Am I setting up my level with my SPL meter correct - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So I bought the RS Digital SPL meter and am trying it for the first time. IF I read things correctly, I have done the following...

1. Set my SPL meter to C weighting, Slow response and 80 on the dial.
2. Get the test tone from my AVR (Yamaha RX-V765)
3. Set all the speaker levels to zero
4. Run the test tone and turn volume up to reference level, 0 db on the dial.
5. Adjust the trim on each speaker and the sub so that the meter reads 75db on all levels.

Am I doing something wrong or is this right? I am -8.5 on my Empire and thats with the sub at 11 o'clock. Im thinking of turning down the sub to the 9 O'clock position and re-doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One other thing, when I am sitting in my listening position and holding the meter level, I will get 75db but when I hold it upright, I am getting 72-73. I set each level to 75db holding it upright.

Dont know it this makes a difference...
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone???
post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Some say point it straight up, others say point at a 45 degree angle. I get a small .5db difference with some of the speakers in the two different ways (close enough).
Turn the meter to 70db for measuring to 75db, it's supposedly more accurate than measuring down to 75db from 80db.
Seems like I said you should set the Empire between 9 & 10 to run YPAO(because I knew how much output it would probably have in your room)
post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbuzz View Post

Some say point it straight up, others say point at a 45 degree angle. I get a small .5db difference with some of the speakers in the two different ways (close enough).
Turn the meter to 70db for measuring to 75db, it's supposedly more accurate than measuring down to 75db from 80db.
Seems like I said you should set the Empire between 9 & 10 to run YPAO(because I knew how much output it would probably have in your room)

I did that (set it between 9-10) and run YPAO. Then I had to re-adjust for the speaker settings (large vs small). I guess my main question is do I turn the volume on the AVR to zero db?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 PM

If YPAO is setting your speakers to 75db and it sets the subs trim to -8.5db then the sub will be running +8.5dbs hot when the trim is set to 0. That's pretty hot but whatever you like.
If YPAO is not setting to 75dbs (it doesn't mine because of extreme differences between surrounds and mains) then just use your SLM to adjust everything equally, knowing that the sub, when the meter is fluctuating (as much as 2dbs) is probably closest to being calibrated to speakers on the lowest reading on meter (may depend on meter, see below), then just add whatever extra you want.
Not sure what RS SLM you have but there may be a correction file somewhere for it in the subwoofer section stickies, not sure if newest ones need any correction. most corrections are between 1-3 dbs in warble tone frequencies of sub tone, you have to add to the readings
post #7 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM

Most AVRs calibrate to 75dbs so I think most users just go with that, besides for a living room set-up 75dbs is pretty loud.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 07:21 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

... I guess my main question is do I turn the volume on the AVR to zero db?

My AVR automatically raises the volume to zero dB when running the channel balance routine, so I'd say you're doing it right.

My manual stated the microphone should be pointed straight up for the tests, but I found the auto-equalization routine resulted in sound that was just too bright. So I re-ran the test with the mic tilted at 45° from vertical and it now it sounds great. I guess most mic's roll off treble faster than the lower frequencies when aimed off axis.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-03-2012, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I have an Onkyo 808 with Audyssey Mult EQ and I have a Radio Shack Digital SPL meter.

I bought a cheap $20 tripod from bhphotovideo.com. I set that in the different positions for the Audyssey measurements with the Audyssey mic attached to it. After Audy is done I then put the SPL meter on the tripod and tilt the head so the mic is facing the ceiling (keeping it at the same height as the Audy mic (about ear level on the furniture)). Then I use the meter to calibrate, however the spl meter and Audyssey come up about 4db different so to hit 75db on the meter I have to basically turn each speaker up 4db. But the beauty of the calibration is you can do what suits you. Setting all channels to 75db is the "correct" way. However I set my front L&R to 75db, Center to 77db, surrounds to 73db. Also I have 2 subs so before I run Audy I use the spl meter at the mlp to set each sub individually to 75db with the receiver sub level at 0db( so with both subs on that 78db), then after Audy I bump th avr up to +2db.

Shawn
post #10 of 11 Old 04-03-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo2.0 View Post

My AVR automatically raises the volume to zero dB when running the channel balance routine, so I'd say you're doing it right.

My manual stated the microphone should be pointed straight up for the tests, but I found the auto-equalization routine resulted in sound that was just too bright. So I re-ran the test with the mic tilted at 45° from vertical and it now it sounds great. I guess most mic's roll off treble faster than the lower frequencies when aimed off axis.

No guess, a statement of true fact. Depends on the diameter of the diaphragm of the measuring microphone, which is often biggish on cheap SPL meters.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-03-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
direct (free-field) mics = point directly at the source
diffuse-field mics = check with manufacture
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page