect is still working here because the people buying it because it has Cardas don't believe what Russell thinks. The pain will still go away if you don't believe it's a sugar pill, no matter what you're told.

True enough, but the rate of success is much less when you inform the subject he's getting a placebo.

You must admit it is disingenuous and I truly doubt it's a successful marketing strategy.
post #26 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Do you think Bud and Miller truly believe drinking their products will make you irresistible to attractive women or realize that the association between the two improves sales? At least Roger posts about it bluntly where any buyer doing the smallest modicum of research will find it.

They don't say beer makes you more attractive.
They advertise that beer makes a party fun.
The fact that all the people in the ads are extremely attractive, especially the women, is no different than the vast majority of ads using sex to sell.

Now if the president of Anheuser Busch creates a WEB page saying that beer drinkers are boorish ne'er do wells destined to live a sad, lonely life it would be similar.
post #27 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post

roger's website i believe.

url?
post #28 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post

You must admit it is disingenuous and I truly doubt it's a successful marketing strategy.

I might, possibly, be able to buy disingenuous, but it also could be considered brutal honesty.

As for marketing, that's exactly what he's doing. He's selling image. We're talking about marketing to believers. People who buy with their hearts and emotions rather then brains.

Having said that, I'm discounting disingenuous. Disingenuous would be saying something like, (knowing the true facts) "I have no proof that Cardas wire will improve the sound, but some say to the discriminating audiophile they will."

Instead he's saying something like "they won't improve the sound but I offer them because there are suckers born every minute. How many pair would you like."
post #29 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

Instead he's saying something like "they won't improve the sound but I offer them because there are suckers born every minute. How many pair would you like."

Your right disingenuous is the wrong word.

Do you really think that's good marketing strategy?
post #30 of 61 Old 04-03-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

url?

It's the link everybody is talking about. In the table of contents page, the left column on the bottom.

j

Some discuss because they can. Others attack because they cannot. (unknown attribution)
A good man knows his own limitations...(Dirty Harry)
Lead, follow....or get out of the way..
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page